Home General Discussion

How long did it take for you to become profecient

DarKMessiah34
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
DarKMessiah34 polycounter lvl 5
Hey, I was wondering how long has it taken you to reach a point where you feel really proficient in creating game environments. Included are learning modeling (high, low), sculpting, and a game engine such as UDK. I know that everyone is always learning I am just trying to get a good estimate in hopes of putting this a little in preservative for me. I have been doing it for about a year and feel like I have such a long way to go, but at the same time feel like I have come a long way. Thanks for the insight guys.

Replies

• Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Well I too also have a long way to go but I've been doing "real" art for over 3 years. In the past I used to mod Half Life 1 and then Source but eventually I moved to 3DS Max and finally UDK.

Overall I've been doing this hobby and now career choice for 7 years. Overall you'll find some people are just naturally talented and others take longer. What floor on the office skyscraper did you start at and where are you now?
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One thing I've learned in my 4 years of 3D;

It's not how long it takes you to be awesome, it's how awesome you are.

I got into game art about 18 months ago, and was focused on learning as much as I could, as quickly as I could, and all I ended up with was a half-assed portfolio.

In the last few months I've completely taken 'time' out of my goals. If it takes me another 10 years to land a job, so be it. And to be honest, my work has never been better, and I'm enjoying it more so than ever.

The problem with answering your question is that it's different for different people, and as you say, you never stop learning. Another variable is how do you judge 'proficient'? One persons idea of proficient may be very different to anothers.

And most importantly, don't aim to be 'proficient', aim to be awesome.

When you consistently produce work that drops jaws, then you're awesome, and that will take as long as it takes.
  • Veneficus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think what he means by proficient is when you feel that your art, and the vision you had of your art when you set out to make it, matches or exceeds your expectations. As there are many ways to judge wether you`re proficient, I`d say the best definition is "when you feel you are". I`d say it vastly depends on wether what you are doing is technical or artistic. Technical things can generallly be learned quite quickly, as there are lots of good reading material to be found, and if you do some focused studying, reading it is more or less knowing it. Artistic stuff is more based on experience, so there`s nothing to it but to get working. It still helps to read, and you also learn a lot from changing technique often, whenever you are stuck for instance.

To answer your question. Technical stuff = as fast as you can read. Artistic stuff - has fast as you have the stamina for.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    took me about 3-4 years to feel like I was 'moderately decent'

approaching year 5 now
  • keizza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keizza polycounter lvl 18
    it does take years....to become proficient at anything. i remember one time(i'm a drummer), i saw this amazing drummer play live in a small club. i went up after the show and asked him how long he had been playing. he answered with "it's not how long you play....it's how much you practice". i KNOW what you mean by asking the question you are asking. but you can shave time by workin some ass off. there's this 2d guy "cole eastburn"....he worked his ass off for a good year or something....and became a total badass. so...you can approach it two ways.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    I forgot to mention but it is said that it takes 10,000 hours to master something.
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commador polycounter lvl 14
    bounchfx wrote: »
    took me about 3-4 years to feel like I was 'moderately decent'

approaching year 5 now

10,000 hour rule?

Habboi wrote: »
    I forgot to mention but it is said that it takes 10,000 hours to master something.

Arrg. Beat me to it.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    I'm disappointed that i've only spent around 1,000 - 1,500 hours (judging from the things on my pc)

fuck, thats awful... long way to go.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    a decade. not there yet.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V17duGlHEYY&playnext=1&list=PL6FAC5B9462E548D1&index=1[/ame]

couldn't resist. ...one interesting thing to do is to find older threads by Polycounters and see how there work has progressed over time..course I don't think that it will give you a clear idea of the time involved, because of individual circumstance, but it is good for inspiration. I think the less time you worry about the time involved, and the more time just doing it..you'll get there..I know, I know take your own fucking advice for once MR LO..and get back to work on the civil war...I have an excuse, I've been sick :cough: ..stupid flu.

Stay Positive and keep at it..and you'll get there