Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] – Ron_Freeman

Hey guys just looking for some critiques on making my portfolio better. I'm also looking for employment as well.

http://ronfreemancgart.blogspot.com/

Replies

• aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    I recommend making the backgrounds on the renders lighter, and not black. Its sometimes hard to see, at least for some people the work. You should have more pieces of work in there, unless im missing something. Good work though.
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    I am not really digging the setup of your blog at all. I know people these are leaning towards creating a blog for their website but that doesn't mean you literally just take the blog and put artwork on it.

Maybe it does... idk...

but here is an example of one of my friends who graduated and got a job using a blog within the last year. She used the pages feature to create her model pages and then linked them on one blog post on the front using thumbnails.

http://www.chelseaedwards.net/
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    your background causes a flicker when I scroll, I don't know if the slashed gray/black diagonal background is a good idea.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    I think one of the main things you should focus on is improving your texture skills. study reference pics of similar objects and apply what you see there to you work. right now your textures seem to consist of tiling photoshop created metals that are quite noisy but lack any specific detail. things like edge highlights and surface variation go a long way.

also, I noticed both your pieces list zbrush in their creation but the normal maps both look like they were created with crazybump. the uv islands popping out around all edges give that away as well as the gradients across the normals.

to be completely honest your portfolio isn't good enough to be looking for a professional job yet, there is only 2 pieces and their quality could be improved with a couple revisions. I would suggest trying to create a few environment pieces and not just props/assets. the mech in the turn around vid looked pretty neat but it would be better if it was a true highpoly or fully textured.

keep at it man, keep posting your work and with some critiques im sure you will be kicking ass in no time. hope this wasnt too harsh but it should help you more than a less to the point crit i hope.
  • mrturtlepaste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think maybe you should try to get some of your art hitting our eyes before your resume. Maybe you could have the resume somewhere else and make the first post a couple shots of something you are proud of. Goodluck with your search.
  • burtonyang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with what LMP, PixelMasher, and mrturtlepaste said. Some things I noticed is that your images are very blurry which isn't good. And that huge watermark in the center of your work distracts me from the artwork.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    You list more projects and proficencies than your portfolio presents.

and as Pixelmasher said, it's just not ready to be a portfolio.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Angled backgrounds can work, but you should avoid:
    -high contrast colors
    -very close pattern (use thicker lines, or wider spacing between them)
    and you should test the pattern in a couple of browsers.
    snagna.png
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/448525/Portfolio%202011_003/test.html

I agree on changing the render-background. There's a reason Max and Maya use medium gray as the viewport background - it's a very neutral color.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    I would remove that wall of text that comes in your face when entering your site, that should be found when downloading your resume.

Make viewer see art right away, thats why they are there right.

And last but not least keep on working, you dont want to stop working because you are looking for a job.

Hope this helps :)
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    - Instead of "CG Art", you should write your title, so people can easily know what kind of artist you are (ex: Character artist, environment artist, texture artist...)
    - Always put your work before your r
  • Animesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you all for your great and honest advice, I will place these into practice and post a better portfolio. Also (http://cg.tutsplus.com/articles/news...etal-textures/) tutorial was very helpful thanks a lot.