Home Technical Talk

1:1 FPS Ratio in sprite animation from max?

RezNik
triangle
Offline / Send Message
RezNik triangle
When creating animated sprite sheets with 3ds max do you guys animate a higher framerate in max then have a script render out every Nth frame? Or would there be a 1:1 ratio in frames?

Seems to me that, working on a higher framed animation then rendering every nth frame is like working on a high rez image that's gonna lose detail when shrunk down. Am I correct?

Thanks.

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working 1:1 has always been better for me than rendering every Nth frame. Rendering every Nth frame normally = instant chop. It would be nearly pointless to double the FPS then render every other frame, I just don't see any logic to it.

I use render every Nth frame, to spot check final render quality without rendering every single frame.

Not only does it create a headache trying to remember its only the 2nd or 5th frames that count, but you really don't have a way of previewing it effectively unless you render it out. You also have to worry about how programs name files. Typically the file is named the frame it was. When you render every other frame you no longer have a sequence, which means you have to rename them or find some way to force it to sequence the file names.

The only time I would do every Nth frame is if the tech budget was somehow cut and we had a ton of re-rendering to do. If it was just one or two that where too long I would probably re-animate it to work within the new specs.