Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Game Project Thread - Cradle

Hello everyone,

I'm working on a games project at Uni called 'Cradle'. It's a first person survival horror, based on puzzle solving skills and stealth. Because of the short time span I'm working with for this game (not to mention I'm a one man team) I'm aiming to release a demo of the game by November.

So I've decided to post up some work I've been doing on one of the characters for Cradle. Among the many characters and environments I've brain stormed lurks the Interfector. As you can probably tell it is indeed a hostile creature, but it cannot be blamed for it actions. This grotesque entity was once a human however after being exposed to a mysterious alien parasite, there is little left of his mind or body that resembles anything of the sort.

Concept art was created in Photoshop, the base model done in 3DS Max, and the High poly sculpt in ZBrush. The final model comes in at 5572 tris.

24476_112550608775873_100000628026181_123241_2450771_n.jpg

ClaytonBarton-InterfectorBeautyShot1.jpg

ClaytonBarton-InterfectorBeautyShot2.jpg

31878_127726793924921_100000628026181_179540_8138580_n-1.jpg

Replies

• Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Dude nice one!..like this stylize type horror character (and not so much of "disgusting" things that most of the horror characters have).
    Can you post up the wireframe model screenshot?

PS:
    We should meet him with my mutant nurse, probably they can make a perfect blind couple lol poly120.gif

_Revel
  • clayton_barton
    Haha, yeah, maybe zombie mutants can find love after all? Okay so here's the wireframes and texture maps.

InterfectorWireFrame.jpg

ClaytonBarton-InterfectorUVUnwrap.jpgClaytonBarton-InterfectorDiffuseMap.jpg

ClaytonBarton-InterfectorNormalMap.jpgClaytonBarton-InterfectorSpecularMap.jpg
  • duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    good work !!!!
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Did you generate you normal map from ZBrush sculpt/ baking from high poly model/ nVidia filter/other place?

_Revel
  • clayton_barton
    I created the base mesh in 3DS Max, imported it into ZBrush where I sculpted in the details such as wrinkles in the cloths, and the decaying flesh. You can generate Normal Maps in most 3D packages, this includes ZBrush, 3DS Max, and I'm pretty sure Maya. However I used a 3rd party tool called XNormal to generate the Normals on this particular model. There are plenty of choices, just do your research and find out what works best for you.
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    Dude, your texture is completely symmetrical, you should've unwrapped half of it and mirrored, you'd have double the texture size. Wrapping like you did is only justifiable if there's going to be unique assymetrical detail on the textures.
  • clayton_barton
    Dude, your texture is completely symmetrical, you should've unwrapped half of it and mirrored, you'd have double the texture size. Wrapping like you did is only justifiable if there's going to be unique assymetrical detail on the textures.

This is true, although I was under the understanding that you cannot overlap UV's when it comes to generating normal maps?
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    Well, yeah it can lead to problems but there are workarounds. If I recall correctly you should unwrap half the model, apply the symmetry modifier, now if you put another UVW unwrap modifier you'll notice all UVs are duplicated on top of each other. Just select half the model's UVs and move them out of the texture area, best way to do this is set UV coordinates on your lower left to relative then move them by 1, this will move them exactly "one texture square" to the right. Now you're ready to bake, since there aren't overlapping UVs the different halves won't mess with each other. After you're done you can move back the parts you ditched, just move them by -1 and they should snap back where they were before.
  • clayton_barton
    This is a prop I've been working on for one of the bio waste areas in Cradle. It's kind of an invention of my own with various pumps referenced and put together into one giant pump. It's currently in WIP stage and I was hoping some of you guys might have some thoughts or suggestions on what else I could add to the model, or if I should make any changes to what I've already done. Keep in mind this pump is supposed to be pretty big in comparison to a human, the main body of it being roughly 2-3 people high.

Cradle-WIPPumpWireframe.jpg

Cradle-WIPPumpShaded.jpg
  • clayton_barton
    Hey everyone. It's been a long time since I posted anything in this thread. But the good news is this project is finally finished. So I just wanted to post some screenshots of the final game.

Cradle_00.jpg

Cradle_01.jpg

Cradle_02.jpg

Cradle_03.jpg

Cradle_05.jpg

I had some pretty big ideas for this project, ideas far too large to be realistically achievable so in the end I managed to get about 20% done of what I had originally planned in the game design document. Well, I guess this is the sort of thing you take away from learning how to make games, you learn what is achievable in a given time frame and what elements of the game take priority over the other. Below are some concepts, some of which made it into the game, and some which unfortunately didn't.

37504_134252139939053_100000628026181_203893_7027165_n.jpg

24476_112550605442540_100000628026181_123240_5313029_n.jpg

ClaytonBarton-EnemyConcepts_01.jpg
  • Jimmg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jimmg polycounter lvl 5
    Really nice! Far too bright for a survival horror/stealth game though.
  • Endzeit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Endzeit polycounter lvl 10
    Oh you use Source engine?
    Good Luck :P
    Looks nice so far, but the last screenshot of the map is a bit empty.
    You could add some dirt or so.
  • clayton_barton
    Thanks for your comment. I actually ended up using the Unity Engine.
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Awesome work, really love the creature and the concepts. Look forward to seeing more.

The environments look like they could use a bit more character, though. It all seems a bit sterile, with everything in it's place.
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Concepts are top-notch, but your sourcemaps, well, need work, as they're way too bright for anything resembling survival-horror. I'd also suggest you create custom modified textures of the ones you're using with soft bump and specular maps to break up the otherwise flatness that is prone to source-mods/games, but without making either spec or bump too obvious and coming down with an 'unreal syndrome', as i like to call it. :P

btw, your shoulder-pad zombie lady's legs are too sexy. compare to l4d2's spitter concept art