Home Technical Talk

Bamboo tablet and concept art?

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
Hey,
I hope this is the right section for this, but I have been drawing a lot lately, and I am a good prop concept artist. Its about time to get a tablet. I am a college student so I obviously don't have a lot of money but I have one on my eye for a beginner digital artist and its the Wacom Bamboo Pen Tablet for $69.
I want to be able to make quality concepts like this :

http://www.splashdamage.com/images/content/arttest_concept01.jpg

or

this:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_jGui1JNBXCY/TLm_weEKUCI/AAAAAAAACSs/EvmBSqGBG_0/s1600/sing_prop13.jpg

I know it depends on how good I am to draw like that, but I meant can the bamboo pen tablet allow quality like this? so if my skills are similiar, I can produce similiar concepts?

Replies

• SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    The Bamboo is actually quite good. I have an old Bambo Fun Medium and and Intuos 3 A3(which i bought, because the bamboo was to small for me, but that depends on the user)

You can use it however to produce good art if you are skilled with it.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh cool, im primarily a 3D artist so can I sculpt with it too?
  • Kraftwerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraftwerk polycounter lvl 19
    I got an Bamboo Fun A5 which is just about right for me. If you can cash out the money get an Intous but seriously if you want to go a bit easy on your pocket a Bamboo should be more then enough. As long its Wacom youre totally fine.

- And yes my Bamboo works awesome in Mudbox for sculpting.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    I now work with a bamboo touch (touch disabled) and i had a bamboo tablet before , i really enjoy working with them.

In the end it doesn't matter what tablet you use. Like you said it's skillset that limits people in making good art. Ofcourse a tablet can make the process easier but if it's a wacom tablet i think you are safe when it comes to penpressure and such.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    I think it should be at least a Wacom tablet, their pens are just the best. No batteries or something.Just a light pen which has a good grip.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    I use a bamboo tablet at home all the time. They're pretty good and are fine for 3D stuff and some drawing or texturing.

But if you really want to do a lot of concepts you'll probably want to get something bigger.
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    sprunghunt wrote: »
    But if you really want to do a lot of concepts you'll probably want to get something bigger.

Down to personal preference, and depends on whether you draw using your wrist or elbow, buying a large one can be quite a waste if you only use a small portion of it.

Bigger doesn't always equal better.
  • SSquir33
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SSquir33 polycounter lvl 12
    i had a bamboo to get me used to the pen without busting the bank, 4months later after a bunch of digital paintings and hotkeys i got the intuos. Learning on the bamboo is damn fun , and if you're pro on bamboo, you will kick ass on the intuos.
  • mortalhuman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I bought a Genius Mousepen - and before anyone goes THATS NOT WACOM - it's good. It uses a triple A battery in the pen :/ but other than that, once you setup the driver config, it's really nice. I got it to practice, I wrote here about how I practice:

http://supermortalhuman.com/how-to-use-graphics-tablet

I found in reviews that this tablet is clunky and shaky etc, but those reviewers must have been biased, or never even took the time to setup their tablet - it works really well, and while I know I will want a wacom, I was glad to get a huge drawing area for only 50 bucks. When it comes time for a wacom, it'll be a couple hundred dollars to get something good anyhow.

I figure I will wait until I can get a cintiq :P
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    most people where I work have bamboos and make kickass art with it. bamboo seems to be quite ok
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, my main skillsa re in 3d but I want to draw my own concepts, and hopefully for other teams at some point. I am trying to find the best deals for one since im trying to get the cheapest because im a poor fellow ha, if anyone finds a great deal on one feel free to please post or pm :)
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    If you're looking to save money go with a refurbished Wacom
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003LVKQ18/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000RSNVTW&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=01K29130RNNPW6AJQTFG]here's a bamboo for $69[/ame]

I've owned a refurbished Intuos in the past and it was as good as new. As far as competitors in the tablet space, longevity is where they usually lose out to Wacom - the tablet shell starts to separate and you get stress breaks in the usb cable. I've never had a wacom crap out on me, I typically sell them when I'm looking for an upgrade.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man! And everyone.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    Hey guys, what are your thoughts on a Bamboo Fun medium (219 cdn) vs a Intuos 4 small (249 cdn). They are both in the same price range, so I've been looking all over the net to see what people are saying.

Most are saying the smaller Intuos is way better, but has problems nibs and screen wear and tear? They also mention that the Intuos has better 'advanced' features, but I never see any mention of what these features are other than 2048 vs 1024 levels of sensitivity. This is the only thread I found saying the bamboos are any good.

Seems like I could hold the larger bamboo in my lap and treat it like a drawing pad, and the intuos would sit on my desk? Also, the bamboo's touch seems like a nice extra feature to have.

I also had no clue that these things needed replaceable nibs. Can you just walk into bestbuy or a similar store and get these off the rack, or do you have to order away for them from Wacom? I've done searches on the websites of different art stores, and electronics stores, and nobody lists them.

Replacement pens also cost about 100$ here? Do you actually need replacement pens? I notice there are different styles of pens, but are they actually breaking down? The bamboo pens only cost ~40$ though.

Also, what happens with my mouse? Would I end up swapping the tablet out to use my mouse for blender, or other things, or does the tablet do a good job of completely replacing the mouse?

I'm thinking of going out and buying one of these, possibly today. I'd just like to get a these things clarified first. I don't want to spend 250$ on one of these and then need a constant stream of new pens or be ordering away for new nibs all the time.
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    go for the larger work area size (I don't know how small is intuos 4 small)

> They also mention that the Intuos has better 'advanced' features, but I never see any mention of what these features are other than 2048 vs 1024 levels of sensitivity. This is the only thread I found saying the bamboos are any good.

intuos 4 has pen tilt and rotation (with an optional art pen), plus fancy OLED-keys, plus precision mode (for painting smaller details), plus radial menu that is quite nice

pens get fucked up sometimes (if you drop them quite hardly, for example);
    I also have extra-pens for my intuos 3 because
    a) I don't like the default pen and there're slimmer options
    b) corel painter remembers different pens and their settings during a painting session, so you switch between them without losing brush type/colour/whatever;

nib wear is quite noticeable on intuos 4, but you get about 10 nibs with your pen and that should be fine for at least a year.
    tablet surface will wear down eventually towards a very slick-smooth one, and it will pretty much stop nib wearing.

> Also, what happens with my mouse? Would I end up swapping the tablet out to use my mouse for blender, or other things, or does the tablet do a good job of completely replacing the mouse?

I'm left-handed, so use both pen and mouse. I hold the pen all the time and switch to the mouse occasionally.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    10 nibs a year!?
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    10 nibs a year!?

don't ask me, ask them - http://forum.wacom.eu/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1438&start=0
    74 pages of drama over $ 15 worth packs of nibs, hyuck hyuck hyuck hyuck hyuck hyuck hyuck

I remember someone at conceptart.org saying he or she went through 6 or so pen nibs during the first year, and after that it stopped due to surface wearing off.
  • Dn2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dn2 polycounter lvl 11
    10 nibs a year!?
    is it more or less for you? assuming you have an intuos
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well I had an Intuos 2 and I went through 2 nibs in 4 years. Now I have a Cintiq and I'm still on nib number 1 after a few years. I also had a wacom in '98, don't recall the name but it was tiny and hooked up through the serial port - i went through 2 nibs on that and the surface got really scratched up.
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well I had an Intuos 2 and I went through 2 nibs in 4 years. Now I have a Cintiq and I'm still on nib number 1 after a few years. I also had a wacom in '98, don't recall the name but it was tiny and hooked up through the serial port - i went through 2 nibs on that and the surface got really scratched up.

they used sandpaper or something for intuos4 cover sheet, so nibs do wear faster, but they include more nibs too (it was 5 of them for intuos 3, afaik)
  • Dn2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dn2 polycounter lvl 11
    i was planning on getting an in intuos4 medium :/
    now...im not so sure
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    I got an intuos 6x8 inch. Its perfect for texturing. Bamboo isnt good enough tho.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I use an Intuos 4 Medium. No problems with it so far. The programmable buttons on the side are great.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I bought the bamboo. It's nice and big. I love it. :) But it will take some getting used to. I'm not used to the surface mapping 1:1 to my screen, and I try to pick up the pen and move it like my mouse. :)
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dn2 wrote: »
    i was planning on getting an in intuos4 medium :/
    now...im not so sure

if you're planning to do more painting (either textures or concept art), you will end up with intuos at some point (unless you totally skip it and go classy with cintiq)
    it's well worth purchasing, even despite its flaws.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you guys tend to hold these things in your hand, or put them besides your keyboard, or something else?
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I let the wacom take the traditional space of the mouse+mousepad to the right of my monitor. It's also rotated slightly towards me. I use a stylus 99% of the time so the mouse no longer needs the space. Holding the tablet would be difficult as it's a 9x12.
  • Dn2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dn2 polycounter lvl 11
    ikken wrote: »
    if you're planning to do more painting (either textures or concept art), you will end up with intuos at some point (unless you totally skip it and go classy with cintiq)
    it's well worth purchasing, even despite its flaws.
    i dont think i'll be getting a cintiq any time soon...not with that price tag lol

bleh...intuos4, pack of extra nibs...that should be good enough
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ben Apuna wrote: »
    I let the wacom take the traditional space of the mouse+mousepad to the right of my monitor. It's also rotated slightly towards me. I use a stylus 99% of the time so the mouse no longer needs the space. Holding the tablet would be difficult as it's a 9x12.
    My tablet is almost as wide as my keyboard though. So far I've held it like a pad, but it gets hard to use the keyboard at the same time.

wacom.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark wrote: »
    Do you guys tend to hold these things in your hand, or put them besides your keyboard, or something else?

like this -
    hu36R.gif
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    The bamboo fun is awesome, it's what i use. Specs are very similar to the Intuos 2, and price is great.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    I have a bamboo and a Intuos 3.

I was using an Intuos 4 in my last job and wasnt very impressed with it, there seems to be some issue with the current driver randomly stopping working. I would have put it down to the computer but it was an issue across the entire office. (Winodws 7 64)
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    I had the current gen Bamboo Pen, but sold it when I got my Intuos3 A5 WIDE. The current gen bamboo is excellent and is a great introduction to tablets. I highly recommend it.

I also place mine like Ikken.
  • Mike_Carlyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike_Carlyle polycounter lvl 17
    ya havent had any nib problems with my cintiq yet... have an intuos3 as well and havent had to change any nibs there... they gave us the small new bamboo's at school when we started.. i gave mine away but i see that some people that use them, the surface gets scratched up quickly to use.. the surface material is different .. and i think thats a similar surface to the intuos4 ... cintiq = yummy
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    got a bamboo pen and it defiantly gets the job done and i find it to more than suitable for pretty much any type of work with it.

i find it is more limited by it's drivers than the actual hardware thing like not supporting different applications profiles like the intuos does but that can be worked around via simple scripting.

i made 2 versions of my configuration files for my bamboo one for photoshop and one for zbrsuh and made a simple batch script that swaps the files and restarts the bamboos input service.

though the surface seems to be taken some wear and tear after just 1 month of using it.

just by looking at it, it is pretty easy to tell where my photoshop canvas usual is on it.

and like ikken i put it right in front of my keyboard with a few inches between it and the edge of my desk.