Home General Discussion

portfolio dilema

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Oniram polycounter lvl 17
hey everyone,

im encountering a big disaster when coming to deciding what to do for a portfolio demo reel. currently i am required to create a demo reel consisting of 6-8 props. these props can be anything from weapons, to vehicles, to a game asset, just nothing simple like crates or barrels (they will even allow busts). here is where my issue comes in. i want to make guns, (LOTS AND LOTS OF GUNS!), but part of the requirements is that the pieces must be different, they even specify, "do not do 8 guns." so im deciding, what sort of vehicles or props could i mix in with this. my answer so far...

NOTHING!

im wondering, what is better to see: a demo reel showing experience in one area (in my case, weapons), or is it better to be diverse and show similarities for hard surface/organic in general.

as it stands, im debating whether or not to continue doing a "prop" demo reel (i havent started, ive just been gathering concepts), or to switch to an environment reel. i figure if i am going to be doing props, i may as well do a full environment (unless its something unique and specific that i can find).

im just looking for a second opinion on this matter if anyone would be so kind.

thx,
-sean marino

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    You could always do a mock video game scene, full of props and a player with a gun in a fps view.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Just make an armory! You can make multiple weapons, knives, grenades, etc.
    Plus tables, racks, trashcans, bullets, and a room to house it all + lighting.
    A full scene that contains the types of items you are interested in making.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @zacD: yeah, we have an option to do either 1 full environment (such as a level from a game), or 3 separate environments, being either a room, or just a mini scene. im not too sure i would go on the route of a single environment tho, id be more keen to mini scenes for environments.

@scoobydoofus: that sounds like a great idea.. ill have to see if it will fly with my teachers (and if it doesnt i may just be like bfd im doing it anyway). ill keep that in mind. only issue with that would be that im only going to be doing 6-8 guns, of which vary from ww2, modern, and scifi. so keeping it consistent will be somewhat of a challenge for that.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Why do schools still insist that non-animators make demo reels?
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Having env props will always help to find that first job really. I think it's best to have a bit of variety at first (just not too crazy either), you'll have plenty of time to specialize later, sometimes after you've had your first job.

Yeah tying all the assets together with a theme and eventually a game scene is definitely a good idea, and will set your work apart from people who will just have made the first random objects that popped through their head.

Justin_Meisse, I agree that it's kind of silly, but I guess it's always nice to teach the students how to do basic video capture etc, it's always useful for doing 360 animations, or flybys of environments. I think nowadays environments are best shown off with videos, to show how the materials react to lighting, and eventually little animated details etc. But yeah, a proper image portfolio is always best when applying to jobs, any kind of video support should be bonus and optional.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    Why do schools still insist that non-animators make demo reels?

~ +1
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Make a few guns and mix in some other environment props and a vehicle.

You're not going to wind up just making rifles all day, look at any modern FPS and you've usually got a weapon that calls in an airstrike, etc. I'm a weapon artist at Volition but I still have a handful of vehicles and robots in my work docket.

Some sort of military depot environment theme will let you come up with a lot of related items that aren't strictly weapons - whether its an armory with racks and a desk/computer for the quartermaster, or a garage with some guns and a Humvee and a portable generator, etc, you'll show a greater diversity of props while still keeping it themed around what you want to do.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @justin: it seems that my school (art institute of fort lauderdale) is SLOWLY leaning away from demo reels. they just now started to tell us we wont be needing an actual dvd to send to companies anymore, because companies dont want them. generally, they like to have us make demo reels to show during portfolio presentation, just because its digital media (i guess?). i personally have no preference to either, but i think its stupid when they give 3 classes for portfolio, 1 to prep, 1 to work, and 1 to render and composite (and they wonder why game art puts out about 80% crap for graduating students). im in the "prep" class now, and if im going to be doing props, id like to get at least 2 out of the 6 or 8 done. for me, rendering wont take too long (as opposed to those who choose to render in max or zbrush that takes about 3 weeks nonstop on about 20 multiple computers), because ill mostly be doing either UDK or marmoset realtime captures.

@bal: for the requirements for prop, they want just a 360 of each piece, environments could be flythroughs or stills (in video format regardless), but here's the difference. naturally the environment reels will require a bit more of busy work as opposed to fine tuning details, which is where im trying to find a balance. if i do an environment reel (either 2 or 3), ill spend less time on making things look as good as possible (which is i guess how some things get done in the industry), and more time trying to bang out interesting but unique pieces that all fit together in some way shape or form.

@ghostscape: that may be the direction i will go with a prop reel. my limit is 8, min is 6 (for 6 only they all have to be textured, i can get away with only modeling if i do 8.. tho i plan to texture). problem with incorporating an environment with the props is the similarity that everything will have, essentially turning it into an environment reel, and 1 environment with some pretty props wont cut it (here anyway). what i think i may do is just a basic demo of 360 props.. maybe about 3 guns, 1 vehicle, and 2 props.. all changing from scifi to modern and historical.

thx for the input everyone.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Lulz, tell me about it, I graduated from AiFL from 2003 and they had me duplicating VHS copies of my demo reel to send to studios.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I went to AI SD and we were not forced to do some retarded demo reel. Guess AI FL needs to get with the times. Then again I have only heard bad things about AI FL.

We were required to make a website portfolio which is exactly what you should be required to make. We did also have to make a print portfolio which was expensive but great to have at GDC and interview type events.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Oniram wrote: »
    @ghostscape: that may be the direction i will go with a prop reel. my limit is 8, min is 6 (for 6 only they all have to be textured, i can get away with only modeling if i do 8.. tho i plan to texture).

More useful than anything else you do with this is making sure your assets are textured and finished.

I'll second the Print Portfolio thing - being able to flip through a simple binder with some nice prints was great when I was last at GDC - nobody wants to pull their laptop out and load up your stuff, I think one guy did it (and the website/cd business cards that I had were the same stuff I had printed, anywayways). Being able to pull out stuff in 5 seconds and start pointing and flipping is amazing when you only have a minute to make an impression.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Yeah, it's kinda wierd.

I'm teaching a Character Art class at Champlain College semester, and I'm certainly not going to ask my student to compile a demo reel.

Although that seems like such a foreign concept to much of the faculty, Keep in mind that many faculty members had their experience in the industry when demo reels were essential. Heck, I believe places like Bioware and Blizzard demanded on their website a VHS format of a demo reel until mid 2000s, or it would not even be looked at.

:/

As to the OP, Your work is pretty nice. I would suggest if you do decide to go with more Guns and Props, diversify them substantially. Make a Wild West hand cannon, then follow it up with modern day Sniper Rifle.

It might not diversify the subject, but it shows how you treat different styles and materials.

Vehicles are also not a far stretch of a skillset (when I was working on FarCry 2, I believe the weapons guy made the vehicles as well).

In the end, if the point of the diverse content is show the diversity of your skillset, make sure you pick items that exemplify them.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @anthony: im sure everything you've heard about AIFL is true. lol. i really do have regrets about going to school for game art, but im 3 quarters short of graduating so i may as well finish. we are required to make a portfolio website, but through the AI grads school website which is stupid because they claim "the AI grad website will get more hits than ur personal one." in some cases it may be true for people who dont advertise themselves on forums or places like linkedin, but otherwise i disagree. we were only required to take ONE web design class. i was unfortunately placed in the class taught by a teacher who didnt know his ass from his elbow when it came to anything he taught at the school (web design and unreal), and after working on my portfolio website with little to no instruction for a quarter, he gave me a B because it didnt have the things (iframe, rollovers, etc) that he wanted to see. id love to make a print portfolio for gdc this year as well. maybe not as big as i would after i graduate and ive finished all of my work, but by then i should have 1 or 2 of my pieces finished. generally tho, id say maybe 10% of the people ive seen graduate in the past 2 years do not have their own website.. and i think only 5 or 6 people (in the past 2 years) have gotten jobs in a game-art related field. just goes to show that they seem to just not give a damn about getting anywhere after school. of course most people come to this school with the idea of "im gonna just sit and play video games all day" (which a lot of them do).

@ghostscape: yeah, there are a lot of people who choose not to texture their props just due to laziness, or lack of motivation, which often times kinda pisses me off that they wont even try. to me, an untextured prop just really doesnt sell (especially when its a low poly projection).

@JacqueChoi: thanks. ill take those suggestions into account.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Lulz, tell me about it, I graduated from AiFL from 2003 and they had me duplicating VHS copies of my demo reel to send to studios.

oh man I remember that! fun times...me and the VHS tapes...hey wait, I graduated from AiFL too in '03... and if tuition didn't kill you, to postage for those tapes sure did.