Home General Discussion

Final Fantasy XIV yey or ney?

The beta is now pretty much open for all, and this game will be released late september.

I'm personally indifferent, it looks fun but I think I was one of the few anyway who enjoyed FFXI.

anyway! What are your thoughts on the game?

Replies

• Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    Nay.

I've only played on a PC with keyboard and mouse.

UI and software mouse are horrible on PC. can't bind any of the character, ability, quest journal or anything to a key so you have to use the laggy mouse to click in the lower right corner or hit the Home key to open your menu then click through. The code for a hardware mouse is in the game and there is a fan made patch to enable it which makes navigating the UI a lot easier.
    You can't scroll the map unless you have a right analogue stick.
    I've only really played two of the three starting areas but they are rather barren of enemies. The questing area outside the seaside city is populated by wharf rats which are like level 1-2 and puks and dodos which are like level 10 and will 1-2 shot your character if you attack them.
    Melee combat is ok but spell casting requires more clicks than needed.
    Tab targeting doesn't differentiate between enemies, other players, npcs, or yourself.
    The tutorial needs a lot of work.
    It is a console mmo meant to be played with a controller with little to no effort made to adapt it to the PC market.

The game is very pretty though.

So basically very pretty but not very user friendly.
  • BlackulaDZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll basically agree with everything Asherr said. But this is a beta so I'm going to assume they didn't include a lot of stuff, because the only things there are to do ingame at the moment are guild leves, grind, and crafting. did I mention navigating menus is TERRIBLE?
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    I agree with Asherr. Very pretty game, the in-game cutscenes are excellent and very welcome in a MMO setting.

UI is sub-par on the PC.
    Menus and Actions rely heavily on server response so the entire game feels unresponsive due to latency.
    Many odd gameplay design decisions. Maybe these mechanics are standard fare in Japanese MMOs, but american players aren't going to respond well.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 15
    I also concur with all that Asherr has mentioned.

The menus are pretty impossible to navigate through, but you can do it all without a mouse. I've been playing the beta for maybe a week now and I've pretty much stopped using the mouse completely.

Tabbing or selecting enemies is next to impossible. There's no cut off distance for selections.. So basically if your using tab to select the enemy you likely select a couple on the other side of the area your in. Mouse is no easier to select with due to its lag.

On a different note, the environments are really well done. Everything for the most part is 'believable.' All the models and textures are really nice as well.

I'm still a little skeptical about buying it however. We'll see.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    was in the beta and I would vote nay. Granted it was the beta but the poor gameplay and awful UI caused me to cancel my Collectors Edition preorder after playing for three weeks.I really enjoyed 11 and I've played a number of MMOs but they strive so hard to be different that they also threw out everything that works with most games.
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I play it with my ps3 clone wired controler and have no issues with the game at all. You can bind your stuff in the config outside the game too btw in the start menu. The game has no hardware support for the mouse yet so thats the reason for the lag but a programer that plays the beta made a patch that adds it if you want. I recomend the controller for this game though its pretty much the best pro tip I can offer you. Dpad targeting ftw and square for menu :).
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    i switched to using a controller and it helps. The game isn't fun though and they need to fix quite a bit. combat is a pain, lag kills me, finding something to fight takes forever. I don't really like grinding but I don't like being forced into playing so much per day via quest. I'll wait to try this again in 6 months. :)
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Unless they are going about things drastically different (and they may be) this is your free trial before the game launches. Open beta is not really a beta test, it's what's referred to as a "soft launch", there may be some back end testing on server load but don't expect them to redo their UI or add a bunch of content.
  • sebas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sebas polycounter lvl 14
    I remember trying the demo of FFXI for Pc just to see closely the awesomeness of the art throught this viewer:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56985
    And I think it's the only reason I would try the beta or demo of FFXIV... inspect the great art via some viewer.
    ... I'm not a fan of monthly fees, that was my truely let down... never played WoW because of that (and the outdated graphics).

Well, hoping Square Enix take your feedback from you guys playing the beta and that they change what it seems a 'Ney'.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    UI is awful. They need to let us bind more keys. But...once I figured out how everything worked (took a while) I started really really enjoying it. I'm in Limsa Lominsa and the main quest is pretty interesting and I was having fun doing that, and once I started getting into groups I was remembering why I loved FFXI so much, was the people and experiences with them
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    I'll give it a go. Found that FFXI was good, but it's pretty hardcore & didn't/still doesn't have a nice learning curve (lots of things to learn). Still, the audio/visuals were enough to get me to drag my wife along to play too.

As it's open beta now, it's less about getting gameplay feedback and more about them getting free network stress test & any major bugs out of the way so their launch is newsworthy.
  • master-mune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    See I hadn't had time to get the beta so i was a bit skeptical, thanks so much to the beta users for letting me know!

@asherr - it sounds like they just didn't bother to implement the beta well with the keyboard/mouse which is very strange for a beta starting on pc. Pretty isn't going to make me buy a game anymore (see FF13) even if it is an mmo.

brandoom - see that's my issue right now too. I'm not sure if I should get it or not, I mean, will they really have enough time to 'add' everything in whe the game is released? Beta's usually don't fall too far from the tree, see StarCraft2. If anything Beta's get a bit improvement and bugs fixed and that's it.

What i find strange is they seem to have a lot of problems with Beta already, keyboard/mouse issues and just not having a whole lot in the game yet, but this game is due out near the end of september. :S

Here's to hoping they fix the problems and it runs well when it's released. I may be cancelling my preorder too, and just waiting for some people to play it for a couple weeks before I get this one.
  • venain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    venain polycounter lvl 12
    sub-par is an understatement when talking about the UI. It's downright terrible. It feels so dated that it's almost unbelievable to me. What sucks is I really like the class system, the cut scenes, the crafting system. If you can get over the terrible terrible UI and the insane lag (could be beta, i've heard the UI is stored server side which would explain why it takes 30 seconds to bring up the crafting UI) and actually play the game, it has a lot going for it.

Personally i'm going to wait till after release, see how much they've fixed (if anything) and then make my decision.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    judging from the comments in this thread this seems to be like many of squaresoft's recent efforts (ff13, namely) in that it's gorgeous but not terribly good.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Looks great in game but I personally uninstalled it within 2 hours of playing. Just wasn't what I was looking for. Game was extremely glitchy with mouse and keyboard... and it's a pc game.... Combat was ok.. but don't even think about being a caster.. everyone I talked to in game and even my buddy sitting next to me in my party couldn't cast anything as a caster.. every now and then a spell would cast but it was basically random when it would work. They kept getting unable to use that spell messages. Also.. the fact that you have to change from combat to normal mode in order to regen hp is really really frustrating as the animation is annoyingly long and locks you from moving.

Oh.. and there is absolutely nothing to do quest wise. Maybe I missed something but I only found 1 or 2 quests for the whole 2 hours I was playing... I played Aion and I did the 40-50 grind which was a nightmare grind fest with no quests but... I seriously couldnt find anything to do in FFXIV. Maybe it was just me though. :\
  • Yokai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yokai polycounter lvl 11
    HonkyPunch wrote: »
    judging from the comments in this thread this seems to be like many of squaresoft's recent efforts (ff13, namely) in that it's gorgeous but not terribly good.

When comparing FFXIII to FFXIV, FFXIII is way better. At least with FFXIII, menus weren't laggy and aspects of the game were explained in some sort of tutorial fashion. Seriously, XIV seems to be marketing itself to the niche market that is FFXI players, which I think is totally the wrong direction. They took some nice elements from WoW, but there could be way more. (Drag and dropping icons, marker for quest start and end points, etc etc.) Not to mention the 48 hour cool-down on doing quests (which you can only have 8 of in your "journal") is a complete sham, probably just there to prevent players from leveling up too quickly.

I like the concept of the crafting system with the "mini-game style" sequences, however the game doesn't TELL you how it works, and results seem more or less random. There's also absolutely no way to tell whether you are doing it right or not until you fail. Not to mention that when you fail a quest, you can't repeat it!

Everyone is saying the environment art is "good", but I think there's far more that could have been done. There's absolutely no use of landmarks, making navigation a tedious task of constantly opening and closing your map! There's awful LOD usage, with an obvious seam in the distance that's more or less distracting and slightly ugly. Many rocks on pathways are painted on the diffuse, which looks *ok* but they tried to make the rocks look bigger than they should, so you get this normal map that is trying to make something look like it has more depth than it really should!

The level design itself seems sub-par sometimes as well, the cities aren't separated into clear "districts" and there are many pathways and roads that are needlessly longer than they should be, which is just frustrating.

Player models and the gear / textures are amazing. Unfortunately, there's not much in that category that is really "new", players who played XI will be already familiar with the races and many of the pieces of the gear look and feel similar to the original series. I was hoping they may have gone a more sci-fi style, or at least something that makes the game feel and look different, unfortunately it feels like more of the same. Having said that, there's no doubt in anyone's mind when it comes to how gorgeous some of the models are in this game.

I honestly think it's a shame because there are some ideas about FFXI that I enjoyed. The concept of mostly team play instead of solo for an MMO was an interesting one, and I think they could have vastly improved upon that system if they had only done more research. Things like cross-server partying systems like the one in WoW would have been a godsend in FFXI, and would have been amazing to see if XIV, but unfortunately I doubt they spent any hours researching this. There are even some cool ideas in FFXIV, like the fact you can equip gear at any level and it scales down to whatever level your class is. I think that's really really awesome! Again, giving the crafting / gathering a fun minigame aspect is also really enjoyable. Unfortunately, there's too much crap you have to cut through in order to do anything because of the UI being unintuitive.

To be honest, I can understand why Japan is kind of behind the times when it comes to MMOs. WoW isn't even available in Japan, so the japanese market doesn't really get what many other nationalities would consider standard MMO features. I remember talking to one of my Japanese friends in my "linkshell" (guild) during a brief return to FFXI, asking if they had tried WoW, and the funny thing is that many players have tried it and many even said it was interesting and they wanted to play more, but it just wasn't possible to play it in another language. I just don't think there was enough research put into this game, the game really feels rushed and lacks content (which is a similar complaint I had with FFXIII), and even if it wasn't rushed, it just feels like it is!

That ends my rant. Though I do like how they added Windows IME support now... Too bad I am going to have to pass this game up.

Oh, as for UI lag and mouse lag problems, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. Often times upon a servers initial start up phase, the mouse would function fine and the UI lag would be minimal, however it seems as more connect the laggier those aspects get. So maybe this will be something that just needs to be tested with this open beta, but they really probably could have figured that out during closed beta if they had just sent out more invites.
  • Drumonman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been playing this lately with snowman, it's not terrible I'll agree there are issues with the controls and UI but using a controller the only real issues I was having was with the battle regimen thing. We got it to work once, and it put some negative status on the enemy we were fighting (Trauma) but for the life of me I have no idea what that does, I figured it was a DoT or maybe some way to weaken them. Every other time we'd try after that, I'd get a message saying 2 people were trying to trigger it at the same time, meanwhile he wasn't even touching the button.

(If anyone is wondering, Battle Regimen seems to be a way for you and your party to queue up one attack each, then execute it in a chain, end result being some sort of negative status effect on the enemy. With us I led with Spirit Dart (Conjurer) and he dropped some Light Attack (Marauder))

My main beef right now is I'm kind of lost. Some people have talked about the main quest, but all I've done is the intro fight at the castle, then move on to the next camp, do a levequest, then I can't find anymore levequests.

Yesterday we roamed around looking for some stuff to kill that was still conning blue or green to us, but gave more xp than the starting area marmots. We found a Dodo, that was conning blue to us, and it hit like a truck, we're talkin almost 3 shotting snowman, 1 shotting me.

I learned last night I gained an ability called stoneskin, which absorbs damage. It helped a lot with snowman as he was far easier to heal, and helped me too as I was getting healing aggro, which brings me to another frustration...

Snowman attacked 1 enemy, but 2 we're aggroed on him. He was doing decent damage to his target, and I healed him. BOTH mobs jumped on me, I can understand the 2nd mob coming to me (healing aggro) but that's pretty lame that he seemed to have generated almost no aggro from his attacks alone. I was reading on some forums too, another party had a similar incident but they were actually using a gladiator + taunt abilities. I don't get it.

Dispite the frustration I'm enjoying it. I most likely wont buy it if they keep the "8 hours a week then you get no more xp" limit, that's just a stupid idea for a game you expect people to play monthly for.

EDIT: The lag is brutal too, even with navigating menus. I think it took a good 15 seconds for me to even see the trade window pop up. But I get that it's open beta and they'll probably be tweaking things. Plus the server is loaded with people.
  • venain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you can get more levequests at the adventurers guild, but you can only do 8 every 48 hours (another stupid limitation along with the "Bonus" exp system). I don't understand why they're trying to dictate the way people play, if I want to just quest over and over again, I should be able to.

Drumonman: healing agro is absolutely BROKEN as far as I can tell. Been playing it with my gf whos healing, and i'm a pugilist. I'll beat something down by myself to 50%, she'll heal once, and it will still agro her. You basically NEED level 10/taunt skill to be able to keep things off healers. Kinda silly.
  • JacqueChoi
  • kaze369
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaze369 polycounter lvl 8
    BlackulaDZ wrote: »
    I'll basically agree with everything Asherr said. But this is a beta so I'm going to assume they didn't include a lot of stuff, because the only things there are to do ingame at the moment are guild leves, grind, and crafting. did I mention navigating menus is TERRIBLE?
    I've played the beta for a few hours now and I totally agree. I was hoping Square would try to do something different with FFXIV but they're just doing the same thing from FFXI.
    Luckily, Bioware is trying to do something different.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    After playing FFXI, I gave this a go. I agree with the menus and the laggy mouse right now. However, after playing in the closed beta and the open beta, I've gotten more than used to the UI and navigation. Once you get the hang of it, it is great. I have no complaints about it. Yes, it is awkward at first, but nothing you can't get used to. From what I've gathered, the open beta is not a soft-launch. It's a true beta test. Lots of things will be changed, including an added hardware mouse option, as well as many other DirectX settings.

After playing for a long time, it's like I said, the navigation is great. Just need to get used to it. targeting is a little buggy right now, but it should be fixed for release. I really don't understand what the QQ/whining is about. It's not WoW people. It doesn't cater to casual people. You need to understand how the game is built, and it's great! :)
    I was playing with a buddy of mine, and all he did was complain about everything that wasn't like WoW, or any other similar MMO (Warhammer Online, Aion, etc).

I also do not understand how people can say that it is basically FFXI-2. Because it isn't. The game is very different, the mechanics are completely new. Races are similar, but then again, they've added significant racial changes as well. So far, I am really, REALLY enjoying the game. It's not easy to start off, because it isn't as intuitive as WoW, but once you understand the control scheme, it's awesome. The UI is fine, a little unresponsive right now, due to the fact that the servers are pretty laggy. But that should/will be resolved.

Definitely a yey for me. Also, those saying you can't bind any custom keyboard shortcuts, you can. Just can't bind everything. But the things you CAN bind, you can bind them to any key on your keyboard.
  • venain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prophecies wrote: »
    After playing FFXI, I gave this a go. I agree with the menus and the laggy mouse right now. However, after playing in the closed beta and the open beta, I've gotten more than used to the UI and navigation. Once you get the hang of it, it is great. I have no complaints about it. Yes, it is awkward at first, but nothing you can't get used to. From what I've gathered, the open beta is not a soft-launch. It's a true beta test. Lots of things will be changed, including an added hardware mouse option, as well as many other DirectX settings.

After playing for a long time, it's like I said, the navigation is great. Just need to get used to it. targeting is a little buggy right now, but it should be fixed for release. I really don't understand what the QQ/whining is about. It's not WoW people. It doesn't cater to casual people. You need to understand how the game is built, and it's great! :)
    I was playing with a buddy of mine, and all he did was complain about everything that wasn't like WoW, or any other similar MMO (Warhammer Online, Aion, etc).

I also do not understand how people can say that it is basically FFXI-2. Because it isn't. The game is very different, the mechanics are completely new. Races are similar, but then again, they've added significant racial changes as well. So far, I am really, REALLY enjoying the game. It's not easy to start off, because it isn't as intuitive as WoW, but once you understand the control scheme, it's awesome. The UI is fine, a little unresponsive right now, due to the fact that the servers are pretty laggy. But that should/will be resolved.

Definitely a yey for me. Also, those saying you can't bind any custom keyboard shortcuts, you can. Just can't bind everything. But the things you CAN bind, you can bind them to any key on your keyboard.

its not even about being a wow person or a casual gamer. I love the fact that its not like wow, but that's no excuse for such a terrible UI. If you've ever played WoW, or any other MMO, and then you jump into FFXIV and attempt to navigate around, its like playing with both hands tied behind your back and you're only allowed to use your tongue to press keys. I could deal with the stupidly clunky UI if it wasn't for the insane lag that the UI also has. I mean really, no complaints? You're fine with the fact that it takes like 10-30 seconds just to open the synth window? I guess that could be fixed in retail, but right now its really bad.
  • Purplepaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Purplepaint polycounter lvl 8
    I played the "open" beta, all i have to say is, there is f2p games that blow ff14 away.

Major fail by Square Enix... although it is pretty.
  • JusticeMoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YEY!!!! I cant wait for this, the battle system looks great, the graphics look great, everything looks better than XI! I was invited into the 2nd stage beta
  • Irreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irreal polycounter lvl 10
    Gave it another shot last night but played with the 360 controller instead of keyboard and mouse. It felt like a totally different game. In a good way. Still laggy as hell and very very Japanese but its not half as bad as i thought it was.
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not getting this lag everyone is talking about and my pc isn't real beast mode either. I just am smarter with my settings I guess. Try turning some things down FFXIV is a power whore so make sure to not feed it to much. Even at the lowest settings the game still looks pretty so don't over due it. The Ui isnt really terrible as you guys make it out to be either, the fact that you can move the entire UI to any place you want his hands down a kick ass feature. Nothing is static and can be moved without a need for an addon. Those having issues with battle systems or spells start using the macro feature to cast or use abilities this might help you out.

Questing, the beta forums are gold if you ever have time to read them. People have already data mined that you can still grind if you want to just like wow or ffxi. There are also way more options then just the standard quests you can do crafting quests or kill quests that dont fall into the time limits. You can also walk or airship to the other citys and do their "Dailys" as well within the given time.

Before you guys start really putting the game down at how this and that sucks play more then 2hrs on it. I have played wow since beta and am currently in a top raiding guild, I raided on FFXI through chains of promethia, so I'm what you might call a hardcore raider and will try to theory craft the crap out of the game before I say ney. Does the game have some issues yes, but so far all the issues you guys have found the producer already has said the support isnt added for the beta. Pay attention to the beta forums and bug reports and actually participate in the beta rather then oh snap a free game to play for a month.

Sorry for the rant fill free to flame me back it's just some things I have been meaning to say after reading some of the things said in this thread. If you find some false logic in my statements then let me know what you think. Im not going to get mad or cry about it, if anything it might open my mind up to something new.
  • kaze369
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aftermath wrote: »
    I'm not getting this lag everyone is talking about and my pc isn't real beast mode either. I just am smarter with my settings I guess. Try turning some things down FFXIV is a power whore so make sure to not feed it to much. Even at the lowest settings the game still looks pretty so don't over due it. The Ui isnt really terrible as you guys make it out to be either, the fact that you can move the entire UI to any place you want his hands down a kick ass feature. Nothing is static and can be moved without a need for an addon. Those having issues with battle systems or spells start using the macro feature to cast or use abilities this might help you out.

Questing, the beta forums are gold if you ever have time to read them. People have already data mined that you can still grind if you want to just like wow or ffxi. There are also way more options then just the standard quests you can do crafting quests or kill quests that dont fall into the time limits. You can also walk or airship to the other citys and do their "Dailys" as well within the given time.

Before you guys start really putting the game down at how this and that sucks play more then 2hrs on it. I have played wow since beta and am currently in a top raiding guild, I raided on FFXI through chains of promethia, so I'm what you might call a hardcore raider and will try to theory craft the crap out of the game before I say ney. Does the game have some issues yes, but so far all the issues you guys have found the producer already has said the support isnt added for the beta. Pay attention to the beta forums and bug reports and actually participate in the beta rather then oh snap a free game to play for a month.

Sorry for the rant fill free to flame me back it's just some things I have been meaning to say after reading some of the things said in this thread. If you find some false logic in my statements then let me know what you think. Im not going to get mad or cry about it, if anything it might open my mind up to something new.

Have you been able to post in the beta forums or post bug reports because I haven't. I can login but that about it. I actually wrote down some feedback I wanted to give but all I get is an access denied.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    I agree. You don't know SQUAT about the game with only 2 hours put into it. After spending a week in beta I still learned things. Also, everything being a mystery as to how it works (fishing, combat, etc) just makes it so much more interesting.

Put some time into the game before saying it is shit. It's not an idiot-proof game. You need to think a little because not everything is explained to you in depth. You need to figure the stuff out.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Prophecies wrote: »
    Put some time into the game before saying it is shit. It's not an idiot-proof game. You need to think a little because not everything is explained to you in depth. You need to figure the stuff out.

I don't think it's so much about it being not explained. I play many games without having to read an instruction manual but there's a difference between something being needlessly difficult versus being intuitive. It doesn't need to be a WoW clone but to throw everything out the window in the effort to be different is stupid when you throw out what works as well. Hell, there are things from XI that they threw out and those were things that worked. I was in beta for a few weeks and I just got sick of it.
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    I believe this is in need of a link.

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/topics/detail?id=c499e4c5df4f3f0fde1fb47a28574cb9c3991c9f

Essentially, they've changed quite a bit of the team working on this to get this to an enjoyable state.

I haven't been playing due to the fact that release was a complete flop, but here's to hoping they can turn things around with their realization.
    Thank you for your continued interest in and support of FINAL FANTASY XIV.

While more than two months have passed since the official launch of FINAL FANTASY XIV service, we deeply regret that the game has yet to achieve the level of enjoyability that FINAL FANTASY fans have come to expect from the franchise, and for this we offer our sincerest of apologies.

After thorough deliberation on how to meet those expectations, it was decided that the most viable step was to approach improvements under new leadership and with a restructured team.

To realize this vision, and in doing so, provide our customers with a better game experience, we have assembled our company's top talent and resources. Taking over the role of producer and director is Naoki Yoshida, a passionate individual for whom customer satisfaction has always taken top priority. Not only is he one of our Group's most accomplished and experienced members, Naoki Yoshida is also a charismatic leader possessing the skill to bring together and effectively helm a team which encompasses a wide range of responsibilities. We also welcome several new leaders handpicked from other projects to work with the existing talent on FINAL FANTASY XIV.

We realize time is of the essence and are fully determined to provide our customers with quality service. It is because of this that we ask our customers to be patient until we are able to confidently present them with a concrete plan outlining FINAL FANTASY XIV's new direction. The free trial period will be extended until that time.

Regarding the PlayStation 3, it is not our wish to release a simple conversion of the Windows version in its current state, but rather an update that includes all the improvements we have planned. For that reason, we have made the difficult decision to delay the release of the PlayStation 3 version beyond the originally announced date of March 2011.

The FINAL FANTASY XIV team is working hard to bring our customers an unparalleled adventure, and we ask for your continued understanding and support as we march ever diligently towards that goal.

President and CEO, Yoichi Wada
  • kaze369
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai wrote: »

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/topics/detail?id=c499e4c5df4f3f0fde1fb47a28574cb9c3991c9f

Essentially, they've changed quite a bit of the team working on this to get this to an enjoyable state.

I haven't been playing due to the fact that release was a complete flop, but here's to hoping they can turn things around with their realization.

WOW,just WOW!
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't cancelled my subscription yet, but the look at the new team excites me! This game has so much potential I don't wanna quit it yet.
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    ErichWK wrote: »
    I haven't cancelled my subscription yet, but the look at the new team excites me! This game has so much potential I don't wanna quit it yet.

There's no subscription, it's been under, "Free Trial" since the day it was released.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    does it have any pvp aspects?

if not i'll stick with WAR.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Rai wrote: »

Whoa, Japanese people never cease to amaze me. When shit hits the fan and they fuck up, they can take a step back and apologize to their customers. I know it's probably not written by Wada himself, but the fact that he signed it says quite a lot; especially when he's in position that lets him not give a fuck.

Glad to hear they're taking responsibility and not abandoning it. As a former fan, I'm often very critical about the current state of FF franchise. Yet, by making that post they got some of my respect back.

Now, get rid of Nomura and bring back this motherfucker.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone know if there's a 10 day trial or similar out for this? I'm a big MMO and FF fan and always wanted to check out FFXI but every time I tried to sign up it took about a decade and a half to download the client.

Would like to check it out, despite the negative reviews.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

THIS
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Anyone know if there's a 10 day trial or similar out for this? I'm a big MMO and FF fan and always wanted to check out FFXI but every time I tried to sign up it took about a decade and a half to download the client.

Would like to check it out, despite the negative reviews.

I've still got my buddy pass.
    They still haven't started charging their monthly fees. They just keep extending the initial trial period since launch.

I think you can find the game for ~$25-30
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Whoa, Japanese people never cease to amaze me. When shit hits the fan and they fuck up, they can take a step back and apologize to their customers. I know it's probably not written by Wada himself, but the fact that he signed it says quite a lot; especially when he's in position that lets him not give a fuck.

Glad to hear they're taking responsibility and not abandoning it. As a former fan, I'm often very critical about the current state of FF franchise. Yet, by making that post they got some of my respect back.

All of this +1 man, especially bringing back my ultimate hero of all time.

We were all talking about this at work today - how they handled everything is just awesome. I do hope that the new team can pull the rabbit out of the hat though. The game has loads of potential to do good things. Crafting is crazy addictive - i think its the only reason my wife still plays.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They are taking a big risk trying to revamp the game, I guess the PS3 is a good second chance launch but I doubt many PC users will give it a second chance, this could spell the downfall of Square Enix.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They are taking a big risk trying to revamp the game, I guess the PS3 is a good second chance launch but I doubt many PC users will give it a second chance, this could spell the downfall of Square Enix.

Shit dude you think its really that bad? I'm not sure it would effect the offline side of things ie Versus XIII, FFXV etc. I can see their online name being mud forever if they cant patch this up though.

The other thing we were talking about at work today was the fact that people have been playing this for 2 - 3 months now for free. So, Lets say they fixup the busted UI, lets say they make the game more playable and have better tutorials, lets say they revamp combat and really do make some fundamental changes for the better, the thing is, will it EVER be enough for the players who have been playing for free until its fixed, be willing to start paying for it ?

Maybe its going to need to be moved to being a F2P / Microtransaction tier product?
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15

Square Enix doesn't ride on the Final Fantasy franchise I don't believe, they have a lot more going for them.

Also, the difference between "Squee" and other developers or producers, is that if they do mess something up, they have the money and the man power to invest further into their product for a comeback on their sales.

It's not logical nor is it even a choice for them to NOT fix FFXIV, as that would be disastrous for the series as well as a loss in their investment.

I can't really throw any facts out there, but from my perspective I don't believe there's any downfall for them, maybe just a mood adjustment.

If anything, their communication on the issue has given them amazing props for trying to please the consumers, and unfortunately due to the fact that they're such a large company, communication isn't always the easiest.

Glad to see they're trying to touch base, which I honestly have not seen them do in a very, very long time. :thumbup:
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, it's that bad, I've seen a bunch of mmo designers facepalm over the mistakes in this game - These are people that love Final Fantasy XI.

It's failed in the western market, you only have one chance to launch an MMO. I don't see anything in this game that appeals to the Chinese or Korean market - the social and grinding features don't seem that strong. Granted, I don't know much about the Japanese market except that consoles reign supreme there, maybe the PS3 launch will be able to draw and maintain a relatively small group of hardcore fans.
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    If they're admitting there's an issue, obviously the Japanese player base complained.. A lot.

But it honestly sounds like they'd like to change heavy core features, I mean come on.. Do you see how many leads they replaced?

Lead Programmer
    Hideyuki Kasuga (FINAL FANTASY XI, DIRGE OF CERBERUS -FINAL FANTASY VII-)

Lead Combat System Designer
    Akihiko Matsui (FINAL FANTASY XI)

Those two alone tell you an insanely large amount of information on what they're willing to change, unless I'm mistaken?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that's my opinion as an mmo dev :P
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    I'm obviously not an MMO Dev.. But what I can say is, we'll just honestly have to wait and see what these crazy Japanese Squee folks try to accomplish with what they have at hand. :x

Absolutely not trying to argue a point, there's really no point to be made, we're all speculating, so sorry if I come off as though I am.
    Monster + M&M's + Late shift = :poly122:

=D
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that's my opinion as an mmo dev :P

Lol Ditto.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 14
    I think I'll stick with WoW, this just seems like a trainwreck, shame really :|
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Be aware of Necromancy!
    FF XIV 2.0
    http://www.ffandmore.com/?p=2623

Amazing. And if you wonder about gameplay. It's almost diffrent game now, than it was durning release.