Home General Discussion

Before you create an original finished drawing, how many do you draw?

[FONT=&#48148]Hello, fellow artist! I’m very curious![/FONT]
[FONT=&#48148]Before you create one original (character, vehicles, or environment) finished drawing, how many do you draw?(ex: real life studies 10 times, inspiration studies 5 times, rough sketch 50 times, final pose 20 times)[/FONT]
[FONT=&#48148] [/FONT]
[FONT=&#48148]Sorry for my English[/FONT]

Replies

• Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Pff, that depends, really. Sometimes dozens, sometimes it's nailed in 5 sketches.
    It depends on how long it takes you to explore every option and become completely satisfied with a design.

It's just a vague question, same as "what is a good tricount" or the likes.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    agree with Xoliul

but this will help some
    read and be merry!

http://www.autodestruct.com/thumbwar.htm
  • build.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    build. polycounter lvl 11
    I was wondering something similar lately but then realized there wasn't much question as the depending factors change a lot, like as Xoliul said it is kind of a vague question. Its something that improves with repetitiveness, practice and time as with all skills.

I would say it depends on your ability to concept, for me it takes ages to finalize a design I might be satisfied with, even then its always being revised. Though some of my friends that are into Concept Art takes them little to no time at all to find something workable.(oh the envy)

Edit: Nice firebert!
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    It's not about numbers but as xoliul says about how much drawings you need yourself to be satisfied with the idea for the neat version .

There are artists that have very clear pictures of what they want without doing any drawings first like marko djurdjevic for example who says he doesn't do thumbnails when he draws a character but that doesn't mean he doesn't think about it beforehand and does the necessary research.

Anyway don't think of numbers when drawing or learning how to draw, it only distracts you from actually learning anything
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    It doesn't have to be that many. Like Xoliul addressed.

Usually it'll take at least 3-5 rough sketches (in different prospectives) to finalize the final sketch that you'll make.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Firebert wrote: »
    agree with Xoliul

but this will help some
    read and be merry!

http://www.autodestruct.com/thumbwar.htm

Thanks for this :) - I've never seen it before...

That's an awesome breakdown of many great principles.