Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mumm-Ra!

Hi guys. This is a character I've been working on for my portfolio. My buddy Rayph keeps bugging me to post, so here it is! It's roughly based on a concept of Mumm-Ra by the awesome J.P. Targete. Sculpted and polypainted in Zbrush and modeled out and projected the real time in 3ds Max. The real time falls at about 8700 tris and 1x 2048 texture (diffuse, normal, spec, gloss, glow). Thanks for looking!

(higher res images and wireframe / texture images on my blogspot and cghub site)

Turntables here also:
http://vimeo.com/aenonimous

Real time model and render from the 3ds max viewport

683_large.jpg

High-res in Zbrush

635_large.jpg

Hi-res and polypaint in Zbrush

405_large.jpg

Replies

• Rayph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rayph polycounter lvl 13
    This is awesome man! Good work, cant wait to see more :)
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    looks really great ! bigger pictures please!
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Yess! Bigger pictar, too. The stuff going on around his torso is quite enjoyable.
    Wish it had a little more mumm-ra to it though. Like a little bandaging, or some blue in his attire.

Mumms the word.
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome work man, very nice level of detail and overall proportions! I used to watch the cartoon when I was a kid, so its really cool to see you did a great job on this character!
    small nitpick though, there is something bugging me with the green background, maybe its high saturation/small blur not sure. Great job again!
  • aenonimous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rayph, bounchfx, Xenobond, maze - Thanks! Appreciate it!

Xenobond - I had planned to have some flying bandages floating around his body, but the thought of making coiling bandaids in real time scared me off heh. I should pose him and do this at least in the high-res maybe.

Here are some higher-res shots:

MummRa_rtF_02.jpg

02_RenderComp.jpg
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    This is awesome! Although, it does seem like there should be some sort of cloth wrappings around his neck and or arms. Even just a few pieces.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Pretty sick dude. I like it.

Only comment I'd have is that his skin doesn't quite have a fleshy feel to it. Since you're saying this is from the 3dsmax viewport, I'm assuming you're using Xoliul's shader? If so, maybe try a slight red/orange ambient.

Also, if you wanna go through the trouble, in Unreal you can use a transmission material which can give a nice result for flesh. The added bonus of using Unreal is that you can take a screenshot that's larger than your resolution. So you can make a real big shot and scale it down in photoshop to get a nice AA look to it.
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    The clunky low polyness of the shoulders is kinda killing it for me. drop a few more edges in there and round it off. No reason to hurt your piece by poly restrictions when its just a folio piece.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    very nice work!

- BoBo
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    Hey dude- glad you decided to post. Polycount's a pretty great place for feedback.

I'll agree with the shoulders being kind of choppy, also- I'd like to see how it looks in something like marmoset, you should try that out. :)
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MOST AWESOME THING EVER. You have blown my mind.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    brb getting a new pair of boxers
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Only two crits. The shoulders, which were already mentioned, and the wing membranes which have quite some wasted texture space. I'm thinking this would be a cheap, simple fix:
    wingoptimization.png
    Saves a whopping 24 polygons too! ;)

You might also want to check your alphamaps, or the engine - the transparency is acting up.
  • aenonimous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz, achillesian - thanks!

Bigjohn - For this guy i tried out a new viewport shader I came across called "3-pont shader". I'll have to try getting it into Unreal also and see what I can come up with. thanks for the suggestion and crit!

stimpack, OrganizedChaos - I definitely agree on the shoulders. I need to get into a habit of adding more polys to personal work. Production work has made me too timid with poly budgets heh.

Bobo_the_seal - thanks! I love your work (when I can find new stuff!! - get posting!)

frell - haha!

Snader - good idea on the wings. For transparency - I couldn't get the 3ds max viewport to show clean alphas. They seem to be interfering with the background. I need to look more into this.