Home Technical Talk

really really noob sculpting/mudbox question

so I'm going to try and whip together an entry for the mudbox competition as I've started to get pretty decent with it, and I realized I don't really know the answer to something

so I take a base mesh for a character and unwrap it, import it into mudbox and being to sculpt and paint it, it's done and it's awesome

How concerned should I be with the level of detail for the sculpt I do in regards to the UV's and overall complexity of the base mesh?

If I worded this really stupid let me know and I'll try and readdress it

Replies

• jimmypopali
    Do you just need to see the bulges in his arms, or do you need to see the veins stick out? Are those shoe laces getting enough bevel or do they need more?

It depends on what you want seen (also what your computer can handle) remember, there are a lot of little details you can create yourself in PS so there isn't as much strain on your PC.
  • [SF]Three9
    Perna I appreciate your brash honesty in that, however, I just wasn't sure if it was understood or not :). Thank you for clarifying it. I'm just a guy trying to get some valuable information.

Basically what I'm trying to ask is how far should I push the low poly base mesh for a sculpt so the UV's will remain intact with the details I sculpt. Obviously if my low poly unwrap is at like 400 tris and I do a lot of detail, it's not going to work properly for painting the high poly version. I'm going to be texturing the high poly version and just want to make sure I push the base mesh far enough so the UV's won't get distorted
  • [SF]Three9
    oh ok, well thanks for that Perna! :)