Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Wannes Vanderstappen

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Achyra polycounter lvl 12
Hi all,

I'm new here at polycount, and I hope I can learn a lot here.
I'm in my last (3rd) year Digital Arts & Entertainment - Game Development where I learned modeling (high and low poly), but also working with editors such as UDK and programming.
Most of the time, I create environment art. You can see most of it on my portfolio website, where you can also find my resum

Replies

• Achyra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, and sorry about the thread title, I didn't know it had to be [Portfolio] Wannes Vanderstappen. I only saw the "Portfolio Threads - Rules and FAQ"-thread after I made this one.
  • DarkV68
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice work, maybe a wip page isn't a bad idea?
    Just to see what you're currently working at :)
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Looks great! Love the layout on you thumbs. My only crit would be to take away your old enviorment or work a bit more on it. I'm refering to First low poly scene
  • Sebeuroc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebeuroc polycounter lvl 13
    Good job, dude. The layout feels nice to me, and for the most part your work looks sharp. The only thing that bothers me is the older street corner model, it just feels like a weaker piece than the rest.
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    Looks good man, found something interesting in every pic.
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    thats pretty cool stuff.
    Hopefully Texture part fill be filled up with more content ;)

The only thing i am thinking about is removing the 1st shot from UT3 asian style enviro. The brigde connecting 2 rocky banks is not looking good imo. And since its the 1st shot we see it kinda lets down that level. If u use existing assets and doing only LD/layout part then u have no excuse to have visually weak architecture wich that bridge is. But the rest of the level is pretty good looking, I am pretty sure other screens will easily replace that 1st shot ;)

Btw, loving that Walled city project. There was a thread here on polycount of you or someone of your project mates. But I never saw the `finished` state project. Is there any website of it by chance to check it out? It looks really great.
  • Jeremy Tabor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Tabor polycounter lvl 13
    Cool. My only question would be why you chose to put the rock study so high up the list. Is it because it is one of your more recent works and a more accurate representation of your current skill level? I would still think that an entire scene better represents you better as an environment artist rather than just a single rock.
  • Achyra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @sltrOlsson & Sebeuroc: My first low poly scene is going to be removed as soon as I have some more other work.

@Matroskin: Yes, the bridge construction looks very weak. Maybe I can make the BSP of the concrete a bit thicker. There is no website about the Kowloon project. You can probably find more screenshots on the portfolios of my teammates.

@Robat: The rock study is up so high because it is more recent. When I add something new, I always put it at the top.