Home General Discussion

Requirements for an Artist in the Games Industry

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
orpheus85 polycounter lvl 14
Hi everyone,
I am going to complete my studies in a few months and I was deciding to collect informations about the various Artists positions in the Industry.

I am basically into modelling and texturing, and I like to model (in order of preference)
1. props
2. Characters
4. Vehicles
3. Environment

Eventually my goal is to be a good character Artist.

The main concern is that when I will be looking for a job, its not necessary that I would be able to get the exact job that I am looking for. So I need my portfolio to support me in getting an initial job.

-I would like to know which area is most in demand in the industry. As far as I have been going through company job lists, it varies from company to company and the most requirements are of the Environment artist.

-I would like to know the industrial requirements for each of these fields.
example the maximum tri-count that I can show in each model, maximum texture size I can use.

Any kinda information would be helpful

Thanks

I have done three new work as of now.... will be doing more....

Abe.jpg
stuarttank1.jpg
stuarttank.jpg
sci-f-hallway.jpg

Replies

• Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    There aren't really industrial requirements for anything, really. Just don't go overboard. It all depends on what engine you are running a game on, what platform, etc. If you are making an iPhone game, you won't have the same limitations as you would on, say, a current-gen game in UDK, for the Xbox 360 and/or PC. Just make sure it looks pretty enough to make your potential employer go wow.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    There is always need for quick and efficient prop/asset guys, environment artist will always be needed, as the worlds get bigger and more visually demanding. Right now I'd say the most important aspect is efficiency and the ability to optimize.

Texture budget, tri-count will always be different, always. Depending on what engine you're using, certain circumstances. The key is to be able to produce efficient assets, optimized and making good use of the texture memory you have.

Show that you're skilled with texturing but also the actual UV-layouts of models/textures. It's key for good 3d game artists, characters and environments alike.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    There's always a larger need of props and environments in game when you look at it through a character to prop ratio.

Your work is really good though man, keep pumping out good quality work, weather it be character, prop or environment. I think you'll do fine :).
  • orpheus85
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    orpheus85 polycounter lvl 14
    Cheers guys for the response, efficiency and the platforms for which the model it will be used do stand as the basis for a models optimization, so after giving some thoughts I have decided to take the rules of Dominance war, Comic con challenge, and Unearthly challenge as the base for my art creation. As this will enable me to give good output with some restrictions.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can't go wrong using those as inspiration.

The first three links here might also be helpful.
    http://wiki.polycount.com/CategoryPortfolio

And this info about poly limits
    http://wiki.polycount.com/PolygonCount