Home General Discussion

need monitor advice

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
almighty_gir ngon master
after about 4 years of literally 24/7 usage, my monitor is about to shit itself. it already did it before christmas but i had it repaired, and now it's out of warranty so i need to look for a new one.

here's the thing though, i've never really been into what specs i should look for as an artist.

so with a budget of < £300, what would you all say are THE most important things to look at? do you have any monitors in mind and what are they?

thanks a lot guys.

Replies

• Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd say the most important thing is colour. Resolution is resolution to be honest, and just go for whatever you want in that regard.

One piece of advice I've got though, and this is through my own experience, is go for two identical monitors while you have the cash. I bought a Samsung display about 2 years ago, which I'm still using now and is fantastic, but when I bought a second monitor at the end of last year, I couldn't get the same one.

Despite both being Samsung, and from the same range, the colour on them is different and it's annoying. I've managed to get them close through messing with the settings but it's still slightly different.

I really recommend Samsung though. I've had 2 of their displays and two TV's at home and they've been absolutely awesome.

With your budget you could get 2x [ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-SyncMaster-B2230H-widescreen-monitor/dp/B0038P9AUU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297437699&sr=8-1[/ame]

And still have some change.

I've also heard good things about Dells IPS displays too, although never actually seen one.
  • jipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jipe polycounter lvl 17
    I have two of the Dell U2311H displays and like them a lot -- I think they were $240 each on sale. IPS panels, 1920x1080, and pretty good color accuracy when calibrated. Obviously they won't compare to the high-end NEC or Eizo displays, but those seem unnecessary unless you need flawless accuracy for $$$ projects.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking at those IPS displays now, I really can't see the benefit for that much extra money.

I mean, if you look at Dell's own description in the bullet points, the IPS benefits are 'collaboration at your desk or showing video to your colleagues'... I'm not sure my colleagues enjoyment of my display is worth an extra £90 over the Samsung.

Jokes aside, I have heard very good things about them though, might be worth checking one out 'in the flesh' if you can.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Depending on what the problem was, it might be an easy fix to do yourself. Most of the time when a monitor goes tits up its because of bad caps. Typically if one cap goes you should replace the 5-6 others that are there. The reason being when one goes out the rest have to shoulder the load, they get stressed out, overheat easily and damaged.

They're only a few cents per cap but some repair places only replace the bad ones which leaves the other ones in there as a sort of ticking time bomb. Repeat business anyone?

I'm in the process of replacing the bad caps in a monitor I had and its not as scary as you might think. So far I'm into the repair for $7, most of that was shipping for the caps.

Check out www.badcaps.net they have a good general guide and most monitors have a thread about them where people will list a walk through. If you managed to do something horribly wrong oh well no love lost. If it works, problem solved it's going to carry on for a good long while.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    well the symptom is that currently when i turn the monitor on, the screen flashes, then goes blank, but the power light is clearly on.
    turn it off again, wait 5 seconds or so, turn it on and it powers up fine, but there's like... a buzzing sound coming from the back, and the monitor flickers occasionally.

every now and again when it starts up, the backlight is incredibly dim and won't go any brighter no matter what.

also, when i tried to adjust the brightness/contrast a few minutes ago, the screen just went black, but the power light was still on (but it was black like it was off, not just black like there's no signal... you know, the backlight was completely dead).
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Looking at those IPS displays now, I really can't see the benefit for that much extra money.

I mean, if you look at Dell's own description in the bullet points, the IPS benefits are 'collaboration at your desk or showing video to your colleagues'... I'm not sure my colleagues enjoyment of my display is worth an extra £90 over the Samsung.

Jokes aside, I have heard very good things about them though, might be worth checking one out 'in the flesh' if you can.

The difference between tn and ips is pretty big, easily noticeable by the untrained eye.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG7XNwbUYEM[/ame]
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea it really sounds like you had a few caps blow and the rest are straining under the load. Which is probably tripping a load sensor if you increase the brightness, which is good because if it didn't shut off it would just burn out the caps and then never start again.

If it gets pretty hot that's normally a sign you have bad caps. If adjusting the brightness down makes it seem to work better for longer with less flickering or unexpected dimness, than its more than likely bad caps and everything else is fine.

Either way, bad caps or not, its a pretty common problem with monitors so I would check to see if any new monitors you might pick up are notorious bad cappers.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    The difference between tn and ips is pretty big, easily noticeable by the untrained eye.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG7XNwbUYEM

I appreciate that the viewing angle is quite obviously far superior on the IPS, but what I'm not sure about is why that justifies an extra £90. For a living room TV where seating positions vary, fine, but in my office, on my desk, I only sit in one place with relation to my monitor... in front of it.

As the Dell site states, it's useful for showing work to others, but on two monitors, that's £180 extra just to save your colleagues neck strain.
  • dur23
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I appreciate that the viewing angle is quite obviously far superior on the IPS, but what I'm not sure about is why that justifies an extra £90.

its not just about viewing angles, ips are better for rooms with a lot of light, and you don't even need to be at an angle to notice color shifting with a tn.

eizo-nec-center.jpg
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    I second getting an IPS monitor if you can manage it. I have an HP LP2475w and is just amazing at sharp viewing angles and has great color and response time.

For a more affordable IPS screen, try this one.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    I appreciate that the viewing angle is quite obviously far superior on the IPS, but what I'm not sure about is why that justifies an extra £90. For a living room TV where seating positions vary, fine, but in my office, on my desk, I only sit in one place with relation to my monitor... in front of it.

As the Dell site states, it's useful for showing work to others, but on two monitors, that's £180 extra just to save your colleagues neck strain.

I went the cheap route :P Used my old tn monitor as my second monitor and use my 24inch Dell IPS as the main. I use it a lot for my ps3 movie playback etc so viewing angles was a high priority for me. I can notice the color shift on my TN panel pretty easily. All in all comes down to user preferences. Try both out (if you know someone with a dell etc)
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Yea it really sounds like you had a few caps blow and the rest are straining under the load. Which is probably tripping a load sensor if you increase the brightness, which is good because if it didn't shut off it would just burn out the caps and then never start again.

If it gets pretty hot that's normally a sign you have bad caps. If adjusting the brightness down makes it seem to work better for longer with less flickering or unexpected dimness, than its more than likely bad caps and everything else is fine.

Either way, bad caps or not, its a pretty common problem with monitors so I would check to see if any new monitors you might pick up are notorious bad cappers.

aye, well this is also a 37" HDTV that i'm using as a monitor. originally it's because i was living in a bedroom and didn't have room for a PC + tv + monitor, so i went for a tv that could work as a monitor as well.

this however has led to texturing not being so easy as the screen just doesn't hold up so well for it, and isn't easily adjustable.

i'll buy a new monitor (probably an IPS), and replace the caps in this one, then use it in the bedroom as a tv :)
    thanks for the advice though man, really helpful!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahh... yea time to get a proper monitor, still check to see if the new one you're eyeballing is a notoriously bad capper or not. It's a strangely common problem and if I didn't know better they where being engineered to crap out...
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aye, well this is also a 37" HDTV that i'm using as a monitor

37" Monitor?!!!

Isn't that a bit... big?

gamer-girl.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Most important thing is getting a proper panel, E-IPS, H/S-IPS M/PVA, pretty much ANYTHING BUT CHEAPO TN
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    ahh... yea time to get a proper monitor, still check to see if the new one you're eyeballing is a notoriously bad capper or not. It's a strangely common problem and if I didn't know better they where being engineered to crap out...

believe it or not, it's actually a problem with guitars as well as tv's. a lot of companies skimp out on parts to cut costs.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    recently bought an used hp L1710 for a few bucks and have an 2165 and a 1950 at work
    those all have very awesome panels
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I bought a Dell U2311H last year and I love it.

If you sit really close to a monitor like I do (bad eyesight) then the IPS makes a huge difference. I can't function at all on a TN panel the color and contrast shifting is just too much for me.

Before that I had been using a CRT so color and contrast were perfect. I was worried the Dell U2311H wouldn't be good because all my previous experience with non-crt monitors had been TN panels, but I've found it to be an awesome replacement.

The only thing about the U2311H is that it's really bright. I sit in a sunlit room and had to turn the brightness down to 15 out of 100.
  • BadgerBaiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is a shame this wasn't posted two weeks ago.. there was a lovely deal on the Dell 24" IPS monitor... I was gutted I couldn't afford it at the time!
    Now considering two 27" Iiyama monitors if I can find the extra cash.
    Still, go for Samsung or Iiyama panels if you have the choice :)
  • Artifice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've got an HP LP2465. It's sitting right next to my old 22" Sceptre (TN panel, my first LCD monitor). I can't rightfully explain the difference in working on the two. The IPS is brighter, more vivid, with a depth of color that just swamps the TN panel. The viewing angle might not seem like a big deal, but I can notice color shifts on the TN just tilting my head, where as you don't get that with the IPS. It's also more comfortable to work on, as things are crisper, cleared and more defined. If you're going to be sitting at the computer for long periods, do yourself a favor and step up from TN to an IPS or PVA panel. The bit of extra scratch will totally be worth it.
  • ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    I had an IPS for a while, it was way worth it. For me, the biggest and most obvious benefit is the lack of tonal shift depending where you sit. I can literally change my head position by few inches and the values jump dramatically across the screen. I just sit around sometimes wondering if my value choices are at all accurate. It drives me insane
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    the Dell 2311 seems like a very popular choice. if a lot of people are having such a good time with it i'll probably check it out for myself.

it's a shame the 24" model is like £150 more (for just 1" of screen size).
  • piippo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The 24" has better resolution and aspect aspect ratio for desktop work. It's not really worth the price gap though.
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    I got this one for Christmas last year. Very nice picture and doesn't take up a lot of room.

http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/samsung-px2370/4505-3174_7-34048108.html