Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[PORTFOLIO] PAUL HOEFENER

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Paulewog polycounter lvl 8
Hey everyone. I am in dire need of your help again. I recently graduated and I am trying to make the concept artist thing work for me. I have scored some nice contract work but I want the full-time gigs. I just applied for a concept artist position and I need your help to make my portfolio the best it can be.

http://www.paulhoefener.com

all thoughts positive and negative are strongly encouraged! If something doesn't seem right, I would love some constructive crits and I am willing to hear all advice in order to make a better product in the end.

I know you guys won't let me down. Thanks :poly121:

-Paulewog

EDIT: Don't forget to let me know what you think of the artwork on the site, which are your fav and which are your least favs! Thanks again guys!

Replies

• Cooljay
    It would be nice if you had the popout screen like you had for the 3d modeling section for concept art as well.

EDIT: Nevermind something must be buggy with your homepage, when I switch from 3D modeling and back to concept art it works fine
  • Paulewog
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, that happened to me also. That is troubling because sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, regardless if I have uploaded anything.

Edit: i think I fixed it. the index.html java wasnt working properly due to a missing bracket (go figure) Thanks!
  • Wombatinahat
    The website is not displaying properly for me using internet explorer. the section with the images is overlaying on top of the header and link section making it impossible to change pages or see any contact details which I assume are in the header somewhere.

siteerror.jpg
  • StefanH
    Offline / Send Message
    StefanH polycounter lvl 12
    I dig it. In all honesty i think the font feels a bit cheap i would go with someting a bit more classic/simple.
    Your logo feels a bit weak for the lack of better words i would try to design it to make it pop a bit more if that is something you want to be remembered by.

Cheers,

EDIT: i mean the header font
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    i like the design of the webpage but it does have the previously mentioned issue with IE and on both FF and Opera i noticed that there is a edge in the dropshadow where the header meets the body and a other one between the dropshadow edge and the BG.
    screengrab_20110204091722.jpg

also im not sure if this is intended behavior but i don't like how it opens new tabs when go between the concept art and 3d sections of the site or for that matter any section of the site unless people are opening something that uses a different style than the page or a document like a pdf i think it should all remain in 1 tab.

and there is also a other formating bug that shows in opera on the resume page screengrab_20110204092227.jpg

hope the feedback helps i like the site it just seems a bit buggy and unpredictable depending on the viewers browser.
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Your colours are beautiful Paul, the site is awesome as well. I went around it for a bit and didn't run into any weird frame issues, I am using firefox so I don't know what others have been using.

Edit: I can pass this along to our leads if you're interested Paul? I don't know if you have landed a gig or not.
  • Paulewog
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, this site is GLITCHY! I only tested it on firefox so.. web designer fail on my part! I'll get right to work trying to resolve these issues
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    Paulewog wrote: »
    Wow, this site is GLITCHY! I only tested it on firefox so.. web designer fail on my part! I'll get right to work trying to resolve these issues

well it is hard to avoid bugs with IE since they don't really care to much for standards but the opera stuff seems weird since i never made a site before the render so much differently on opera and FF like this one, and i didnt test on webkit yet but webkit browsers like chrome and operas presto engine usually preform pretty close even know they are different.

the important bit is that you got a good layout and colour scheme and it does work on FF which hits a large audience.
  • Firecracker197
    Offline / Send Message
    Firecracker197 polycounter lvl 11
    Everything looks good to me, although I got kinda lost when it opened a new tab on me..but oh well.

Your art is really good, honestly it might just be a timing thing if your not finding a full time gig. I have a lot of friends that graduated with me that are going for concept art and they are really good and haven't found much either. Just keep going with the contract and freelance work and then maybe that experience level will be enough to get you into a full time position.

Good luck!
  • Paulewog
    Offline / Send Message
    @ FireCracker197: thanks, I am very happy about the contract work and I am very thankful! :)
    @JasonLavoie: Great, Glad you like it. Any help I can get I would really appreciate. Where are you located?

@StephanH: I think your right. I asked my fiancee and she agrees. Here is what I changed it to.

topconceptartist.jpg
  • Paulewog
    Offline / Send Message
    i cant figure out why the links open up in new tabs. they have no "_blank" target specified.
  • Paulewog
    Offline / Send Message
    also, i think i know why IE is having issues. it might be due to the fact that the top css "div" ha a "fixed" position instead of "absolute" perhaps IE does not support this functionality.
  • Delerium
    Apart from the glitches on the website (it reads fine in chrome here btw) I love the content, especially the 2d environment pieces, very inspiring!
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    When your making a website you have to have all explorers installed on your machine don't you? So you can check for these errors by yourself.

Anyway nice work on the site either way, good luck. Gnomes for the win.
  • paulsvoboda
    Offline / Send Message
    paulsvoboda polycounter lvl 12
    Beautiful stuff on your site, Paul. I love your environment concepts. I'm not really a fan of lightbox but the rest of the site works fine for me (Chrome). The 3d and Concept links open up to another tab even if you are on the page which the link represents, which is slightly odd.
    As for the content, great stuff all around. The environment sketches especially. Look forward to seeing more.
  • Paulewog
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, fixed the links going to new tabs! after combing through the html, I found a little <target> piece of crap I must have accidentally pasted with some other javascript code. goddamnit!
  • Paulewog
    Offline / Send Message
    but the text size still baffles me... prolly one little chink of code somewhere in the css.
  • Paulewog
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, last bit fixed. the text size is no longer crazed! whew, thanks everyone for you feedback. now that the technical issues are out of the way, what do you all think of the site?!
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    well i always like the site and i really do like the extra bit of texture you added to the header and it displays flawless in opera now which is great.
  • Harry
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    "wog?" you know what this means in australia? :D
  • AlecMoody
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Your work looks great.

I'm with Paul Svoboda- light box drives me crazy. Try bookmarking about 30 portfolios and then open them all and try and work your way through them. The websites with light box will slow you down and get really irritating.
  • Paulewog
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Harry: i am from missouri, USA. I have no idea. lay it on me :/
  • Paulewog
    Offline / Send Message
    OMG just looked it up.......... holy shit. :(
  • Paulewog
    Offline / Send Message
    ummm, time for a slogan change. wow
  • Paulewog
    Offline / Send Message
    wow, so people from Britain have been looking at my avatar all this time thinking i am a racist douche... damn.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Paulewog wrote: »
    @ Harry: i am from missouri, USA. I have no idea. lay it on me :/

Game artists from the Midwest! Represent!

Those gun silhouettes were a nice addition.