Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Midgar, Possibly a UDK.

Hi all, i am new to polycount in a matter of posting my own stuff D: so here we go!

Depending on the time i get away from work, i'll trying to get this into the UDK.
Been working on it for 3.. 4 years maybe, ill post some of the older pictures to and aswell as the newest ones.

Harsh crits and comments are welcome ^___^!

It started out with...... this
Midgar3-2.jpg

Which grew into this
day.jpg

Which moved onto this
6000.jpg

Then that became this
midgar1111-1.jpg

And this is where i am now!
platform2.jpg

And here are some assets i will be using.

PowerBox.jpg

FireHydrant2.jpg

StandardWallLight.jpg

Stall.jpg

PortaLoo.jpg

PoliceSign.jpg

Lamp.jpg

HydrantSection.jpg

FireHydrant.jpg

ConstructionSign.jpg

Harsh crits welcome ^__^!

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    I like the "And this is where i am now!" image, but all these assets appear from a more modern era than this fantastical future environment would have.
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    I like the latest direction your taking with the overall scene. I agree that the assests that your showing from max dont really fit the style that you seem to be presenting. It appears to be some sort of futuristic factory is that right?
  • Warren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, i will that into consideration perhaps i can make them look more tech like ^_^ thanks!

And it's midgar from final fantasy 7

midgar.jpg
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    So what exactly is the scope and scale of this project? Because as you can see clearly in this video:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU9tTttgK9U&hd=1[/ame]

and this picture:

Midgar_Real_Life_Model.jpg

Midgar is clearly supposed to be some sort of hive city comprised of 9 sectors each large enough to be a city in their own right. Then there's the massive plate surround it and the slum underneath and around it. Trying to model all of it "accurately" would be a massive undertaking like trying to create an entire New York based sandbox game (like GTA or Prototype) by yourself.
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    this looks weird, you are showing the assets but they are not shown in the scene?
  • Warren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Matt
    Well it's taken a really long time to get this far, if thats what you mean.. i'm not doing this alone either.

@voff
    Consider this a blockout sort of thing, im going to start populating the plates and the underground now.
  • DOG-GY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DOG-GY polycounter lvl 12
    It seems like you're forgetting polygon counts on your assets. They're p unoptimized as is. You should give them all a good passover. They also don't feel like they could or should exist in that world, but I know nothing of the series anyway.
  • Warren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I havn't really had much time on this but.. Mega bump.

Umm, i'll be working on the outer plates and the actualy plates again seeings as they're really not that great. But progress.

night.jpg

aaaaaa.jpg

2-6.jpg

I'll be working on it more this afternoon when I'm home from work. Unfortunantly I cannot get this into UDK due to some oddly errors exporting it from max, even portions of the model will not export.
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    Midgar is clearly supposed to be some sort of hive city comprised of 9 sectors each large enough to be a city in their own right. Then there's the massive plate surround it and the slum underneath and around it. Trying to model all of it "accurately" would be a massive undertaking like trying to create an entire New York based sandbox game (like GTA or Prototype) by yourself.

Enter: http://www.polycount.com/2011/01/28/city-creation-tools/#more-5101
  • Warren
  • Warren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update :
    Reworking the plates since they were a bit old and redoing the inner and outer plate walls. The sectors are v2.

Solid:

newplates.jpg

Wireframe :

newplateswireframe.jpg
  • Orchidface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orchidface polycounter lvl 7
    are you seriously modeling a fire hydrant when the end goal is to model Midgar in its entirety? Dude, that's like modeling a bacteria when the end goal is to model a person.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Orchidface wrote: »
    are you seriously modeling a fire hydrant when the end goal is to model Midgar in its entirety? Dude, that's like modeling a bacteria when the end goal is to model a person.

ahahahhaahhaha
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    its not a good idea to keep building it entirely in max if u want to bring it to a game engine eventually.
    You need to make your decision now because later u won't handle the export of all that massive load of assets into Unreal and placing them again in the new scene.
    You need to start breaking down modular blocks and individual assets now if u want to bring it to UDK afterwards.
    Also it would be good to UV and think about textures at this point because, again, u will end up with huge load of geometry that need to be mapped and textured which will simply overwhelm u.
  • Orchidface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orchidface polycounter lvl 7
    Matroskin wrote: »
    its not a good idea to keep building it entirely in max if u want to bring it to a game engine eventually.
    You need to make your decision now because later u won't handle the export of all that massive load of assets into Unreal and placing them again in the new scene.
    You need to start breaking down modular blocks and individual assets now if u want to bring it to UDK afterwards.
    Also it would be good to UV and think about textures at this point because, again, u will end up with huge load of geometry that need to be mapped and textured which will simply overwhelm u.

For sure. Also, if you ever plan on texturing it, if you model it all first, you will have about 5 million different fire hydrants to texture. However, if you model and texture the first fire hydrant all together, you can then propagate that textured hydrant all over. Generally when making a game environment the workflow is to make each prop and piece of modular architecture in separate max files for each. Then you take these little pieces and assemble them in the game engine (in your case udk).