Home Technical Talk

Scaling skeletal mesh for game engine

Edit: I use maya 2009-2011

Hi!, my first thread on PC so sorry if Im off topic on this forum-section or something.

After doing lots of animation on a character I've realized it's not properly scaled, engine needs a properly scaled .dae file.

I have several different scenes I've been working on and i need to scale them up *1.2
Somehow i need to remove animation and detach skin, export weights,rescale the skeleton and mesh, freeze transform and put everything back together. In every scene!

However, when i rescale the skeleton, the exported translation channels will not scale to fit the new upsized skeleton. The process becomes very time consuming, and exported skinweights is crap

My current take on it is to use my character_before_bind, scale it up, rig it and use an animation script to copy animation channels from the smaller versions and just scale the translation channels with the same value as i've scaled the skeleton. (if this makes sense. Just gonna try it now)

The; character_before_bind.mb - skeleton has canstraints for control-curves though, which makes me unable to freeze transform scale.

Does anyone have an idea on how to approach this the best/ easiest way?

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What app, what kind of a skeleton?

If you're using 3dsmax and Biped, its simple.
    Place the pivot for the mesh at the biped footstep node (round thing between the feet), unfreeze it, and use the align tool.
    Save the animation from the biped menu.
    Bake and save out the weights.
    Remove skin.
    Scale the biped by adjusting the height.
    Scale the mesh.
    Reset xform.
    Apply skin, load weights, load animations and you're done.

Good luck if you're using a rig you created yourself... For all its little workflow annoyances, biped handles things like this amazingly well.
  • Modesty Blaze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What app, what kind of a skeleton?

Good luck if you're using a rig you created yourself... For all its little workflow annoyances, biped handles things like this amazingly well.

It's a rig with ik/fk and controls. Thats the problem, can i scale the skeleton with these type of constraints? in maya that is.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    It's a rig with ik/fk and controls. Thats the problem, can i scale the skeleton with these type of constraints? in maya that is.

Can't you disable the IK and then move the position of the pivots around?