Home General Discussion

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World

Replies

• Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    It doesn't look like a good movie, it looks like a cool "Hey i'm a gamer, i get this! It's one of us! Finally a movie about my big interest!" good for one viewing kinda movie. I don't think anyone that isn't a gamer/geek/nerd would look at it to be honest.

I'm not hearing any talk or buzz about it either around my coworkers. It's still "inception this, inception that".

Still i haven't seen it. I'm just giving you some of my impressions. I might get around to it someday.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Wahlgren wrote: »
    It doesn't look like a good movie, it looks like a cool "Hey i'm a gamer, i get this! It's one of us! Finally a movie about my big interest!" good for one viewing kinda movie. I don't think anyone that isn't a gamer/geek/nerd would look at it to be honest.

I'm not hearing any talk or buzz about it either around my coworkers. It's still "inception this, inception that".

Still i haven't seen it. I'm just giving you some of my impressions. I might get around to it someday.

Yeah that's totally what i'm thinking. It really doesn't appeal to me. The trailer wasn't funny, it was over the top, the actors unappealing (seriously, the two main actors are below average looks imo) and gahh they even had Pendulum as music underneath.
    And they try so hard with the stupid videogame references and whatnot. Me and my friends are kinda geeky and we totally don't care about it, the only guy I know that is interested in this movie is the dude that furiously collects comics & figurines, wears comicbook shirts all day, and spazzes out over every single announcement that is targeted at his demographic.
    The box office results seem to indicate that is mostly right, 'cuz I know i'm gonna go see the expendables when it's out.
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    (seriously, the two main actors are below average looks imo)

err.. Are you saying you see movies based on the lead actor's appearance? :S Maybe I'm missing something?

Anyway, the movie has been out for a week, and this is the kind of movie that nails the DVD market more than anything. It's a bit of a shame though, I really liked it. :)
  • Monkeez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I loved it, can definitely see it being a lot of fun watching a second time with friends when we're all drinking :).
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    tanka wrote: »
    err.. Are you saying you see movies based on the lead actor's appearance? :S Maybe I'm missing something?

Anyway, the movie has been out for a week, and this is the kind of movie that nails the DVD market more than anything. It's a bit of a shame though, I really liked it. :)

Plothole: Ramona ain't hot enough to fight 7 dudes.. or 6 dudes 1 girl or whatever over. :poly142:
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka wrote: »

Not really man, just don't see it as a plus, like some people seem to do.
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Either this will be way awesome, or way fail..
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    kwakkie wrote: »
    Its not even showing in cinema's here in Holland, and no info if it will ever show either :(
    Not showing here either.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Jackablade wrote: »
    How is it that so often my opinion is so diametrically opposed to everyone elses? Oh right. Everyone else is crazy.

You just have to accept that it's you, the same way with me not liking Belgian beer, the beer doesn't suck, it's my taste buds.
  • seven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seven polycounter lvl 13
    Plothole: Ramona ain't hot enough to fight 7 dudes.. or 6 dudes 1 girl or whatever over. :poly142:

seriously thinking about this tooooooo hard :poly124:

First videogame movie to do it "right"
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod

She's hot enough, if you're Michael Cera :)

Seriously though...if you guys didn't atleast have a good time with this movie...you're just a bland person. Not even a chuckle at the L-Word joke? I don't believe it.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Geezus wrote: »
    Seriously though...if you guys didn't atleast have a good time with this movie...you're just a bland person. Not even a chuckle at the L-Word joke? I don't believe it.

oh god. that is what you're choosing to go with? that made me groan.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heh, I wasn't gonna reply, but ... my point exactly :p
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh man, that's like saying "Yarp" was the funniest moment in Hot Fuzz.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't care, I loved it.

I'm going to own it when it's out on Blue Ray.

This movie is soooo close to the source material that it should make every creator out there jealous of Brian Lee O'Mally. Every creator should be so lucky.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Sectaurs wrote: »
    oh god. that is what you're choosing to go with? that made me groan.

pshaw. I'm not saying it was the funniest moment in the movie, by far, but it seemed to be a joke that anyone could atleast get a little chuckle out of. :)
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Geezus wrote: »
    pshaw. I'm not saying it was the funniest moment in the movie, by far, but it seemed to be a joke that anyone could atleast get a little chuckle out of. :)

groan.

bi-furious. groan

Pee on her? Hilllariious.
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15

The thing is it's NOT a movie that panders to gamers. There's never a scene where somebody's like "Hey everybody! Let's go play videogames! Remember videogames?" Nobody plays somebody's grandma in a videogame for the publishing rights. There's no "oh, get the super secret hidden warp whistle in this game nobody's ever seen before!" moment. It's a story about a dude in love dealing with insecurity and his own self absorbed nature. Sometimes videogames are there.

It's more about having it's style influenced by games, people exploding into River City Ransom style piles of coins, weapons swipes having pixelated tracers, sound effects from games being used.

If anything it's the first movie to ever express an earnest love for videogames which is refreshing since pretty much EVERY movie directly or indirectly based on videogames is a heartless cash-in.
  • HandSandwich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HandSandwich polycounter lvl 18
    Saw it last night with a bunch of folks from work. I thought it was a solid movie. There was a cheesy line here and there but the escape through the window made up for those. I do agree about Ramona being distant and careless. She was the weakest character in the movie.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    You just have to accept that it's you, the same way with me not liking Belgian beer, the beer doesn't suck, it's my taste buds.
    Nah, you can't be thinking like that. From there you'll start questioning your own motives and talking yourself into liking things that you genuinely hate. Then one day you'll come to the horrific realisation that you're singing along to Justin Beiber and there'll be nothing left for you but commiting seppuku with your wacom stylus.
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    This thread gives me the impression of where the division of 'gamers' and 'artists' are here on this forum. I'm not saying that the super-duper artists here are not gamers and the hardcore gamers here are not artists, but that their connection to those camps are evident in the opinions expressed here.
    (these examples are the most extreme derivation of these impressions)
    Artist: "This movie is attempting something different and as an artist I am the authority on thing that are different. I give it a fail because it strangeness is obvious and not 'deep' like Inception."
    Game: "As somebody who is more devoted to experiencing games as an end user, I doubly appreciate the constant gaming references in the movie and it's all out silliness. I will undoubtedly enjoy this film because it's done nothing to actually insult me."

......hmmm, you can probably tell what side I'm on. But I find it somewhat perplexing that people on this board, a game-art board, can dislike this film. But as above... opinions man.

Also for the whole "oh noes college humour" argument. People may have grown up, but surely at one point people here where a part of that intended audience. Surely people here were once little teenage gamers who loved games and anything associated, and laughed at lesbian jokes? It's like saying that you'll never watch a kids movie because now you're grown up you were never a child.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    My thoughts are, if you didn't get the Zelda music in the first 5 min and enjoy it, you probably won't enjoy the movie.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    WHAT!!!, its got Zelda music, thats it, I'm buying it.
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf wrote: »
    My thoughts are, if you didn't get the Zelda music in the first 5 min and enjoy it, you probably won't enjoy the movie.

Actually I'd say if you didn't like the 8-bit themed Universal Pictures intro at the very beginning, you won't like it.
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. The jokes weren't the most clever or original but at least they had great delivery and timing; the editing and pacing was solid, there was never a time when I felt bored or started to loose interest; the characters were down to Earth and relatable, though I did not think the chemistry between Michael Cera's and Mary Elizabeth Winstead's characters was there but it did not ruin the movie for me. I don't care about Zelda music or how many video game references were there, this was a good piece of cinema which I intend on seeing again.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The box office numbers sadden me, it means that girlfriends are being dragged to a muscle-head movie and boyfriends are being dragged to a sappy romance. My girlfriend loved Scott Pilgrim and she isn't a gamer, it's the best of both worlds.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Snacuum wrote: »
    Actually I'd say if you didn't like the 8-bit themed Universal Pictures intro at the very beginning, you won't like it.

I guess that too. The whole audience cheered when that popped up.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18

I didn't like that it was their logo put through a mosaic filter, and not actually 8 bit.

Most of the music in the movie was made by Beck. Which is a very good thing.
  • Easy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loved this movie it was phenomenal loved every minute of it. Gotta agree about the box office numbers my heart dropped Edgar Wright and the crew of the film deserve so much more for it. Hell I think im going to go see it again just to help it get some more money (and because it was that good).
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oddly enough though, this is Edgar Wright's first, top 5 movie debut.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    oddly enough though, this is Edgar Wright's first, top 5 movie debut.

Yeah. As disheartening as the box office numbers are, Edgar Wright's movies have always been rather niche. I think this film might be a slow burn, and it will probably do great in DVD/Blu-Ray sales.

I'll try to catch a showing this weekend.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    The box office numbers sadden me, it means that girlfriends are being dragged to a muscle-head movie and boyfriends are being dragged to a sappy romance. My girlfriend loved Scott Pilgrim and she isn't a gamer, it's the best of both worlds.

Everything about this post says

bs13690-83559-albums-random-pics-pic43266-nerds-ogre.jpg

Anyway i want to see the movie but havent gotten a chance!
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    The geek in me loved just about everything in this movie. Really awesome, very different... and if you don't get it, you never will :P
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Does this dialogue drive anyone else into a murderous rage?
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackablade wrote: »
    Does this dialogue drive anyone else into a murderous rage?

No. Because:

A) I read the comics first anyway.
    B) When I sit down to watch a movie, I put myself in a state of mind where I won't pick apart the movie and it's dialogue.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That 2d animation thing was kinda enjoyable-ish. I guess it's due to no stupid jokes and tryhard actors.
  • [Deleted User]
    B) When I sit down to watch a movie, I put myself in a state of mind where I won't pick apart the movie and it's dialogue.
    so you just look at the pretty pictures, or what
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul wrote: »
    That 2d animation thing was kinda enjoyable-ish. I guess it's due to no stupid jokes and tryhard actors.

They're the same actors as the one's in the movie.

Also,

Haters_Gonna_Hate_10.jpg
  • JimeeB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JimeeB polycounter lvl 10
    Movie was amazing, the game is just as good(as castle crasher).

I read the comics beforehand.

The first 30-45 minutes of the film were almost a direct correlation from the comics, which was nice. But after that the changes were acceptable and fabulous.
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaskad wrote: »
    so you just look at the pretty pictures, or what

no it means that I can sit down and enjoy something as the creators intended for it without going over it with a microscope like a scientist.

Basically it's like how I can enjoy driving a car from place to place without stopping to dissassemble it and evaluate how good it's fuel economy is.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    A bit late to the party, but I totally loooooved this movie. Had a great vibe all throughout, and had this great feeling of "wwoooooow awesome" at the end. :P.

/end of necropost.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    same here. watched it last night, thought it was great.
  • Endzeit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Endzeit polycounter lvl 10
    Awesome film, watched it 4 times!
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    I like the music in there, especially the song by Scott's ex-girlfriend. :)
  • Noodle!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noodle! polycounter lvl 8
    Loved this movie, it was fun all the way through. The visuals were fun, the dialogue was fun and overall low key goodness.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    McGreed wrote: »
    I like the music in there, especially the song by Scott's ex-girlfriend. :)

Yeah, the song is actually by Metric, called Black Sheep, and I'm completely in love with it!! :D [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArkDWrHmmXI[/ame]

I watched the movie on DVD with my friend the other day, after seeing it in theatres. Still really awesome :D
    Right afterwards... we downloaded the game on my PS3 :P lol Also amazing retro fun!! :)
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    I admit. I was blown away by the film.. It was in fact. Awesome.

But damn it hurt to watch cause she reminded me of a friend in the past that didn't work out.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    That Metric version of Black Sheep is so much better than the movie one. I read somewhere Envy Adams whole look was inspired by Emily Haines, figures Metric wrote the song too. The only song that stuck with me after the movie though was the first evil ex's Bollywood number :o
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    lol europe sucks, its only going on the theaters in 2 days...sad really ehehe.