Home Technical Talk

Mudbox: projection texturing + low poly base model = bad idea..?

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Simon polycounter lvl 8
Hello.

This time I've decided to try texture projection in an attempt to get this project over and done with faster and more efficiently, but might have just wasted my time..

This is what the model looks like in a high subdivision:
(see attached image1)

So.. not too bad and I've got a fair bit of work to do, but it looks alright.

Here it is as the base model that is to be used in game:
(See attached image 2)

...VERY dodgy! So this time it's pretty obvious that I've made a mistake, I have 0 experience with this sort of thing and I figured it'd just 'work'.

I know this is a long short, but is there possibly some software that un-garbles this mess? or do I need another plan.

Either way this feels like a doomed project since it seems aligning the textures with the normal map bumps and contours is going to be havoc...
What can I do to save my project from becoming crap?

Replies

• oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    everthing like expected... good thing needs time...
    your low looks realy low... i wouldnt paint the highres, to much stretching...
    paint the lowres... there is a lot of handwork and fixing to do...
    projection is not a magic one button solution...

keep on working...
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    The process is as follows :

- Make a highooly (you have it).
    - UV it if you need to create a diffuse texture using projection paint (you are doing this).
    - Make a lowpoly ingame mesh (from what I understand you are using your level0 for that. It's not ideal, but in some cases it can work)
    - Make UVs for it (obviously, you have that already too).
    - Bake your normals from high to low (you know about that already)

- Then ... bake your diffuse from high to low!

That's all there is to it. Don't try to step down subdivision levels in order to obtain your "textured lowpoly" - it will just not work, since obvously you shifted stuff around by sculpting on the subdivided mesh! Also different apps treat subdivided UVs differently so it's safer to not bet on that kind of process.

Good luck! It's easy, it's just a matter of taking the time to understand the purpose of each step.
  • Simon
    Offline / Send Message
    Simon polycounter lvl 8
    @DKK yeah I guess I should aye, I'm just worried that the work I've done aligning the shape of the high resolution hair with the strands of hair of the existing texture to bring them out will be lost.

I'll stop now, it seemed more hopeless before some people posted and told me it was easy it probably is.. =D