Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Updating my port

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
Haven't made any real updates to my portfolio in a couple of years since I started working in games. I'm finishing up a couple of scenes that I've been inspired to do lately, and plan on making a few more within the next couple of months.

Please feel free to either high-five or bitch-slap me. All projects are still considered WIP so all suggestions are more than welcome. Thanks - adm

ds_lab_024.jpg

I can put up wireframes later, but this is about 50k tris, 4 tileable 1024 materials.
There are still some areas that are not yet textured (below the clone chamber, a few panels back by the doorway etc)

edit - most recent image

Highres_Screenshot_00001.jpg

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    HIRE RESOLUTION NOW! :D

Also, this entire thing is 4x1024x1024 tileables? So only 4 tiling textures? What?

Looks great, but I wanna know more!
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    dude..no concrete overlay? pffft Im outta here..

seriously though, I like this- it's nicely modeled, color separation is on point, lighting contrast etc etc. I think it's cleanliness is setting apart from how most people would handle this subject matter. Can't wait to see it finished.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    awesome work man, a breakdown would be nice. your work has really improved from when I remember seeing it a couple years ago, I guess some time in the trenches will do that for you :D cant wait to see more of this scene.
  • XRevan23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XRevan23 polycounter lvl 15
    the scenes looks very nice and clean. Sometimes when you look at it to me it looks like a concept. Especial the right side of the scene. Good Job
  • dekorkh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dekorkh triangle
    Awesome! I think it came out really great - definitely finish it, screen-right jumps out as neglected.

If you want nit-picky, something about the whole thing feels a little miniature.. might be the height/thickness of the railings or the cables... maybe the doorway? i'm not totally sure.

I'm glad u left some areas clean, it's a hard decision u pulled it off. The colors/lighting are fantastic, especially the displays. win.

Keep it up!!! :thumbup:
  • jakelear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jakelear polycounter lvl 14
    This is hot, can't wait to see more details.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Love everything about it, I felt a sharp pang of envy for a bit but it's past. I agree, higher res for a desktop, and what I'd mostly like to see is some shots of your assets and texturemaps. Rock on, bro!
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made a little more progress on this scene... I noticed that I hadn't even textured like... 5 or 6 major pieces in this scene... (i still have about 3 things left to do...)

Also, I think I'm going to port this in to UDK and see what kind of lighting I can get away with in there... Max lighting is cool and all but I think UDK is gonna be the way to really get some buzz outta this piece.

So thyanks for the kind words so far. Leave any crits if you see fit... even if you think it's a small detail, my work is never done and I'd love to continue to iterate and improve this mother. I've got another scene that i haven't finished that's similar to this one that i'll be getting back in to soon as well and posting updates within the next couple weeks.

ds_lab_028.jpg
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ps - how can i upload this image to photobucket without them automatically down-rezzing it to 1024x450? It's literally half-rezzing it for me :(
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    you can set a size limit in photobucket i believe.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    What ZacD said, you'll want to get a dropbox account. Photobucket is anal about sizes and bandwidth.

Looks amazing BTW, the envy pains are coming back...
  • MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    *cough* Thought the first image in this thread was the final >.> *cough*

Looks awesome, has a concept-art feel to it for some reason.
    Looking forward to more!
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK I got a drop box going... finished these scene off today - added some light fog, some textures on all of the lights... well - just finished texturing everything so I"m calling it done unless someone has any final suggestions. Cheers!

DS_Lab_Final_001.jpg

edit - fixed the link
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Link dosnt work btw, I dont use dropbox myself so i cant help you with that.
    I had the same problem with photobucket, so i changed to imgur.com works great for me.

Looking at the other pictures you have posted in this thread, it looks stunning, as others said it has a concept art feel to it.
    Wondering if you have ported it to UDK, i hope you did ;)
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    having the dark dim lighting on the far right makes it feel unfinished, like you missing some major piece back in that small area to light it up and make it feel apart of the scene (and you might have plans for something there already i unno) and yes i know its unfinished - but it makes it feel more unfinished then it really is...

and just wondering if anyone else is bothered by that door in the back? every time i look it and i wonder why it isn't lined up with the steps... i want to know whats beside the door that's so important that the steps go up in between the two instead of leading straight to the doorway, not saying it looks bad or anything lol your scene in whole looks great, that's just something that seems to catch my focus every time i look at it
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Candystrips - thanks for the comments - I've heard before that the back right corner needs to be lit or finished... for a while there it was completely empty, and after filling it I never thought to go do much with the lighting - but yeah I'm gonna go ahead and do that for sure now!

As for the door not being in line with the stairs you indeed are correct! :) I agree that it looks okay and all but if this were a game environment (which i do intend) then it would make way more sense to be in line with the stairs for sure... I'll poke around iwth moving it about and maybe shifting the camera as well. Cheers!
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeee glad to hear i can be helpful for once :D!!
  • ariofighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ariofighter polycounter lvl 13
    I think I might actually pay you to see texture flats. It looks really good, and the level of detail keeps my eye looking everywhere. I do agree with the above comments, the door situation doesn't bother me as much though. Wire frames would be also loved if you have them handy.

Needless to say I have found a new background and inspiration, thank you.
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Ariofights thanks for the niceness. Here's those flats - free o charge. i compressed them down a bit, but you cna still get the idea of how it all works. They all tile horizontally, except the floor grates, it tiles horiz. and vert.

DS_Lab_Flats_001.jpg
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    very cool. thx for sharing those.
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adding this image to the folio - went back and touched some things up. Admittedly it's falling short of the lab scene, so I'll maybe keep trying to tweak this one into goodness, but I don't think it's worth investing much more time in to. I'd rather start a new project.

ds_env_angle1_final_001.jpg
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    awesome stuff man. i like the small things like the wall poster
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Adding a subtle specular to the edges could give more interest and more depth.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice second piece buddy !
    yea i wouldn't invest too much time into it, looks pretty mint already, your first piece is coming along beautifully - and now you speak of a third???
    mannnnn cant wait to see that one unfold !
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    The first scene is really quite good, but I agree the second falls a bit short.
    Its a space/sci-fi scene, but everything in it seems so banal & generically industrial...not at all futuristic or spacey really.
    I think we've got higher tech looking spaceships right NOW. I had to notice the windows looking out over a planet to even tell it was a spaceship and not an earthbound foundry/military base/factory.
    It seems you've constructed it almost entirely with geo & re-use of tiling textures, and I understand this is common practice in enviro art, but its really letting you down here.

I think spend a bit more time on the design. You've clearly got the skills to execute well. Maybe team up with a concept artist from work?
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I decided to start putting this scene in Unreal to see what I could do with it. Haven't used Unreal in like 3 years so I'm stumbling through this while re-learning everything. Anyway, here's where I'm at so far.

DS_Lsab_wip_1.jpg
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    It's looking really good- I feel like you could tone back some of the grainy bump or detail normal on some of the meshes, most notably on the right hand pillar thing-coupled with the rusty texture I don't think it's working to your advantage.
  • stubs3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stubs3d polycounter lvl 10
    Love it, good stuff!
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good suggestions Dan! I'll tweak some more mats tomorrow. I was poking around with this a bit more... switched some stuff up... working a bit more on the mood.

The more I mess with the scene the more I find there is to do. :(

Highres_Screenshot_00001.jpg
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Hey that looks very nice!

One thing I don't like very much is the right side of the composition, it's just an empty pitch black space. For some reason my eyes keep getting dragged to that area, and that's very annoying. I think you could fix that by placing a dim spotlight illuminating that wall. Would make the general composition more uniform imo.

Keep up the good work!
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    ya i agree with Minotaur0 about the right side.

should be fine if your just throw some warm light like you got in the forfront there with a console or crates for interest, or maybe even a 2nd door.
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    pretty badass man!
    only suggestion I would add is that piece of fog clipping into the pipe right in the middle of your image - there is possibly a better way for it to interact with objects.

try messing around with the DepthBiasedAlpha node as seen near the bottom of this page:
    http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/VolumetricLightbeamTutorial.html

might work, give it a shot!