Home Unreal Engine

Emissive Lighting Acting Weird

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Tavor polycounter lvl 8
In the hope this gets solved today I wanted to post this problem I've been having. I'm using emissive lighting on this fluorescent light. This did work at one point, and I'm trying to figure out what happened.

What is happening (lighting is on high quality):
problemlb.jpg

What happened before and what should be happening (paintover):

solutionci.jpg

The prop:

flourescentlight.jpg

This was the first prop in a 2k Material, but, after adding all of the other props in the scene, this setup stopped working (tried reverting to the old setup, didn't help). I'm wondering if its simple setting that I screwed up or something else.

Replies

• haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Did you tell UDK to use the emissive property?
  • Tavor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tavor polycounter lvl 8
    I have "Use Emissive For Static Lighting" checked off in the Lightmass settings in the static mesh actor properties window, but I'm not sure what you mean by emissive property.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That needs to be turned on, along with whatever you want to light up going through the emmisive slot in the material.
  • Tavor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tavor polycounter lvl 8
    Hehe, sorry about that, I do have it checked just mistyped, and, yeah, I have the emissive map plugged into the emissive slot on the material.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Sure it's not a problem with the objects you're projecting the light on instead? Like borked UV2s on the wall/floor making your lightmaps mess up?
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I would do what Bal says and check your 2nd UV set for no overlaps etc.
  • Quillisia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I do not think emissive static lighting supports overlapping UV's. As far as I know, it will only emit light from a given texel once, so only one of your two tubes will be emitting light.

You could try giving them each unique space and see if that fixes the issue. To me it looks like one of the tubes is casting a shadow.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    i actually ran into this recently. i set a lot of my objects in a level to use emissive for static lighting (well around 1 or 200). even when it was as little as 4 objects, the light was being blown out in a lot of places. which udk version are u using (happened to me in november)
  • Tavor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tavor polycounter lvl 8
    @Bal: Thank you. I didn't try manually UVing the BSP blocks, but what I did was give the BSP a higher res lightmap. This led me to discover a weird issue in the BSP, so I rearranged the BSP. Still, up-rezing the lightmaps and rearranging the BSP didn't fix the issue, and, ultimately, I think its an issue with my emissive map or UVs. So, for now, I'm going to use static lights.

@Quillisia: I ran a test with just the tubes and both seemed to be emitting lighting but in almost opposite directions. I might try giving each tube its own unique space, though, so thanks for the suggestion.

@Oniram: I'm using the December Beta build.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do note that BSP acts opposite to what you would do for static meshes to increase lightmaps you actually go down. Mind hosting the files to test? or just pm me a link.