Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Depression Era Carnival Trailer

AlecMoody
ngon master
Offline / Send Message
AlecMoody ngon master
I put this together as a portfolio project for when I overhall my website this march. The goal of this model/texture was to get some wood surfaces into my portfolio and to mess with mixing bright colors and dirt.

All the images are max viewport grabs with the 3 point shader and the final model is just under 10k.

Feedback me

carni_1.jpg

carni_2.jpg

carni_3.jpg

carni_4.jpg

carni_5.jpg

carni_baked.jpg

Replies

• polygoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polygoo polycounter lvl 17
    Loving this, only thing it might benefit from is some some more chipping in the paint, that might help break up the red a tad more, and help sell it as painted old wood. Maybe more so near the door and more used areas.

Really liking the dirt. Nice job

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1342/1353098183_b1e74a73d1.jpg?v=0

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ZZoD11F97_4/TPZRODtPPxI/AAAAAAAAAWQ/1lpzVNqHlL8/s400/shelf4.jpg
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, needs more chipped off paint and stuff. Also, I think the spec might be a tad strong on the floor of the entry.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Yeah i'm going to try out some more paint chipping. Hopefully I can implement chips on the main panels without becoming overly noisy. Either way im going to put more chips on the blue supporting beams.

I'm also going to try and work on the text on the front. It looks a little too much like a font right now. Also, If you look carefully you can see an old version of the text I left faintly in the spec map, I think its a good detail.
  • mrturtlepaste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey looks like a really nice prop. One thing - the window on the right seems to have the curtain going over the middle bar of the frame.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    I think your font could be more circus themed... they had those elaborated and in perspective... different sizes... As far as the rest, i like it. Good job man!C-31.jpg
  • Acumen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Acumen polycounter lvl 18
    What a lovely texture you got going on this sweet trailer ! I really like the different color values you got going on the red side of things, which makes it really interesting to look at - what could potentially be a totally boring repetetive plane. Great job on that !

What kinda caught me off-guard was the line where you say that it "was just under 10k".
    I'm all for putting as much "modeled-out detail" in a scene as possbile - believe me ^^ but I don't know if you invested the polygons in the right places.
    I don't know if it's really neccessary to have 7-8 subdivisions in one row of the wheels while the door entrance planks are one solid box and the small bar holding the window just floats on there, with no visible ("eject") mechanism.

I mean clearly you put a lot of attention and love to the underlying parts which shows a great sense for technical detail, yet it won't be the most visible part of the vehicle but has - from what I can tell from the wireframe - the most polygons of it all.
    I kinda expected more visible detail in the upper area as well. Some visible cracks in the woods or some similar stuff maybe.
    It's safe to say that it's just nitpicking and in the end you could easily shave off a ton of polygons, if you wanted to !

So, great addition to your portfolio. I'll be sure to bookmark it :)
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Thanks for the feedback. For an an asset that isn't going into an actual game I would rather not limit myself with geometry or texture res. Since it is a 1 smooth group max bake it would be totally broken in any environment other than max with 3 point's shader
  • Delerium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice, why not add some colorful lights ?
    kulorta10m.jpg
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    The overall quality of this blows me away, love how clean your normals are.
  • Snader
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    Great work man, loving the textures so far and yea maybe a bit excessive on the lower half with the detail but I love it still.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    AlecMoody wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback. For an an asset that isn't going into an actual game I would rather not limit myself with geometry or texture res. Since it is a 1 smooth group max bake it would be totally broken in any environment other than max with 3 point's shader

Not anymore, in 2011 with the latest Hotfix mine works the same. But yeah as for game-engines you're right.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Yeah I forgot about that. I'm still on 2010 though so I haven't tested it yet.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    I integrated most of that feedback and unless anyone has any really good ideas I'm going to call this finished.

side_1.jpg
    side_2.jpg
    side_3.jpg
    side_4.jpg
    bottom.jpg
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Great! this turned out really nice man. Love the detail, and the font really helps. Good job!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
  • StefanH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StefanH polycounter lvl 12
    looks great. I am especially digging the texturing around the stairs.
  • islipaway
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    islipaway polycounter lvl 10
    Technically I have nothing bad to say, awesome model. I thought it looked great before you even pushed the paint chipping, but it really made it pop.

One thing that irks me is the underside, it's a shame when you went to the trouble of modelling it that it appears it wouldn't work. At least the Leaf Spring suspension is odd, like it's floating. The axle needs to be attached, or at least restrained from horizontal movement on both planes with the allowance for vertical movement to the underside of the trailer. The leaves closest to the trailer need to be attached also. There doesn't seem to be any strain on them from the weight of the trailer either.

782324459_1b1978a742.jpg?v=0
    leaf%20spring.jpg
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    I think the image is just very dark and not showing it correctly. Let me know if its still wrong looking.
    In retrospect I probably should have made the attachment between the leaf spring bar and that main chassis bit running down the center more beefy. It does look a little unbelievable mechanically with just a cylinder intersecting a flat surface.
  • islipaway
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did a quick paintover to illustrate what I mean. Alternatively to being the the centre perhaps the part to restrain the movement could be over each spring.

undersideover.jpg

It seems to be pretty hard to find a decent reference for this kinda thing at that particular time, I don't suspect my alterations would be period correct but it would function without falling apart. Also they would probably be a lot more leaves and they would need to be held together somewhere, either in the centre as in the red reference or like in the green reference towards the end.
  • polygoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polygoo polycounter lvl 17
    looks awesome alec
  • Colt Seavers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great jo sofar, nice details and like the grungy, withered look of the textures. Makes it more beleivable this model really has been used.

Colt:poly121:
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    islipaway wrote: »
    Did a quick paintover to illustrate what I mean. Alternatively to being the the centre perhaps the part to restrain the movement could be over each spring.

It seems to be pretty hard to find a decent reference for this kinda thing at that particular time, I don't suspect my alterations would be period correct but it would function without falling apart. Also they would probably be a lot more leaves and they would need to be held together somewhere, either in the centre as in the red reference or like in the green reference towards the end.

I see what you are saying now. There should be a U bracket to restrict movement along the axis the trailer is dragged along. I'm inclined to not bother adding it since its dark under there but this will probably nag at me enough to eventually fix it.

Edit:
    Thanks Alan.
  • islipaway
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aye it only got my attention as I have been looking at hot rods for a model and trying to work out how it all functions, probably wouldn't be a real issue unless you where going to have the trailer lying on it's side at any point.

98fb9ec4.jpg
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks cool.

Maybe add some slight bowing to the wooden frame...with this being as old and worn as it is it surely wouldn't be so perfectly straight. You do it a little bit on the stairs, but everything else is too right angled.

I really the spots where the paint is worn/chipped off and the wood is exposed. That looks awesome.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    looks stunning with the paint chips, i'm glad you added them after all. great work, pal!