Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

I am back! (with some actual work/projects!)

PixelGoat
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
Hey!

Been a looong time since I posted any work here. So I figured I´d give myself a kick in the ass and start producing some.

Gonna start by finishing up this dropship/flying brick that I started over 6 months ago and never got to finishing. Credit goes out to out incredible concept artists here at Fatshark for the design, Mattias Rousk and Jonas Norlen who took turns designing different parts of this beast :) Alot of the design/inspiration for it comes from Aliens and the APC they have in that movie.

Inspiration:
Aliens_APC_P1000771b.jpg

Just finishing up the High Poly for now, and started some on the lowpoly at the same time.

Replies

• PixelGoat
    Offline / Send Message
    Well the attachment thing didnt work to well it seems. Posting the images from my ftp instead then...

Flying-Brick_1.jpg

[Img]http://www.pixelgoat.se/projects/Flying Brick_2.jpg[/Img]

LP.jpg
  • Christian Hjerpe
    Offline / Send Message
    Christian Hjerpe polycounter lvl 11
    Looks cool! Can you post the concept art?
  • JarlanPerez
    Very cool. Great hard surface modeling. I like how this is turning out. The little gun towards the bottom center looks interesting to me and I really like the landing gear design.

I'm on the same boat as you. I need to do more work on my Foliage scene. It's been forever.
  • Drakon
    Offline / Send Message
    Drakon polycounter lvl 6
    Very cool indeed!
    The only thing im wondering about is a technical thing, the landing gear says that this is a ship that takes of and lands pretty much straight up and down, but i cant see any propulsion systems for taking of and landing, only forward movement.
    Now it might just be that it has some anti gravity system built in or we just cant see it in your pictures, but i think something that tells us that it can take of and land without a rolling start would do it good :) Especially since the jets for forward movement are so big and apparent
  • ajr2764
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    Very nice modeling and interesting design. Its nice to see another Modo 401 user...I'm still a few months into the program coming from Maya. It will be interesting to see your progress on this because I have a little hard surface project Im working on right now. What kind of setup are you using for those presentations. Keep up the good work, I'll be watching.
  • PixelGoat
    Offline / Send Message
    Drakon wrote: »
    Very cool indeed!
    The only thing im wondering about is a technical thing, the landing gear says that this is a ship that takes of and lands pretty much straight up and down, but i cant see any propulsion systems for taking of and landing, only forward movement.
    Now it might just be that it has some anti gravity system built in or we just cant see it in your pictures, but i think something that tells us that it can take of and land without a rolling start would do it good :) Especially since the jets for forward movement are so big and apparent

I see what you mean :)

Engine.jpg

This area was originally meant as the blast off engines, out of sheer laziness I closed them up with a metal plate... hehe

But after you pointing it out ill probably go back and model in some form of "engine-ish" looking thing :)

@ajr2764

Im just using some basic physical sun and Global illumination setup, with some reflections turned on, nothing too fancy :)
  • ajr2764
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    I'll have to look into the physical sun and GI, I don't know much about setting it up yet. I forgot to ask is there a reason why you built that mesh like as one piece. There seems like alot of those parts on the side and top could have worked also if they were seperate. Since it is one piece im curious to see how you worked that out as far as edge flow on the hi-poly.
  • PixelGoat
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 wrote: »
    I'll have to look into the physical sun and GI, I don't know much about setting it up yet. I forgot to ask is there a reason why you built that mesh like as one piece. There seems like alot of those parts on the side and top could have worked also if they were seperate. Since it is one piece im curious to see how you worked that out as far as edge flow on the hi-poly.

Not sure what you mean? it is made up of hundreds of pieces, not one large mesh...
  • PixelGoat
    Offline / Send Message
    continued to work on the lowpoly a bit tonight...
    LP2.jpg