Home General Discussion

Art tests

How can I get an art test from a company without actually wanting to be evaluated by the company? Do I have to contact the company, or are there sites? If there are sites, can somebody please provide links?

Thanks.

Replies

• ceebee
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    Unfortunately we don't have a list of them here, but over on GA there's a list of ones made public:

http://www.gameartisans.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5970
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Most studios are not going to want to give out there art tests to random people as it gives people a chance to practice on the test, or cheat on it. Or so I would think, so they most likely will only give it too people who are looking to obtain a job at that studio. No need to burden the studio with extra work.

You get your job most of the time based off your art test, not your portfolio. Sure your portfolio helps you get that art test but folios are not an accurate representation of how well you can work based off what the studio needs, and really thats all they care about. So another reason they dont want people to have an unfair advantage.

Just curious why would you want to do an art test for a studio but not be evaluated? Wouldnt it be better to make a sweet portfolio piece to help you get an actual job then waste time on an art test that you wont be using to get a job?
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Go make some art.
    Come back and post it here.
    Survive the onslaught.

There's your test...
  • dregoloth
    ceebee wrote: »
    Unfortunately we don't have a list of them here, but over on GA there's a list of ones made public:

http://www.gameartisans.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5970

Thanks for the link.
    Autocon wrote: »
    Just curious why would you want to do an art test for a studio but not be evaluated? Wouldnt it be better to make a sweet portfolio piece to help you get an actual job then waste time on an art test that you wont be using to get a job?

I'm a major perfectionist, so I thought that I would look at the average art test and then create projects for myself using similar parameters so that I'll shift my focus away from something being 100% perfect, and instead just try to get it done by the deadline whilst getting as much right as possible.

Go make some art.
    Come back and post it here.
    Survive the onslaught.

There's your test...

I probably will after a bit, but not until I'm sufficiently confident in my abilities.
  • Cojax
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    dregoloth wrote: »
    Thanks for the link.
    I probably will after a bit, but not until I'm sufficiently confident in my abilities.

Just suck it up and do it. It's not going to matter if your doing a test that wasn't given to you or something completely new from you. You have to be confident in your abilities all the time, so start now. Good luck!