Home Technical Talk

Mudbox: 8bit layers & Photoshop = bad?

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Simon polycounter lvl 8
Hey everyone.

Just a quick foreword, I just want to thank the people on this thread for putting up with my nonsense and helping me with my mudbox problems, It's been a rough beginning but in the end I will be able to have learned quite a bit about mudbox and will be able to take that to my scholarship application. I came here because I was very impressed by the talent I've seen on this forum, I've seen things here that have inspired me when I've felt like giving up and I hope that some of that will rub off on me at some point.

My current issue:

I've noticed that the colours of some of my layers have been damaged as a result of repeated exporting and importing from Photoshop via the 'export channel to psd' tool. I've been using 8 bit TIFF files as some of my layers, could that possibly be the reason for the degradation of colours? perhaps a slightly different colour management system or pallet etc? Should be doing things differently?

I really like this third party app tool which let's me use photoshop, it let's me fix artefacts due to slight misalignment and go and adjust hues and brightness much more effectively, so I think it would be fair to say that it'll be somewhat hard to do without it.

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    interesting issue... could you provide some images...
  • Simon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simon polycounter lvl 8
    Sure, I've attached the image below. See how the discoloured dark parts that stand out? also notice the lack of detail and odd colours here and there. In the past I've just cleaned them up but they get worse with each export/import, and my textures are losing detail. It's currently not at the point where I would consider re texturing since I will be exporting it into doom 3, but I can't keep importing and exporting.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    why you dont fix it in mud..?`i never work with the PS link...
    just use a brush with a spray like stamp and paint that area by hand...
    and use a 16bit layer...
  • Simon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simon polycounter lvl 8
    Photoshop is really handy because you can edit layers separately and with precision and accuracy adjust the brightneses and hues which is really helpful since the profile I'm using to stamp onto my model has turned on the spot in the middle of the day, but some shots are from different angles. What about 32 bit, that should be a safe bet right?
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    if you use the PS link you are allways projecting...
    projecting = quality loss
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    and in mudbox you are not projecting from your screen down to the 3dmodel? isn't it basicly the same, just in real time and with the ability to zoom in and out without any steps?
  • Simon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simon polycounter lvl 8
    Not 100% sure what you guys are saying, but using the photoshop channel exporter was making work on the skin 50% more effective and easy (and even fun) till I realised the pallets were shifting and causing artefacts on all of my layers.

Oglu, when you say projecting, do you mean using a stencil?

Neox, Yes I am projecting photos of a subject from different angles onto my model in mudbox, but like i said, adjustments must be made so that there are no visible transitions of colour and tone which makes photoshop all the more appropriate to use. No it's not the same i beleive, try using it yourself. Mudbox is limited in the way that you can effect a texture map, but taking it into photoshop gives you precise control and different options to work with. I mean why would they add that feature if it didn't work, right? people pay extra money when they're upgrading from existing products when they have new features like this to look forward to.

When I take it into photoshop, I do everything that mudbox either can't do, or things that are just easier to do using photoshop, and I think it's a good idea to incorporate photoshop as much as possible since it is a central product for image manipulation and an essential part of most graphic art related jobs.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yeah im totally with you on that one Simon - in theory, working straight in Mud sounds amazing but in practice I find it nicer to do quite a bit of photoshop "screenshot" work. DeepPaint3D was absolutely awesome at that, even better than Mud. To bad it's a dead program now.

As for your issue, I dont think I had it before but ill try to reproduce it and see what happens.

P
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    Neox wrote: »
    and in mudbox you are not projecting from your screen down to the 3dmodel? isn't it basicly the same, just in real time and with the ability to zoom in and out without any steps?

yes its the same... and its also bad...
    in areas facing away from the camera you will have stretching...
    if you are projecting over and over in such areas the quality of your paint is going down...
    in mari you have a sort of fresnel masking against...

thats the problem with projecting... therefore im fixing most stuff with hand paint work...
  • Simon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simon polycounter lvl 8
    Oglu, I STILL don't think we're on the same level here... that's not the problem I'm having, I have not encountered any problems with projection, in fact please forget that, the problem here is that when I click the 'export channel to psd' button, make some changes in photoshop then press the 're-import' button, I notice that there are artefacts left behind where the pallet seems to have shifted leaving discolouration and dull tones.

Just so you know exactly what I'm talking about, here is a process; you press that channel export button and all of the paint layers from your object are exported to an external image editor, in this case photoshop. You use photoshop's exclusively diverse and useful set of tools to make corrections and adjustments, then you re-import the changes made by photoshop into Mudbox.
    Very useful, trust me - that is if I can get it to stop doing what it does to the pallet when it imports into photoshop, or figure out what format to begin with.

So the problem is in the process of exporting to photoshop which i'd like to try and solve.

The bottom line is this, whether or not you like this feature I do, so if can, please include some advice for how to overcome this pallet problem.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    ok i see... but if you are saving the file in PS... its a PS problem... i dont think mudbox is doing anything with the file if you import them...

maybe try in PS... edit --> color settings
    and turn all off in color management
  • Tmotion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I face this problem, too. The problem that when you export to photoshop your paint layer converts to 8-bit image and when you import it back to mudbox layer became 8 bit. Mudbox help describe it and suggest to use 16 bit layers but it does not cover photoshop export problem.
    I was trying to find any plugin that will cause mudbox to export to photoshop with 16 bit but have no luck yet.\

What I think - you can export texture layers in separate files via FBX combine those in photoshop and work with layers with 16 bit and them import it back to mudbox. It is not same convenient and simple export but then you can be free of artefacts.

Maybe somebody knows better solution. I'll be happy to know.