Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gears2 Environment Art

Replies

• Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Hazardous- A lot of it is Zbrush stamps, about 30% of it is by hand initially, then i stamp on top, then i blend and ding
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TelekineticFrog polycounter lvl 18
    Beautiful sculpts man. Very inspirational work.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    Haha, touche. We had a big push recently to address that issue in the environments in DS2 (I take no responsibility for those crazy char artists), so it is something I have been more aware of since then. Those doors read well for that reason I think.

Anyway, great sculpts.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really? Personally, I really like the stylized dimensions in Darksiders, its part of what gave it its own distinctive look. Not everyone is a comic art fan though, it does seem like the majority connect more easily with realistic designs that are more restrained.

Wasn't really looking to play tit for tat with you as much as I might have appeared to be. I think it's easy to 2nd guess ourselves and listen to the wrong feedback once we release a game. Whether its the right move or not, I've been trying to restrain myself more in general and rely on more open forms, I don't know if thats liked internally or will be externally but we have to try something new each time right?
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    Yea I'm a fan of that style as well, the goal I think is just to make sure to use it appropriately so the scene is still readable to facilitate gameplay and the visual design, and of course to use it where you get the most bang for your buck. That's the main reason I was curious about your thought process, our workflow is a bit less specialized so we do world building in addition to sculpting and have to confront some of those issues that it sounds like might be solved by an LD with lighting and placement in your pipeline.
  • Irodex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irodex polycounter lvl 18
    Beautiful work man. I was curious...what program are you rending your high res in for these images? These look beautiful and they show off your work very nicely!
  • paulsvoboda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paulsvoboda polycounter lvl 12
    Beautiful work. I was so excited when I saw this thread come back up.

As much as I love all your work, I am much more a fan of your more 'solid', modeled out, low(er)-detail intensive pieces. The Palace Hanglight, Palace Brazier and the Rock Bone in particular have some beautiful shapes, excellent flow throughout and great reserved details.
    The other pieces are all excellent too, these are just the ones that really stand out, at least for me. :)

I read above that you're trying to work on more open forms. I was wondering, what do you enjoy working on more, the detail intensive pieces or the ones more focused on solid shapes (if this makes no sense, the Hanglight or the Circle Floor)?

Also, I would love to see what you would come up with working under your own personally defined art style. That would be really interesting to see.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    YES! Love the new stuff man. It's very motivating to see all the work. Are you going to start the Conan personal project again?
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Thanks for the updates :)
    Inspiration ftw!
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    nice updates! looking forward to the site :) hopefully others will follow... *cough*moose/jw/rev*cough*
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Incredibly inspirational Kevin. Very nice work! Thank you very much for sharing these environment art gemstones! :)

You probably had one heck of alot of RAM to make many of these assets didn't you. :P
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    I've never played the Gear games but your sculpts are really strong on the eyes. I'm surprised the crazy amount of detail actually worked!

But bravo on making these assets cause they're beautiful.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Nice pieces, KJ. Your Zbrush work has always been a big inspiration.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the encouragement folks.

Paul : I like both really. I do prefer strong clear flowing forms, bolder designs, but I like concentric designs that are borderline fantasy as its fun to just let go. I prefer more eye rest than the Locust set pushed, theres some stuff in Gears3 I'm happier with though I cant share that stuff until it ships.

Conan... yes, soon as I get the webpage up I'm intent on rediscovering my own style, I haven't really produced work for myself since I started at Epic
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Do you never think 'Damn, these huge swords in Darksiders are pretty dumb?' or 'gee, should the characters heads be so squished ?' heh

HA! Well I'm working hard to make sure yall like the weapons on Darksiders 2. :poly124:

I think our art team here is pretty awesome personally and I like both styles (realistic, and ultra stylized). I can play games like Mass Effect, and Darksiders in the same sitting and really enjoy both visually and gameplay-wise.

My first impression was "whoah...thats some very noisy detail", but once its in-game and lit + broken up with props and whatnot, it looks great so kudos on another round of awesome art from Mr. Johnstone.

I guess you aren't the guy who's doing the low-poly versions + textures? I'm a little surprised that you seem to post exclusively the high-poly work, but if you aren't the one making the game-ready assets, then of course this makes sense now.
  • jayoplus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome work indeed Kevin.
    This is all.

Please give us website soon :) And definitely looking forward to seeing the Gears 3 artwork. Were a lot of the pieces you did for gears two reused or remodeled?
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    Really great stuff, Kevin. I'd love to see a quick tutorial on how you apply the stamps in Zbrush, and some of your favorite alphas.
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    Wow! Hehe. I love that candle stand (I think), that last column, and those chain link hook pieces. Is there anyway I could see a low poly for one of these (it doesn't matter which)? I would just love to see how you modeled the low polys to hold some of this detail.
  • Rico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome stuff man! I got a couple of questions...

What is the average workflow for you? Do you create the high poly models and then hand them over to someone else? Or do you also create the low poly models and textures?
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Are you rendering in an orthographic view o_O

Good job as always mate.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, more updates in this thread? Awesome!
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    I went looking for this thread in the archive and was surprised to find it wasn't there--maybe a moderator can get it there finally? This thread keeps offering excellent, detailed workflow information.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    this thread should be stickied.

also, i enjoyed the UT3 hard surface work MAY more. But this is cool too. lol
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    This information is available here;
    http://wiki.polycount.com/CategoryEnvironmentModeling?highlight=%28%5CbCategoryEnvironment%5Cb%29

You gotta look for it, but it's in a logical place
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Sorry if this has been asked already, but Kevin do you do all your work from provided concept art or is most of this just modeling on the fly and coming up with architectural designs and themes as you go?
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shots of the concepts I got and the work I produced based on them are on my website in the Work/Gears2 section. That demonstrates how much is the concept and how much is me.

The concept I had for the Cog Hospital set

COG_Hospital_Concept.jpg

The concept for the Locust Palace set

LOC_Palace_Concept.jpg
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Kevin, you're amazing. Everything from your humble beginnings to who you are now, you're an inspiration to me. Thank you for sharing all of this with us.
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    Damn, thats not alot to work from.. Impressive :)
  • jimmypopali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good Kevin.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Daaang, so you're creating a lot of the fine detail yourself, really impressive.
  • ibarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ibarter polycounter lvl 8
    Nice, it's cool seeing it from concept to creation.
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    Mr Johnstone, i read your article on the front page, and now more than ever i am very inspired to do even bigger things! Keep on kicking ass!
  • Zelenkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelenkov polycounter lvl 9
    Same here. After looking at your art, I'm more motivated than ever. Glad you've won your battle! Keep on living and making mind-blowing art!
  • WillMac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gears is one of my most played series.. tactical squad sci-fi. I really enjoyed the locust part of 2 and what you did, also back to the unreal stuff. Your art is inspirational.. keep showing us.
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bcottage polycounter lvl 13
    I love the locust concept art. Its as if they thought "how can i trick kevin and confuse the hell of of him"

days later

"Dammm youuu Kevin!!"
  • jaaamesss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Kevin,

nice work by the way. I have just one think i dont understand. You export your bricks from Zbrush to Max. But on your image i can see very good level of details in MAx? Is it sculpt or texture on High poly Bricks? How do i reach this effect? I mean cracks and other small details? Thank you.
  • 3dshay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    God Bless man, amazing work, years and years and this thread still catch the eyes . the last reply which is a question from jaaamesss is my question too, other part is how beautiful rocks been made, would like to know the way ;)
  • Kid.in.the.Dark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kid.in.the.Dark polycounter lvl 6
    He most likely used decimation master to get those fine details. it triangulates your quaded sculpt to reach small crevices on the surface which your quads don't show. That then allows your model to be very low in triangles with the loss of such subtle detail that your normal maps wouldn't even notice wasn't there.
  • 3dshay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see, the main thing which I really love, is the creation of the brick details themselves . are those alpha or something similar ? what about the bic pieces of stones which looks SO real ? :)