Home Technical Talk

3DS Max 2010 Import Problems

polygon
Offline / Send Message
Bubba91873 polygon
Hello, I have a few problems if anyone could lend some input.

Situation:
Importing a model into Max 2010 that already has uvw coordinantes and textures. Model is in multiple x20 objects with several textures and automatically scaled with import script.
Texture sizes for the model are in 2048x1024 which I am not used to working with that size.

As I understand things, rectangle textures offer the ability to pack pixels tighter then square textures... Or that might be incorrect.

Questions:
1. How does xform modifier come into play on these situations ? Like flipped poly's, model/textures out of scale etc...
2. If I attached all the objects in scene into 1 object and go in and redo the uvw map, how do i over-come the fact that the original textures are in 2048x1024 ? when I set the output to 2048x1024 it distorts the uv's badly.
3. Would a normalize clusters option be the solution to this alignment problem in uv editor of Max ?

(The uv's clusters in editor are set to use 2048x1024 but Max's editor defaults to square image) (Hard to pack the uv's into window with this problem ;/ )

4. If I wanted to reapply the origianl texture and coordinates in the uv editor
how do I get the UV window to scale to 2048x1024 without distoring the uv's ? ex. the uv's are squished down horizontally and not square if the map size is changed in uv window...

I have read that setting the V tile to 2.0 would set the UV editor to use a rectangle box instead of the default square and would fix the problem but I'm not sure and dont want to screw it up. Theres lots of confusing info on the net /
Or use the freeform scale tool on the uv clusters after setting the image box to 2048x1024 and put clusters back in like that. idk

5. Once I get the above problems sorted out, can Max's RTT render out proper Ambient Occlusion maps etc... if the textures are kept at 2048x1024 ? Without the usual render errors that are common.

6. Would applieing a uvw xform reset on each model object or single mesh fix the aspect ratio and allow a square uv template to be rendered out ? Incase all else fails.

There is probably simple answers to this and forgive my noobness in advance and thank you for any help.It's my way of learning.

Replies

• Bubba91873
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bubba91873 polygon
    I actually just corrected some problems such as the viewport blurriness and getting the textures setup correctly in the material editor.
    Having Max viewports set to use match bitmap size helped.

But if I wanted to redo the existing texture, that problem still exists in uv editor as stated in above post.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    In the Unwrap Editor, in options>preferences:
    check use custom bitmap size and put the right resolution in Render width/height
    OR
    uncheck it and select your texture in the listbox at the top of the editor (CheckerPattern by default)

Using non square texture is a bit tedious, since projection will always be "squared"
    The normalize option will fit your projection to your uv square (or rectangle) so the uvs take as much place as possible. There will be deformations so this is not what you want. Uncheck it.
    So you have to scale your uv in one direction at 50% (or 200% in the other) I usually do it roughly manually to have the maxscript command in the maxscript listener, then cancel, and recopy it with the good parameters.

example :
    $.modifiers[#unwrap_uvw].unwrap1.ScaleSelectedXY 0.5 1[0,0,0]
    will scale at 50% your uv horizontally, with the origin at 0 0

OR

use the scale tool with the percent snap toggle at 50%, but you can't control precisely the origin point.
  • Bubba91873
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bubba91873 polygon
    Good stuff, thank you very much for sharing that.

Another question I have, is there a way to retrieve the original uv layout from a collapesd stack after importing the model? This may make the above questions mute.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Well, if the uv import correclty, just put an unwrap modifier on top.
    The uv are written in the mesh when you collapse your stack, so you don't need an unwrap modfier all the way.
  • Bubba91873
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bubba91873 polygon
    Noors wrote: »
    Well, if the uv import correclty, just put an unwrap modifier on top.
    The uv are written in the mesh when you collapse your stack, so you don't need an unwrap modfier all the way.

Well the textures show up properly in viewports. But if I assigned a unwrap modifier to it and hit edit, the uv clusters show up below the uv editor window and not inplace as they should.
    But thats easily fixed.

Was wondering if there was a way to grab the original uv's on the model from the channels when the model was textured/made.
    I saw this one tutorial on this page that shows one method but havent tried it yet:
    UVWfromcollapsedstack.wmv
    http://www.louismarcoux.com/MaxTips.htm
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Maybe your not on the the good map channel. You have to hit reset uws each time u switch of a map channel or the new map channel will be overwritten with the previous.
    But, yeah, look at this tutorial, it explains way better than me how to correctly switch between channels and retrieve your uvs