Home Technical Talk

Cars, keeping a clean mesh?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
Recently bought GTAIV for the PC (ive had it for the xbox) and have become sort of motivated to model some cars, but my first few attempts failed because of little mesh errors in shading because of my topology and little bumps in the mesh.

I downloaded some mod tools to view the models of some of gta's cars to see some topology, and its amazing how neat it looks. It almost is like these cars are generated.

Heres a picture of a comet:
comet.png

Youll notice how smooth it is, but the more polygons i add to my mesh, the more bumpy it can get. I was thinking that its possible that they model their cars low poly and then turbosmooth once, but that doesnt seem right because their cars don't use normal maps, and theyre about 13k polys.

Could anyone help me out if you have experience with this? All tutorials i see for cars are usually high poly.

Replies

• sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    there's no reason why you can't use mesh smooth to achieve that look. I'd suggest applying one with "preserve smoothing groups" turned on.

mesh smooth isn't limited to being used with normalmaps.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    I think the workflow for most mid poly cars is to not use sub-d since there aren't that many more loops than you would use for a sub-d control mesh. David Finlay has a wip thread here you should look at:
    http://www.game-artist.net/forums/work-progress/10894-2009-bmw-x6-m-series.html

also cg-cars.com is a really good place for car modeling help.

As far as just keeping a mesh clean goes its mostly just being really careful with your verts. Some times if I have a really messy loop I will delete it start over on getting the verts into place.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt wrote: »
    there's no reason why you can't use mesh smooth to achieve that look. I'd suggest applying one with "preserve smoothing groups" turned on.

mesh smooth isn't limited to being used with normalmaps.
    Wouldnt i have to add supporting edges?
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    AlecMoody wrote: »
    I think the workflow for most mid poly cars is to not use sub-d since there aren't that many more loops than you would use for a sub-d control mesh.
    frell wrote: »
    Wouldnt i have to add supporting edges?

No. If you turn on "separate by smooth group" in the turbo smooth modifier it only smooths across the same smooth group. You make hard edges by applying different smoothing groups. Because of this it doesn't bunch the polygons together to create these hard edges.

here's a quick example I made showing what I mean
    5324659689_12b17cd4f5.jpg
    smoothgroups_meshsmooth by sprunghunt, on Flickr
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh my god thank you that looks so helpful i love you thank you.

Thanks man, will try again!
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    With sprungs method, how would you do edge to smooth? (middle of the hood)

Like this:
    corp_0603_07_z+1995_chevrolet_corvette_zr1_night_rider+black_exterior_front_view.jpg
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    The issue with using sprungs method there is that isn't a hard crease, its a tight curve.
    So normal sub D modeling techniques should be a better bet.

Or just not use polygons to start. Use patches instead, and convert to polys.
  • JostVice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JostVice polycounter lvl 12
    I'm interested in what method to use to model cars. After modelling cars for GTA, i've been learning how more or less to do it 'good' (I'm no pro - still lots to learn) and my tech is to place the vertexes very carefully, I usually extrude edges then connect to add segments, so doing this carefully to get the correct curve, with a good shader to see if it is bumpy.

I'm not confortable with SubD for modelling this, and would like to see any other technique :)

I wonder, as IV cars have 3 LOD models, if these were used for modelling. The first lod level, that appears after a few meters, could be the 'base' for subD or any other tesselation technique. I haven't checked the LOD levels so don't know if this sound stupid.

Also, take in mind, for IV, as the damage is done displacing vertexes, the topology has to be consistent :P
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    patches?

Also, couldnt you use sprungs method but manual smoothing by chamfering hard creases?
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    I am not a car modeler by any means.

But i think my take would be model it in "normal" subd's with control edges, and then collapse the modifier stack(freeze the mesh) and then start optimizing the mesh by deleting edge loops.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    With sprungs method, how would you do edge to smooth? (middle of the hood)

I would probably do as others suggested and combine meshsmooth with some strategic chamfering after the fact.

Something to note is that you don't have to use the meshsmooth modifier. You can smooth faces at the polygon level using the "mSmooth" button under the "edit Geometry" rollout in edit poly.
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    No. If you turn on "separate by smooth group" in the turbo smooth modifier it only smooths across the same smooth group. You make hard edges by applying different smoothing groups. Because of this it doesn't bunch the polygons together to create these hard edges.

Wow, I didn't know that was possible. I've just been adding lots of supporting loops resulting in scruffy bits in places. Ta :thumbup:
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would probably do as others suggested and combine meshsmooth with some strategic chamfering after the fact.

Something to note is that you don't have to use the meshsmooth modifier. You can smooth faces at the polygon level using the "mSmooth" button under the "edit Geometry" rollout in edit poly.
    So basically you select a group of faces to smooth all together? Just a different approach to methsmooth?

Can someone also explain patches, im guessing it has to do with modeling with splines, and is that a good way to model cars?
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    So basically you select a group of faces to smooth all together? Just a different approach to methsmooth?

Can someone also explain patches, im guessing it has to do with modeling with splines, and is that a good way to model cars?

Yes - I'd use the face smooth function if I was making something and I wanted part of it to be rounder. For example if I was making a chair and wanted to add a cushion.

By patches they probably mean using bezier patches or nurbs. It's not better than polygons in my opinion. But that depends on what you're used to. Nurbs can be a huge pain.

Either way you'll still end up having to polygon edit your final mesh as patches rarely produce an optimised result.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im fine with going through after the msmooth and refining the topology. Ill give this technique a try this weekend.
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    The easiest way i've found to make cars is basically what everyone else is saying, using highpoly modelling then optimising the result. I avoid doing it all in sub-d and optimising though as that takes forever, i drop it to editable poly pretty early on. I used this method to make an aston martin a while back, the thread is here if you want to see pics of the results: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73620

I generally make the shell of the car with turbosmooth, just like a regular highpoly mesh, getting the form as close as possible to the refs but ignoring any non-formbearing cuts and holes (any seams- doors etc, wells for lights, grill hole and etc). Then i collapse it to poly and optimise the crap out of it, manually removing edgeloops that aren't contributing to the silhouette or are unecessary for whatever reason. Once that's done, all the holes that were ignored can be manually cut into the mesh. If the mesh was the right shape to begin with they sit perfectly where they need to go, but odds are they'll need tweaking. I generally ignore the established topology at this point as it's not important anymore, but always be wary of making poles. The rest is finished off with traditional techniques.

The key is basically using turbosmooth to make that nice smooth and sexy look, and trying not to alter the shape after that.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This has been a helpful thread for me, thanks everyone.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok guys you have helped me a bunch, i finally finished a nice sleek car shell at about 1.2k polys... it should be more but im assuming that will come with the interior and other stuff

Ive split up the entire carshell into pieces (door, hood, etc). But.... how do i get the nice beveled edge between the pieces like in real life?
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Chamfer the edge as opposed to using smoothing groups. If you have a single chamfer the vert count ingame is the same as an edge defined by a smoothing group so it's no more expensive. I usually add a small inset support edge to the chamfer as well though, to help the reflections play nice without normalmaps to help them.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What? Sounds like you're still taking about the smoothing. Im talking about where two pieces of the car meet and create that bevel indent (in gta they bevel it in like \/, in real life theyre actually separated a distance)

I didn't make a porche, i actually made a MB SL but heres what i mean(lines where the door opens etc):
    porsche_parts.01.JPG

Sorta found a solution. I had to reweld all the pieces of the car so it was solid again, select the seams and chamfer and then extrude inward a tiny bit.