Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gothic Character Model WIP

This is my character Spade, he's a gothic shapeshiftery fellow.

I've blocked him in. ( I already know about the shoulder crashing through the collar piece, it's already been fixed. )

Looking for comments and crits. Possibly some ideas how to go about the poofy pants to match the concept art without having some crazy crashing.
Thanks in advance!

spade_plans.jpg

Replies

• neofox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nothing?
    C'mon guys, throw a newbie a bone. :)
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will you be sculpting this?
  • strayvert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, depending on what you are going to do with this would help us help you.
    If you are going to be keeping it lowpoly then what is the tri count you are shooting for? If it isn't extremely low I would suggest getting a more even poly distribution. Right now the hands are by far the most dense part despite being relatively little. The pants are so big on his body that they should be allowed to have more polys since they are important.

It looks like the pants right now look like this from a top view:
    ___
    \___\
    _\___\
    _/___/
    /___/
    When you probably want:
    __
    /__\
    \__/
    /__\
    \__/

Also maybe don't have all that space between his legs under his crotch. In the ortho shot and the concept you can't see that so maybe connect his legs further down, which would save some polys and keep a more faithful form to the concept. I think that would be the "crazy crashing" you were wanting to avoid.

On the other hand if you are going to sculpt this then it is probably a pretty fine base mesh since you will retopo it later anyways.

I wanna see more, good luck!
  • ivanushka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Basically, what strayvert said. I know you're currently in the "block-out" phase. I would, at the very least, add an extra row of polys to the puffy upper thigh area. Pay special attention to the shape there and the feet as that's pretty important to the silhouette of this character based on your concept.
  • neofox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    strayvert wrote: »
    Yeah, depending on what you are going to do with this would help us help you.
    If you are going to be keeping it lowpoly then what is the tri count you are shooting for? If it isn't extremely low I would suggest getting a more even poly distribution. Right now the hands are by far the most dense part despite being relatively little. The pants are so big on his body that they should be allowed to have more polys since they are important.

It looks like the pants right now look like this from a top view:
    ___
    \___\
    _\___\
    _/___/
    /___/
    When you probably want:
    __
    /__\
    \__/
    /__\
    \__/

Also maybe don't have all that space between his legs under his crotch. In the ortho shot and the concept you can't see that so maybe connect his legs further down, which would save some polys and keep a more faithful form to the concept. I think that would be the "crazy crashing" you were wanting to avoid.

On the other hand if you are going to sculpt this then it is probably a pretty fine base mesh since you will retopo it later anyways.

I wanna see more, good luck!

Thanks. I appreciate the food for thought c:
    Maybe I won't have the space inbetween. I just hope that wouldn't create some odd warping if he's posed.

I wish I knew zbrush, that would help. I'm guessing that's what people mean when they mention 'sculpting'. I suppose I would just be modeling him in Maya and that's all for now, until I learn zbrush.
    Sorry, I should have posted what I'm using this for. His model may be used for animating. Otherwise he's just going to be a posed character model.
  • neofox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanushka wrote: »
    Basically, what strayvert said. I know you're currently in the "block-out" phase. I would, at the very least, add an extra row of polys to the puffy upper thigh area. Pay special attention to the shape there and the feet as that's pretty important to the silhouette of this character based on your concept.

Thanks. I will pay attention to the silhouette. He's just a very basic WIP so far. c:
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    I had no idea it was a male until I read it. Since it's not only a fruity looking costume, the fact that you made him younger is going to make it difficult to portray him as a male.
  • LateWhiteRabbit
    neofox wrote: »
    Thanks. I will pay attention to the silhouette. He's just a very basic WIP so far. c:

Paying attention to silhouette is the KEY to good modeling. If the silhouette of a character or object is right from every angle you can turn it in, 90% of your work is over. Learning to think in 3 dimensions and really "see" the volume of objects is vital to being a good artist.

Right now the pants need more 'poof' on your model and the feet in the concept are wider and flatter that what you have right now.

Also, if you are a student you can get Mudbox for free now. It doesn't do everything that Zbrush does, but the features it lacks aren't ones you would need or use as a beginner anyway.