Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ship Deck Props

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys! This is my thread for ship deck props I'm making for a game. I'm actually having trouble brainstorming what kind of equipment you would find on a ship deck, so any ideas would be great! I know there are barrels, boxes, crates, buckets, mops, and ropes, but besides that, is there anything else? The ship already has a built-in cannon, so that's done already, and no anchors because this is an airship ;)

Anyhow, these are the first few props I've got here - high poly barrels!! They were started by another person on our team, but he dropped, so I'm taking over and kindof improvising the concepts as I go. Critiques welcome :)

hpolybarrels.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Replies

• Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Were those all the same model? I would never suggest doing that - if only for the practice you miss when simply duplicating it. If I'm wrong, forgive me; but they do seem the same. So, perhaps, redo 3 of them, because if they aren't the same model, at the very least they SEEM like they are - they aren't particularly hard to make either, so there is no excuse. Also, I can't even tell what the latter 2 would be used for. The pipe is pretty plainly recycled too.
    I guess, maybe post wires? And consider what I've mentioned, because for such simple models, the ol' "dupe and edit" is just not understandable to me.

Also, what type of ship? An old wooden one, or a new sort? Perhaps a telescope, or a sextant? Also, harpoons? It all depends on what time-period it is meant to be from. Is it Steampunk, perhaps? I ask because of the pointlessly piped barrels, haha.

Sorry if I seemed overly harsh - there is nothing WRONG with the models, just a personal thing, I suppose. Perhaps, because they are high-poly, you should put some more detail into them, too, to distinguish them as seperate, such as dings in the metal, or something.
    Regardless, best of luck!
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    They are pretty good, i'd say the the 3rd one ha a tiny issue. The two pipes on the side are intersecting each other.
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
    nice stuff , and about barrel .. he has a wierd shape :

barrel.gif

and just try to put more details that can help :)
  • gateian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm. Why not put an anchor on an air ship? To me that would be cool and an interesting feature. Airships have to be anchored too.

Other than that, I'd just hit google and do image searches of ship decks. You'll get loads of ideas.

Any local ship museums near you? Always good to see things in the flesh.

I agree with Joopson that there are alot of borrowed bits from each one. The cap for instance is the same on each. Even just modifying a couple would be worth it. Add a couple of rims to them, or indentations.

Keep us updated. :)
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    Nothing wrong with Kit Bashing, is there?

I think the models look good, but not sure how 3 and 4 (left to right) they would function.
  • duxun
  • EMC3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 14
    Joopson wrote: »
    Were those all the same model? I would never suggest doing that - if only for the practice you miss when simply duplicating it. If I'm wrong, forgive me; but they do seem the same. So, perhaps, redo 3 of them, because if they aren't the same model, at the very least they SEEM like they are - they aren't particularly hard to make either, so there is no excuse. Also, I can't even tell what the latter 2 would be used for. The pipe is pretty plainly recycled too.
    I guess, maybe post wires? And consider what I've mentioned, because for such simple models, the ol' "dupe and edit" is just not understandable to me.

Also, what type of ship? An old wooden one, or a new sort? Perhaps a telescope, or a sextant? Also, harpoons? It all depends on what time-period it is meant to be from. Is it Steampunk, perhaps? I ask because of the pointlessly piped barrels, haha.

Sorry if I seemed overly harsh - there is nothing WRONG with the models, just a personal thing, I suppose. Perhaps, because they are high-poly, you should put some more detail into them, too, to distinguish them as seperate, such as dings in the metal, or something.
    Regardless, best of luck!

I'm sorry but no, I do not agree at all, if you're gonna say something like that atleast give a logical reason other then " Just a personal thing " otherwise you're not helping at all.

Kit-bashing (Using the same base model, same texture, saving a library of textures or generic models) Is an effective time saving resource, and speeds your workflow up by tonnes. I've got a kitbash of barrels, rubble, wooden planks, tiling textures I made from ZBrush, tiling textures I made from photographs.

The time it takes me to model and UV a barrel compared to opening an old file of a barrel with UV's already done adds up over time, link this into general prop dressing and textures and you've got a fast workflow.

Everything is based on milestones and deadlines, a 'simple prop' can be used in a modular fashion across a level in different lighting / texture and compositions and the player wouldn't be the wiser.

The props look alright, personally wouldn't highpoly them, seeing as you can kitbash the nuts and bolts with a simple model to diffuse / normal map. But that's just my opinion on it, always thinking about the faster more optimal route :).

Looking forward to more.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Joopson, I understand your concerns, but we really are working on tight deadlines here and have tons to do!! So I'm working with the same mindset as Mr Bear here - I just have to get my props out as fast and efficient as possible, and the best way I know to do that is reusing parts of my model. I am going to create detail normal maps later though, to get some of the grain and planking in :) And I'll post wires when I get the low poly done. As for the prop ideas, I didn't think of a sextant or telescope. And harpoons are cool! - we might have sky sharks, so that would be a good thing to have XD Ship is steampunk btw, and our style is cel-shaded. You can check out the trailer on our website :) (it's my signature)
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, since our game is steampunk, those pipes are more for aesthetics than function. They just look cool xD Some arbitrary pipes and gadgets from my research here:

steampunkclockbyriverot.jpg

571f.jpg

• Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Ok, I was just trying to say they all are too noticeably from the same model.
    I wasn't dismissing all forms of kit-bashing. And I suppose, yes, most wouldn't notice the similarities, especially given different lighting, and without having them right next to each other. So carry on, I suppose.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Definitely add an anchor imo.

Steampunk isn't always about function, like that guitar. Some of it is just over the top useless detailing. I think an anchor fits that perfectly. A steamship captain would just have that as representative of ages past or whatever blah blah.

The guitar shows what's wrong with the pipes on the barrels to. The pipes connect separate 'chambers'. Maybe something needs to flow from hear to there, for your game maybe it's elevation compression. But right now they just look like it would flow from the main chamber, back into the main chamber. Even a valve on it would give it more of a sense of function.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks Baddcog! What you're saying about the pipes definitely makes sense, so I'll be sure to add some chambers or valves. I will also make the anchor xD
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    If you want good reference for the chunks and gadgets of steam-era naval vessels, find a copy of The Sand Pebbles with Steve McQueen. There are some great shots of the steam engine inside the gunboat.

The other thing you can do is look at the innards of the sub in Das Boot or old WWII-era sub movies. Take chunks of that stuff, and put it on the outside. Add brass, cogs, and steam gauges as desired. Boom, instant steampunk. ;)
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome GarageBay9! Thanks for the reference.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's Barrel #1! Critiques are welcome, so I can make the next barrel better.

simplebarrelmaterials.jpg

simplebarrelshot.jpg

Thank you!
    Jessica Dinh
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Your images are very compressed, especially the texture flats look like crap. Maybe a different host can fix that.

As for things on deck, you'll need a lot of stuff to tie the ropes to, but other than that there's generally not a lot of things there. Maybe some sacks and chests.

I think you can make your models more efficient by tackling them modularly. That one barrel is nice, but there are a lot of things you can use similar textures on. gather all those things and figure out what textures you need.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Snader - I re-uploaded, and the compression is gone now. And I will certainly look for cases where I can reuse my textures :D