Home General Discussion

Razer Switchblade. portable PC gaming

Replies

• Purplepaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Purplepaint polycounter lvl 8
    Pretty cool, except with my luck with razer products, it will blow up the first week.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    rofl that Asian guy was ridiculous.

keyboard looks pretty neat as a tech demo thing or something to show off to your friends. but honestly how often do you ever look at your keys? i mean people who would possibly buy this are already gamers and know how to play the games they like and wont need to look at the keyboard to see the pretty icons.

it actually might make gaming harder if it remaps every game differently and you cant find your WASD keys without looking at the keyboard.

also how dose this solve the keyboard and mouse problem for laptop users? i still see the mouse issue with this. the keyboard has never been a problem IMO. they seemed to have mentioned a touch screen for a second and never again but really? a touch screen on something that small where the keyboard is already right up again the screen? your hand would be completely in the way of everything whether its trying to view the game or trying to type on the keyboard.
  • binopittan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon i think you missed the point. The idea is how to play DOTA without a mouse ;P , i'll stare to my KB all the time if i'm going to play Dota like this.
    500x_razer_switchblade.jpg
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    The lack of keys seems worrisome to me, but it all depends on how the driver works with the game. For example...let's say your playing WoW...and you go from pushing buttons on the keyboard to cast spells to the chat bar. Will the driver know that you mad the switch automatically and switch the spell keys to characters, or will you have to manually press the "next keys" button until you get to text? That's the dealbreaker.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 15
    Autocon wrote: »
    rofl that Asian guy was ridiculous.

Agreed,

"and quite frankly, the results are just phenomenal."

lol.

Couple things to wonder about this product.. gfx capabilities, battery life, and screen resolution?
  • Arcanox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Battery life: 5 seconds, however it will be the most revolutionary 5 seconds of your gaming existence!
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    They mention in the beginning "the mouse and keyboard experience integral to the PC" (or something like that). So, suppose they solved the keyboard thing - what the hell about the mouse, then?
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    actually after calming down from the initial shock of the sales pitch from "Asian guy"

It really is just a powerful netbook with flashy keys and a touch screen. Which is pretty cool and it might even get a few WOW players to leave the house for a bit. Even though they wont be looking at any of the "un-virtual world".

but...

I'll not be buying anything like this until they release a tablet (with good wacom grade pressure sensitivity) that runs ZB and PS.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    Meh, seems useless to me. Do people really play games thaaat much, or is it just like having jewelry?
  • binopittan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    At risk sounding like a fanboy, here is my initial thought.

I dont really understand which part of this product that "only" a flashy netbook, Imagine play mouse-dependant games like WoW and Dota without the need of a desk and a mouse. technically you can even play Dota while taking a shit! or while laying down an a bed.
    Can your netbook/$2000 supercomputer do that? Different product different purpose.

And yes, i think people do really (want) to play games that much (not to mention it's WoW involved)
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    binopittan wrote: »
    Imagine play mouse-dependant games like WoW and Dota without the need of a desk and a mouse.

ah..but if you notice in the video. They show Quake but they include a mouse beside it. Showing that FPS's still require a mouse. I think it'll be a long time before that problem is overcome for hardcore PC gamers. And no...and analog joypad or pressure sensitive keys doesn't cut it for FPS imo.

but yeah. It should work well for WOW, etc.

Actually. the touch screen would be good for Diablo 3...hmmmm
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ... not even their mousepads function properly.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    Isn't the new PSP phone thing solving the mouse/joystick problem? Not sure about this one but they have weird gel touch pads?
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    so basicly its a way to play low end games in an awkward way on an expensive lightup keyboard
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    my 701 eee did that 3 years ago,
    the handheld producers still didnt find out that key remapping also works the other way around
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    Was this designed for PC Games or just Blizzard Games?

"Take World of Warcraft for example..." you mean your only example.

Actually to me it isn't even designed for WoW, but then I haven't played it in years.. my skills were mapped to keys sure, but for everything else I don't want to have to scroll through keyboard layouts looking away from the screen during battle for skills I don't need as often.. but at the time of looking, need ASAP.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    shame it's not a real netbook though :( I really loved the original Dell Mini 9" because it was so damn small, but it was way underpowered. Now this thing is sweet, but there's sooooo many other uses for a super small machine like that. shame
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    binopittan wrote: »
    Autocon i think you missed the point. The idea is how to play DOTA without a mouse ;P , i'll stare to my KB all the time if i'm going to play Dota like this.
    500x_razer_switchblade.jpg

League of legends.*

You can play any game on this and it is epic that they finally got a portable laptop that is actually made for gaming. I have it on my to buy list. :D

And as per reviews, since the OS is windows you can run any software on it?
  • Gusti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    or you could buy one of those new Samsung slates they showed at //build/ have the option to use a usb/bluetooth keyboard and mouse with it, have touch, a stylus and a vastly more powerfull onboard computer to play with that you could not only play games on, but also do work on the go.

This just seems like a glorified gameboy to me tbh.. Its got the "oooooh shiney!" value, but no substance.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    But the price...