Home General Discussion

ZEITGEIST: Moving Forward.

Replies

• XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    I think a machine like that could have been built 6 years ago.

I'm not sure how much you've read/heard/watched/researched about the Venus Project but you're misunderstand it in many ways.

People keep dismissing this project, but fail to give a better alternative.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    A replicator 6 years ago? holy shit, beam me up.

As mentioned, these are all great ideas, but they fail to take into consideration the human factor.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, a machine that can recognize voice command and then initiate the coffee machine to make it. Who said anything about a replicator lol, maybe in a future, who knows?
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    lol

we can do that for like 20 years. Haven't you ever seen Knight Rider?

Really dude, the voice part is the easy part. It's the, you know, matter replication energy->matter conversion that has some people stumped.

Having a voice-activated coffee machine is about as impressive as having a back to the future hoverboard without the hover part.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In the Venus project you're free to work on your replicator with a team of people that share that particular interest, if it helps humans in a grand sense, then why not?

Good luck doing that now...

First you need the money to go to university, then you need the money to start up the business, more money for resources, more money for workers, more for production, manufacture, packaging, shipping.

Half way through that you run out of money (probably during university lol), so you take out a loan, then more loans, then when you finally advance 10% all your research and prototypes belong to the lenders.

yay

Why not just make the coffee yourself :poly124:.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah, why go to college and try to get all those grants when you can just invent a replicator?

Come on, guys.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I was pretty dismissive about the nicely edited video but all this replicator talk sounds awesome!
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    I think it's great that this has been brought up in this forum. And I really appreatiate some of the intelligent minds that have taken part in the discussion. Well done for taking part! But I cannot believe how many people have been excusing themselves from the issue because "this is how life is"......"This is how the system is"....."Grow up etc."."I want pure fact - proof - on my lap" by the way - WHAT THE FUCK IS PURE FACT? - no such thing.

We are constantly manupIated - ofcourse we are. It's easy. I would just like it if we could fight for something different - and better - like a lot of video game developers might help us with (Deus Ex) and point out all the bullshit. Media and ( and games ) is probably one of the most powrful tools in history. lets really use it to make a better world, because we have the skills to reach millions of western citizens, and point out what's wrong, and how to help - much more powerful than dedicating manual labour to an African refugee camp....
  • Dean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dean polycounter lvl 9
    Fomori wrote: »
    But I cannot believe how many people have been excusing themselves from the issue because "this is how life is"......"This is how the system is"....."Grow up etc."."I want pure fact - proof - on my lap" by the way - WHAT THE FUCK IS PURE FACT? - no such thing.

We are constantly manupIated - ofcourse we are. It's easy

Well said. This is one of the most important things someone can and should realise, all is relative. There is no absolute truth and we have always thought within the frame of the period. Just because something challenges your beliefs doesn't automatically mean it's bogus. A lot of people get defensive about things that, as mentioned, challenge your beliefs because it attacks their very persona. Ideas, points of view and notions form the very core of our identity and things that go against them are often treated with hostility for they would compromise the integrity of the self.

Always keep in mind that nothing is absolute and everything (of course, Zeitgeist too) can - and probably will - be improved and/or changed. Such is life, ever changing.
  • PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    This thread is amazing.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Fomori wrote: »
    ...like a lot of video game developers might help us with (Deus Ex) and point out all the bullshit...

I'm not entirely sure you should use that title as an example, considering it was never meant to be.

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxVPPy5w9NA[/ame]
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Dean wrote: »
    Well said. This is one of the most important things someone can and should realise, all is relative. There is no absolute truth and we have always thought within the frame of the period. Just because something challenges your beliefs doesn't automatically mean it's bogus. A lot of people get defensive about things that, as mentioned, challenge your beliefs because it attacks their very persona. Ideas, points of view and notions form the very core of our identity and things that go against them are often treated with hostility for they would compromise the integrity of the self.

Always keep in mind that nothing is absolute and everything (of course, Zeitgeist too) can - and probably will - be improved and/or changed. Such is life, ever changing.

People are always saying this kind of thing "everthing is relative" etc etc and making it sound like they have some bigger more realistic view of whats going on in the world than anyone else, as if thier perception of the world is the right way to see things and everyone else is "just being defensive" and fooling themselves into sticking to thier core beliefs. Just because some people may percieve zietgiest as being full of great ideas doesnt mean it really is, just because some people reject zietgiest and accept some other notion of what would be right for this world doesnt mean they are wrong or limited in thier understanding of thier world around them or being held back by thier own beliefs in any way. Gosh people dont turn this into some wierd us and them thing.
  • Fomori
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    there's an irony in manipulative videos about manipulative corporations and governments.
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld wrote: »
    there's an irony in manipulative videos about manipulative corporations and governments.

haha, +1
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, i have a great idea for a new mmo, it's called the venus project, i'm kindof an idea guy but i was thinking if we could get a lot of engineers and artisans and scientists to join in it would be really cool! You can use the work in your portfolio, and this is going to be an AWESOME utopian society just like WoW but with better combat more like halo cause it's gonna be set in modern day.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SupRore wrote: »
    blah

Why are you so mad? Maybe you can tear apart the Venus Project and tell us what you don't like about it, or why it wont work.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Burden of proof is on the guy who proposes that scarcity isnt a real thing, not the guy standing behind established, thoroughly tested economic theories.

Claiming a crackpot idea without any real science on it, presenting it like it's common sense, and then getting a bunch of sheep to proselytize for you is disgusting.

This is way worse manipulation and groupthink than any corporation or government has ever thrown torward me during my life so far. 'If we just didn't have any money, we'd get so much more done' is pure propoganda. Money has a lot of evils stemming from it, and it's horrible all the waste and loss and harm to humans that comes from it, but ignporing it doesn't just preserver all the benefits it brings to society while eliminating all the flaws.

Also, 'umad? why u so mad?' has never been and never will be a good way to engage in debate.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're clearly mad and are arguing about a something you know nothing of. Or you think you do, but you wont go any further to find out if you're right or wrong.

I was merely asking a question, I gain nothing out of debating with you.

Funny thing is some things you said is what we live in today.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    You're clearly mad and are arguing about a something you know nothing of. Or you think you do, but you wont go any further to find out if you're right or wrong.

I was merely asking a question, I gain nothing out of debating with you.

Funny thing is what you said is what we actually live in today.

And I guess you took time to check out how the world currently works, or did you get that information from what Moving forward told you?
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I live in this world, I would like to think I know at least something about it?

Lets take poverty for example, the Venus Project is striving towards global equality. In our current world the problem persists because of unfair debt, trade and tax policies. Some could say that the rich are taking advantage of the poor countries. We can easily share all the worthless paper with a stamp and picture on it that we call money equally among the world, but then there is no rich or poor, who will you look down upon and make fun of? Who will suffer by living in some of the worlds most unsanitary places while we all live in luxury?

I did a good about of information about Human behavior and social pathology, and also about "how the world currently works" from this Movie, so I would be wrong to say I didn't. I must be an idiot to think we can do better than this, not saying we can be perfect, but at least better than what we have now.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We can easily share all the worthless paper with a stamp and picture on it that we call money equally among the world

What does the worthless paper represent?

Do the things that the worthless paper represents have value?

Are those things a necessity?

(hint: dont say gold, it's just another kind of worthless paper)
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The venus project says nothing about how to get to there, thats the flaw. Its a beautiful idea, its just utterly irrelevant given the society we have today. We cant just start over on a whim, even if everybody shared that same goal without a thought given to the process of change, but a pretty pastel of a goal.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey bbob, that's an excellent question. Jacque and Roxanna have been asked this question many times.

I'll try my best to answer it but if you want a true answer I suggest you visit The Venus Project website and travel to the FAQ section, under that you can read question #14: How do we get from here to there?
    http://thevenusproject.com/en/the-venus-project-introduction/faq

What The Venus Project proposes is to erect a small demo city where all the ideas Jacque and Roxanne have thought of can be tested. This city will also be used to see how the emotional and social transaction from our monetary society to a resource-based society would happen and then adjust accordingly. It would also test living conditions, food, water, shelter etc.

Now a look at lighter side of things (may or may not represent lols):

It represents worthlessness.

No, but the paper can be recycled and used for something useful.

Being worthless isn't necessary, but paper is. Although I would like to see mostly everything digitized.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    "# What would you consider to be the most difficult technological hurdle to overcome before building the Circular City?

Social and cultural lag. All people are always immersed in a culture which is responsible for the levels of education. Today unfortunately most education is designed as propaganda rather than information related to the physical laws that govern all living and non-living systems."

wtf?
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Today unfortunately most education is designed as propaganda
    I think he's talking about our college's and University's today and how corrupt they are in many ways. I think Pen and Teller covered this in bullshit.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_m0uhToV94[/ame]
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Today unfortunately most education is designed as propaganda
    I think he's talking about our college's and University's today and how corrupt they are in many ways. I think Pen and Teller covered this in bullshit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_m0uhToV94

I forgot for a moment there that there were other countries than the US.

Oh wait, I'm not from the US.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld wrote: »
    I forgot for a moment there that there were other countries than the US.

Oh wait, I'm not from the US.

Nope. There aren't. All other countries are just the various suburbs of the US.

Did you not receive the memo?
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, that's why he said "most education" not all.
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    Did you not receive the memo?

It might be in his junk mail. :)
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, that's why he said "most education" not all.

It might be in his junk mail. :)

Most, a good mathematical un-biased measurement.

I guess I've been jaded living in a country with free-education, free-healthcare, an active effort for a better environment, good worker rights, equality etc..
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's nice that you live in a country like that, but majority of the world doesn't, and that's what The Venus Project proposes to change.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    then I present to you: project sweden

It's a project where every country reshapes to look and work like sweden, it's way more proven than venus.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would join you any day :). Sweden is one of the happiest places in the world!

According for Forbes it's #4:

http://www.forbes.com/2010/07/14/world-happiest-countries-lifestyle-realestate-gallup-table.html

My two mother countries are between #115 and #148. :(. Canada is # 8, nice.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any video-game companies there?
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Found another great watch. Very educational and a great history lesson.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pktOXJr1vOQ[/ame]
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now a look at lighter side of things (may or may not represent lols):

It represents worthlessness.

No, but the paper can be recycled and used for something useful.

Being worthless isn't necessary, but paper is. Although I would like to see mostly everything digitized.

May represent a fundamental flaw in your understanding of economics, making you susceptible to buy into bullshit like the venus project.
  • Dean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dean polycounter lvl 9
    Ged wrote: »
    People are always saying this kind of thing "everthing is relative" etc etc and making it sound like they have some bigger more realistic view of whats going on in the world than anyone else, as if thier perception of the world is the right way to see things and everyone else is "just being defensive" and fooling themselves into sticking to thier core beliefs. Just because some people may percieve zietgiest as being full of great ideas doesnt mean it really is, just because some people reject zietgiest and accept some other notion of what would be right for this world doesnt mean they are wrong or limited in thier understanding of thier world around them or being held back by thier own beliefs in any way. Gosh people dont turn this into some wierd us and them thing.

I'm not at all implying that my view on the world is "the right way". There probably isn't even such a thing as "the right way" because we should always be analysing, evaluating and if needed changing our approaches. We do this in the scientific field but we do not apply it to other key subject like the monetary system for example. We don't do it because we're afraid to take a step back and actually be critical of the way we do things because it attacks our way of life, which is part of our persona.

What I DO however believe, is that what Zeitgeist advocates is a BETTER solution, but no utopia as you seem to think that I am preaching.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • bluekangaroo