Home Technical Talk

Looking for a Budget 3D Package

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
M-Cubed polycounter lvl 6
Hello everyone, I'm brand new to polycount here, but have heard many good things and have decided to register today.

First a bit about myself. I'm a young 3d artist just starting out. I do have about a year and a half of industry experience, and right now am in between contracts. I'm wanting to use this time to work on portfolio pieces, personal projects, and maybe some freelance work on the side. The problem is, I no longer have access to a major 3D package like I did while I was in school or working for a studio.

So I'm looking to purchase one, however seeing as I am unemployed at the moment, I don't have a lot of money. I've been looking around the forums here and the tools wiki page, downloading some trials of various software, but I was wondering what you guys would recommend for a budget of $1000? I'm lucky enough to already own Zbrush and the Adobe Creative suite, but I'm lacking a basic 3D modeling, animation and rendering package.

The only one I can see that offers everything for about 1000 bucks is Lightwave. Other ones I have checked out are Silo, and Modo for mostly modeling, but I would like animation as well, and character animation if I can get it. I've also seriously considered Blender, however a lot of the guys I talked to at the previous studio I worked at sort of turned their noses at it. It seems being open source anything makes you a bit of a black sheep in the professional market.

So what do you guys think? What's a good budget tool that I can use for my personal work, some freelance, and will be recognized by future employers to show I have the technical skills?

Replies

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Cinema4D maybe?

Also, this might help on your search: http://wiki.polycount.com/CategoryTools
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    yeah c4d isnt bad, sure its missing some features and you might have to make some workarounds to get file formats the way you need them in game but I havent had much trouble using it to make games and do animation.
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ralusek polycounter lvl 10
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    well if its for personal work / portfolio work then you can get all the autodesk apps for free. http://students.autodesk.com/.
    This way you can keep working with the industry standards and remain legal.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    M-Cubed, owns zbrush, year and a half experience... Matt?

Blender works, as mentioned. You could try getting in on the Autodesk student deal if you qualify (check your id card, the date may be generous). If not, check out their assistance program for the recently unemployed http://students.autodesk.com/?nd=assistance_home

You could also use Autodesk's ModTool, which is heavily similar to Softimage/XSI 7. It's non commercial, but shouldn't matter for personal/portfolio stuff (the student/assistant programs would be non-commercial too). Only downside is a viewport/render watermark, but if you use UDK/Unity/Marmoset/whatever to show your work off then it wont make a difference.
  • M-Cubed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz & Ged: I took a look at Cinema 4D, and the four different versions you could get sort of confused me. Looked like I was buying windows or something. I'll take a closer look at the features of the lower priced ones though.

ralusek: I was actually pretty excited to use blender, especially seeing all the things the new 2.5 can do. I even bought the newest open movie they completed and was quite impressed. The only thing that stops me from using it is the amount of time needed to learn it since it is so different and the fact that a lot of industry professionals seems to dislike it for whatever reason.

r_fletch_r & cryrid: I'm certainly out for the student side of things there, as my student id wasn't valid for almost half a year now, and I actually never had a working student e-mail address. I never heard of the assistance program though, so I'll certainly take a look at that.

Also cryrid, yes it is Matt. I also recognize that poor sheep as your avatar. But I can't place who you are :P
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's too bad you want character animation because aside from that Modo pretty much rocks. If you do end up buying Modo wait a month or so until they offer a free upgrade to the next version 501.

Be careful with Cinema4D you might have to buy some additional modules along with the core package depending on what you want to do with it, which will increase the cost significantly.

Lightwave is a similar story with plugins. Quite a few freelancers over on the Luxology forums seem to use a combo of Lightwave/Messiah(animation) + Modo(modeling/rendering), but that's already way over budget.

Blender is free though the new version 2.5 isn't quite ready for serious modeling in my opinion yet, maybe in the next 6 months...

All four of those apps are not considered "industry standard" for games so the only thing that will impress potential employers will be your portfolio.

As for freelance my experience (game industry) has been that Max is the standard with Maya being a distant second. You might have trouble landing freelance games jobs without Max or Maya, though it really depends on who your clients are. For example I would image a lot of indie developers rely on Blender as their 3D app of choice due to it being free. In the end it doesn't matter what app you use as a freelancer as long as you can deliver the files in the format that the client wants.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I was in CapDev, I don't think I'd be anyone you would have met (aside from some Blackboard stuff).
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    You can get the student version of Maya or 3ds relatively cheap
    400$ for maya, dunno how much 3ds costs.

[edit] woops didn't notice you wanted to do freelance with it which would be against the license conditions iirc.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I forgot to mention Modo(modeling, rendering) + Blender(animation) is a possibility as well.

Another thread about adding another app to Modo to get animation, not from a game art perspective.

and

Modo plus Messiah for Game Development
  • Dim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dim polycounter lvl 10
    I would second Ben's recommendation. With Blender being free, why not get another more specialized package and combine them? Blender can competently, if not elegantly, fill in the gaps for almost everything, so it would be a really good backup for you. As for learning it quickly, some of the money you have could be spent on pretty high quality training. Here's some of the best sites I've found:

http://mavenseed.com/
    http://www.blendercookie.com/
    http://www.blendersupportdesk.com/
    http://www.blenderguru.com/
    http://www.cgmasters.net/
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you really want to go on the cheap, Silo and/or Wings3D + Blender might be a awesome combo. I'm not sure how that will fare with freelance activities though.

EDIT:

Oh! I just saw this: Win yourself a copy of Modo!
  • jipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jipe polycounter lvl 17
    Not to hijack the thread, but I would avoid the contest Ben posted above. Hinge Digital wants you to submit your character designs and story ideas for the contest, but the rules state that they can (and probably will) do whatever they want with the submissions. I'd rather drop the cash on Modo than give away my intellectual property.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    Ben Apuna wrote: »
    If you really want to go on the cheap, Silo and/or Wings3D + Blender might be a awesome combo. I'm not sure how that will fare with freelance activities though.

EDIT:

Oh! I just saw this: Win yourself a copy of Modo!
    Its the results that always matter. If its render output usually the frames, if its game assets usually the correct file format / textures but all that can be output with blender.
    Also check out milkshape if you need to convert to specific formats, as its free for that stuff.

You are asking for the best cheap option for a all rounder, blender is the answer. Like you said Modo and silo or other apps are great or superior in certain areas but they can't animate or do all the other stuff (baking, rigging, scripting, extending, animating, skinning, physics, particles,...). Blender can do that and in that regards can be compared to XSI, Maya or 3dsMax.
  • M-Cubed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You know I never thought of using more than one program, like one for modeling and one for animation. Animation would be nice, but it's not my main focus. That's more of a personal thing for some short films or the like, seeing as I'm not totally focused on the game industry here. So by the look of things I'm starting to think a mix of modo for modeling and rendering, and blender to make up for animation and any other holes.

Thanks for the all the input guys, I appreciate it a lot.
  • Lamoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamoot polycounter lvl 7
    If you need any Blender tutorials, this is a good place to start: http://www.blendercookie.com/
  • fattkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fattkid polycounter lvl 15
    Hopefully I don't sound like too much of a fan boy here, but I just made the switch to modeling in modo, after years of Max and Maya, and I really like it. It's now my modeling tool of choice.

And I own it, and it has a floating license. So if I do contract work or go to work somewhere else etc, I can show up and start cranking work out on day 1, instead of getting up to speed/set up with new software, loading up plugs and scripts, making changes and adjustments to my work flow based on whatever version of whatever software I've been provided etc. I'm really starting to appreciate the idea of being self sufficient.

It does appear to have some limitations though, in regards to making game art. (Perhaps there are work arounds. I don't know the app well enough yet.) Particularly in regards to controlling and adjusting ones normals etc. Supposedly that has been addressed in the next version, but I'm inclined to take care of those things in whatever the app is my employer is using anyway, just for consistences sake.

On a less relevant note, I also think the design, the direction it's going, and company attitude and mentality behind it is really solid. I think knowing this tool and adding it to my arsenal is going to assist me in taking my game and marketability to the next level.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    I'll throw out another suggestion. Daz3d and the Carrara 8 suites arent bad. Carraras good for renders, I wouldnt use it for modelling though. Daz3d seems to be useful simple fast for animation.

They do have a certain amateur reputation, which is not entiretly undeserved as most results from them look as if they were done ten years ago. But thats because alot of amateurs use them whom dont know what they are doing.
  • lloyd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The drain is that way >
    Go insert monies

You're not a company.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey M-Cubed (or anyone else for that matter)

If you're still looking for a cheap animation package, check out this insane deal! for Messiah ($40 for the Pro version normally $1195, $10 for the Basic version).

EDIT:

Hmm... after a bit of research it seems that Messiah has a dongle based DRM system (yuck!) which seems to prevent some people from ever being able to use it.

I think I'll just use Blender if I need any smooth skinned animation tools in the near future.

EDIT2:

I couldn't resist $10 for the Basic version of Messiah. Now at least I have options if I need any animation tools.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    If you're not going for, or have the money for max or maya, go for blender.

There's really no other choice with the same selection of tools at that price level.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    IMO Blender hands down.

The 2.4x and 2.5x releases of it are really good, and it has overcome most of the shortcomings of the past.

It does everything.

Modeling
    Compositing
    Rendering
    Baking
    Animation
    Particles
    Sculpting (not the best, but it's improving by leaps and bounds)
    Python scripting
    etc...

Modeling especially is very good. It has a very easy and casual feeling about it. Mostly just the G(translate),S(scale),R(otate),E(extrude) keys and the mouse.

The problems with the other cheap programs is that they either focus on one thing, or they are just limited versions of much more expensive programs to upsell you in the future.

With Blender you get a nice program where all the features are good to excellent. The renderer is not the best in the world, but it's more than good enough for most needs, and it will be incrementally improved in the future, like all features.

Something like Carrara has a nice prefab library and a nice renderer, but the actual modeling is shit and useless. I own a version of Carrara and wouldn't model in it if you put a gun to my head. It did have a very nice tree generator though!
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I heard IllusionMage is where it's at. A bargain for only $40 ;)
    http://illusionmage.com/index2.htm
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Crydid: I just have to say, illusionmage is apperantly a scam, it's someone reselling blender for money.

"The companies IllusionMage and 3Dmagix resell via their websites Blender under their own name. Both websites are probably managed by the same person or company."

Take a look here for more info:
    http://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10589

I'm shocked that he/she can get away with it.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    The italics and emoticon were for sarcasm.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Cryrid:Sorry, i just tought of it the moment i saw the link, so i didnt take the joke at first, since i dont want anyone to waste their money :P
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    persnally i would go with blender 2.5x + silo to fill out the week spots of each app which will olny put you down about $160 for the professorial version of silo and blender is free and if your still willing to spend more i think the extra money is better spent in a more specialized product like zbrush if you know you will be doing characters of organic stuff.

blender gets all the basic 3d package stuff out of the way and has a excellent bone animation system but currently has a few week spots with poly modeling which can be fleshed out with silo.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dont forget VoidWorld for modelling. its comming on a treat
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    http://graphicall.org/builds/builds/showbuild.php?action=show&id=1698

This is a link to Blender 2.5+ bundled with the Norma rig. A pretty solid rig for practicing animation.

Norman info:http://ivogrigull.com/blog/?page_id=127
  • schadenfreude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm somewhat surprised no one mentioned 3D Coat for modeling as that seems to get a lot more active support going on than Silo . . ..

Of course, I haven't used it so I can't really vouch for it but from the reviews it might be worth a gander?
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    because its a sculpting and painting app. Definately worth a look tho