Home Technical Talk

Someone want to write a script in max ?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
I whould like to have a spacebar shortcut that works similar to hotbox in maya. The best way to do this whould be to write the script so that i can change the tools as i want in there, so if i want to in the future i can change the shortcuts myself. Also is it possible to add any fancier graphics than max can offer for boxes and so on ?.

The problem for me is that i dont have time or iq to script so i whould prefer someone to do that for me.

you will get paid offcourse so please leave an offer.

thanks // Jimmy

Replies

• killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    Have you done a google search? I found a few scripts right off the bat that offer similar behavior. I can't recommend any, however. ;)
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    yeah like this one:
    http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/3ds-max-hot-box
    hotbox_screen_capture.jpg

some member (forgot who) did something similar here at the tech talk section as well, though it was more fixed to the viewport but one could add modifiers and scripts to it.

I did some research in maxscript and dotNet to dynamically bind scripts to shortcuts on the fly (similar to silo), and so I had similar ideas of quickly adding hard to access scripts or functionality in a quick and productive way.
  • jimpaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    killingpeople, I have come to the same conclusion.
    renderhjs, I have tryed all there is so far including what you recommend here. I agree. I think that if you find a way to create your own shortcuts on a spacebar command you can speed up things alot. Any idea how long a script like this whould take to write ?, is it enormous amount of job ?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    From experience, these 'advanced' UI scripts only tend to mess up with the interface. I find it easier and safer to bend the available options to your liking - like, fully customizing your quad menus. You can put anything in there, from modifiers to macros launching scripts. Then its just a matter of right-clicking (instead of spacebar) to bring them up. Try it! You might like it ;)
  • jimpaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    pior wrote: »
    From experience, these 'advanced' UI scripts only tend to mess up with the interface. I find it easier and safer to bend the available options to your liking - like, fully customizing your quad menus. You can put anything in there, from modifiers to macros launching scripts. Then its just a matter of right-clicking (instead of spacebar) to bring them up. Try it! You might like it ;)

i didnt really get it to work, and it was very messy done. I found some things on the meny and some other stuff wasnt there. any tutorials on this ? , I whould really prefer spacebar anyway.
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    you can of course the shortcut of one quad to space as well... ;)
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    I was about to say, you could make a new quad menu, stick on what you want, and bind it to space. then you can right click for the regular menu, and spacebar for the other.
  • jimpaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    fearian wrote: »
    I was about to say, you could make a new quad menu, stick on what you want, and bind it to space. then you can right click for the regular menu, and spacebar for the other.

True, But still, i find it a mess to work with the quad, i want to be able to marke some parts in different colors and also shortcuts to functions in scripts i downloaded. Is this possible ?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dont know about the colors, but the part about scripts is totally doable, mine is full of that. If it shows up as a shortcut or as a button, then it can be put in a quad.

Heres mine
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/pior_ubb/piormod2.jpg

I didnt create a new one - simply edited the default, and removed stuff I didnt need. Theres primitives, modifiers and custom scripts all in there :)
  • jimpaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    Dont know about the colors, but the part about scripts is totally doable, mine is full of that. If it shows up as a shortcut or as a button, then it can be put in a quad.

Heres mine

I didnt create a new one - simply edited the default, and removed stuff I didnt need. Theres primitives, modifiers and custom scripts all in there :)

Nice, How long does it take to make that ?
  • THE 5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THE 5 polycounter lvl 14

Heres mine

Two Months aggo I've been asking how to put scripts etc. into a toolbar , but in a more categorized way, not linear one under the other. Now you got such a toolbar there pior :o
    Did you script that floating toolbar you got there? But you say you "didn't create a new one" to me that sounds like you used another way than maxscript. If so, could you share how you created this?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh yeah the thing on the right is totally unrelated, its just a way for me to organize shortcuts that i want in button form and always on screen. Its done using the visual maxcript UI editor :
    http://www.vimeo.com/15997907

As for the quad, its fairly quick to do really - just drag and drop commands in there in the Quad section of the customize UI menu in max. The trick is to delete the stuff that you know you re never going to use. But just go little by little and it should be fine.
  • jimpaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    Oh yeah the thing on the right is totally unrelated, its just a way for me to organize shortcuts that i want in button form and always on screen. Its done using the visual maxcript UI editor :
    http://www.vimeo.com/15997907

As for the quad, its fairly quick to do really - just drag and drop commands in there in the Quad section of the customize UI menu in max. The trick is to delete the stuff that you know you re never going to use. But just go little by little and it should be fine.

I really like that menu to the right, if i pay you could you build something like that to me ?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Or, just watch that video, and do it yourself for free :D
  • THE 5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THE 5 polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks for the video Pior!
    Motivates me to do some Maxscript :D