Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] – Julius Hettig, Character Artist

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Quasar polycounter lvl 19
Hi everyone. Long time no post!

Finally updated my portfolio for 2010 as I'm on a job hunt. Please check out my site here: www.jhettig.com, or click on the preview below. Feel free to post any comments or critiques!

Thanks!

[imglink]http://www.jhettig.com/pub/portfolio_preview_thumb.jpg[/imglink]

Replies

• Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    Really like that character with the sword for that unnanounced thing.

The cartoony stuff is awesome in my opinion. Maybe do more realistic stuff to round your folio out?
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    NIce work dude, your low poly characters are amazing, would like to see though more curent gen stuff but I see you are in progress with that. Get that sucker done and I think you are in a good position.
  • fabio brasilien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fabio brasilien polycounter lvl 11
    Looks perfect for me...You have great work on that, the website is clear and easy to navegate.
    :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great and all. But you should REALLY show the wires of the models. Especially when they are lowpoly like this.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    Looks really good : )
    maybe have it so I can press next? instead of going back to your homepage and then clicking another image? : O other then that your stuff is really good
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Nice and simple site. I kind of wish the related images were on one page instead of having to go back and forth all the time (I should practice what I preach...).

I really like those low poly, painted characters.

I think your sculpting needs a bit more refinement of anatomy in some places, but I don't doubt you'll get there with more work. Once you get some nice, current gen models on there I think you'll have an exceptional portfolio.
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    Account suspended. o_O
  • Viridis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your cartoony stuff is quite good. The only problem I have is with your WIP character. The concept art for that character has a much different body than what you have currently. In the concept she has beefy thighs and bigger arms, as well as jutted out hip bones and a bit of a belly. You may not personally like that body type but I think it adds to that punk/goth badassish style. Her proportions seem to be set up to make her look strong (thighs/stance/arms) while at the same time keeping around some stereotypical "goth/punk" female attributes like her hips bones and overall slimness. Right now yours looks like any tall and thin woman and I think that makes it less interesting.

That's just my opinion though. You may not like the proportions of the concept art and I understand that. But I think in this case it's actually important to be true to the body shape.
  • Quasar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quasar polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks everyone for the feedback!

I have updated my site with some nav buttons on each character page and threw in a wire shot for the sword girl.

@haikai- thanks man, I'll be starting a separate thread for that highpoly character soon.
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    I think your stuff is great man! I LOVE that lizard character. Such a cool little character.
    But your portfolio is only as good as the weakest piece... and those ankles on the golf instructor kill it for me. lol They are a little fat and bent backwards. So it made me question your knowledge on anatomy which is really important as a character artist. Now maybe you know your anatomy... and it is just that it is in the WIP phase like you claim... In that case you should take it off your website because you don't want someone judging you off of something that is incomplete. Hope that doesn't sound a little too nit picky :P I just wouldn't want that ruining your chances at a job.

Cheers!
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    really nice painted texture work! Good luck on the job hunt!

- BoBo
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    I love the style! Fantastic painted look.
  • natetheartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    natetheartist polycounter lvl 9
    Hey you've got some good low-spec chars in there.
    I'm surprised no one brought this up already but you REALLY shouldn't start open your portfolio to a work-in-progress. Open with your strongest piece, if you're going to have WIPs at all put them in a separate section.

When the first thing someone sees is an unfinished piece, they usually wonder why it's not finished. You don't want it to look like you don't finish your work. Additionally, the wip doesn't particularly show any part of your skill-set or attention to detail more than any of your other pieces.
  • Grey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love it man. I think you got this cartoony style down :) Good luck!