Home General Discussion

Is it bad to ask for tips on an art test? There isn't an NDA

Let us say that, theoretically, I was doing an art test for a company.

Would it be a good idea to get some tips based on what I've done so far?

Based on responses, I may post what I need critique on.

Replies

• Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I don't see why not, your studio environment will be very colaborative. And there isn't an NDA as you mentioned. For future reference though, this is why its great to have a few games artists on skype or other IM, so you can get your opinion on stuff like art tests that aren't under an NDA, but still sensative (ish), like art tests or personal projects that you aren't ready to show to everyone yet.
  • RexM
    Cool, that's the feeling I had as well...

You're right about having more contacts, everyone I know in relation to game art are mostly just modders from when I was heavy into modding...

I'll wait for a couple more responses before I post the texture or not.
  • Skamberin
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    I thought the idea behind and art test was to have the artist show what they can do on their own, both in regards to pure art and problem solving when it's something you haven't done before.

While there may be no NDA, asking for help might be taken as you not being confident enough in your abilities to try on your own.

Just my 2 cents on it anyway, good luck!
  • Ghostscape
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    I wouldn't post the test on polycount.

I think you can bounce it off friends no problem, however. I would just avoid publishing the test, because they probably don't want it publicly available, or else they'd have the brief posted on their site.
  • salman_fas
    Their Environment Modeler test did require permission from the studio if one wanted to post. I would say it probably is not gonna be a good idea to post it. just my 2 cents.
  • RexM
    Thanks for the advice.

I guess I'll post the test once I have turned it in then just for later critique. :)

It is their texture test, by the way.
  • RexM
    I'm thinking that it's not a great idea to ask for anything but a critique after the fact. You post an art test that you can't bring yourself to complete, then that's probably a sign that you're missing something, and you would probably have trouble in the field.

Tests are tests, not circle jerks of information.

Good luck, though. I hope it turns out the best for you.

While I do understand that tests are tests, in the field I would be working in a collaborative environment where getting your work critiqued is encouraged.

I have no issue with finishing the test (or any test / scene for that matter), I just wanted a little critique on one texture out of the 8 finished textures I've made. Just having trouble getting paint to look like paint on a metal object, but I think I just figured out why anyways. :thumbup:

Thanks for the advice, I'll just wait until I turn in the test to show you guys.
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Don't publically post their test.
  • RexM
    I've decided not to. :thumbup:

I guess this can be closed... thank you all for your input.
  • Entity
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Don't show anything unless you have permission, pretty simple really.
  • RexM
    Not only is there no NDA or concept art, but they never said I couldn't show anything in any of the writing they sent me.

Regardless, I am not posting it anyways.... as I've said. :thumbup:
  • The Flying Monk
    Offline / Send Message
    The Flying Monk polycounter lvl 18
    RexM wrote: »
    Not only is there no NDA or concept art, but they never said I couldn't show anything in any of the writing they sent me.

Regardless, I am not posting it anyways.... as I've said. :thumbup:

It's always best to assume that you can't show anything until you get permission too with an art test. You don't want to piss off a company before they've even hired you.
  • Jon Rush
    I agree - as a test for employment, its kind of implied that you don't go seeking help on this, since it's testing your abilities to determine if you are suited for the position.
  • RexM
    Thanks to just more messing around, I've since resolved the issue I had as well. :)
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yeah, never assume that it's okay to post a test just because you dont find it mentioned anywhere. Even after you're done. Think about it - this alone is a good way to see if your attitude is profesional or not. At least that's how I see it.
  • crazyfingers
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    If you just send it in having no one cast their eyes on it but you you're really shooting yourself in the foot. I'd suggest asking a trusted friend to look it over and look for glaring problems. I've failed my share of art tests and weeks later i look back on the pieces and notice big issues i couldn't see before simply because I'd been working on it for weeks.

As others have said though, don't post in a public place.
  • vcortis
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    I've got a funny story about this subject... I got an art test that didn't have a NDA and being the stupid naive go-getter than I am posted it online for critique to make sure it was super-duper-awesomesauce before sending it in.

I ended up changing nothing (people said it was good) and sent it in.

I come to find out, someone at that company knew I posted it online and sent me a polite message to take it down (which I did in about 5 minutes of receiving the message). Needless to say I was extremely embrassed and apologized.

I thought I destroyed my chances at this awesome job for a studio I was dying to work at.

Turns out, the person who told me to take it down kept it a secret that I did this. I ended up getting the job and it was only months after I was working there that my boss learned of what I did. Lets just say I am VERY lucky that a certain individual didn't tell anyone about it and helped me out, and VERY lucky that I happened to get along with these people and they thought I was a good employee.

I lucked out big time. You... well just don't do it. Heed this warning and learn from my mistakes. Sure we all joke about it now, but if there is ANY question as to wether or not you should be doing this, just don't or ask them. Usually it's ok to post your own work as long as you specifically don't call out the company by name and say it's an art test (which you've already done so don't post your stuff!).

DO NOT post it in a public place.

Do send it to trusted friends to get critiqued.

P.S. Thanks Joe!
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    you can however ask the company if you can put art test stuff in your folio, after you got the job (or not). Some companies have no problem with this, so even if you don't get the job you get some benefit from the piece.
  • seforin
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    Dont even mention this online..I did something like this a LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG Time ago and that studio black listed me before I even had a chance to have my test looked over (Had the last laugh in the end as they closed there doors last year! *vengeful shaking of fist*)

Change your main post to I like puppys or something...never know whos looking online..

just my 2 cents..

ps: helpful advice in the future, instead of posting publicly, look and see who works at the studio and PM them your questions..
  • Entity
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    I think we have a few polycounters here from naughtdog :)
  • RexM
    Thanks guys, much appreciated for your advice. :)

Getting everything ready to turn the test in, I am very, very happy with the results... as I learned a lot and everything turned out great.
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13