Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

New portfolio: HitmonInfinity. Please critique.

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
Hi folks,

Last year I asked for some feedback on my horrific site. I'm finally getting around to making the changes. It's super dirty (This is my first attempt at doing the site myself.) but I think it's a lot more efficient than before.

Here's my site:
http://www.kerbywithane.com/

And for the heck of it, here's what it used to be:
http://www.kerbywithane.com/

I'm looking for full-time work as an environment or prop artist. I'm currently working on a new environment to show off, but for now my title stays at 3D artist simply because I'm really lacking on environments. (And portfolio pieces in general to be honest.)

Could I get some feedback on the new site? Also, please critique my work. Do I have my assets in an appropriate order? Do any need to be removed entirely?

-HitmonInfinity

EDIT: I work for speedtree. I should probably make that more clear when showing speedtree work

Replies

• -Em'-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -Em'- polycounter lvl 8
    It's way better than the older, but I think you can gain some visibility by changing the black background to a greyish background, and maybe add sort of logo do represent yourself ? Or a distinguish sign ?

wha do you think of it's color ? http://uppix.net/2/d/6/614f42b727dc0be98c4db8e50182c.jpg
    It fit quite well with your trees ^^

And also, I'll put a higher space between your name and the browser header if I were you. It looks a little pressed out imo

BTW clean and quality work ! o/
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I like it a lot, huge step up from your last one.

I'm a little confused about the foliage. It mentions speedtree. Did you model these yourself or use an external editor and change settings to produce those results?

as for feedback:
    I would perhaps offer a .doc version of your resume as well (many people simply use the PDF and .doc icons at top as download links), and a link to your email at the TOP of the page too, not just the bottom.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx wrote: »
    I like it a lot, huge step up from your last one.

I'm a little confused about the foliage. It mentions speedtree. Did you model these yourself or use an external editor and change settings to produce those results?

as for feedback:
    I would perhaps offer a .doc version of your resume as well (many people simply use the PDF and .doc icons at top as download links), and a link to your email at the TOP of the page too, not just the bottom.

I guess that could be a little confusing. I actually work for speedtree. I use it to make new trees and foliage for the library our customers receive.

Good call on the email link, I'll play around with it.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -Em'- wrote: »
    It's way better than the older, but I think you can gain some visibility by changing the black background to a greyish background, and maybe add sort of logo do represent yourself ? Or a distinguish sign ?

wha do you think of it's color ? http://uppix.net/2/d/6/614f42b727dc0be98c4db8e50182c.jpg
    It fit quite well with your trees ^^

And also, I'll put a higher space between your name and the browser header if I were you. It looks a little pressed out imo

BTW clean and quality work ! o/

Originally, I wanted to have a subtle gradient in the background, but I ended up with black. I might try out a dark grey. On the image you posted, I noticed the "mangrove swamp" font is different than it should be. Is that how it's loading for you?
  • NoctyQ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the change a lot. Awesome improvement from the earlier design!
    You have some awesome stuff on it as well! :)

I don't know what I personally think of showing stuff generated in speedtree.
    Maybe not something I'd have on the top of my site.

Edit: If you work for speedtree the critic is rendered useless, you have some great stuff!
    The colour suggestion was good, the grey works well.
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would have to agree that showing work generated in speedtree isn't the best idea.

You should work on hand-making vegetaton.

Yes, this is again if you don't work for speedtree.

Scene composition looks good on the first shot up top, but it could use some variation in the form of fallen trees, rocks, ground foliage, and variation in ground textures.
  • -Em'-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -Em'- polycounter lvl 8
    I noticed the "mangrove swamp" font is different than it should be. Is that how it's loading for you?

Yes, I just painted the background :)
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    good work. but its not organized. group the trees and the hard surface stuff.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updates:

1.Fixed font issue.
    2.Lightened background a bit.
    3.Added short descriptions to each section. Should make things less confusing.
    4.Added email link at top.