Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Warm up fun (deus ex 3 scene)

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
It has been a long time since I've posted any personal work, and since everyone seems to be doing deus ex related work, I thought I would jump on the band wagon :poly142:

This will be a warm up project for me to get back into the swing of things on a personal work level, I've been dropping it recently and I really need to kick it back up.

I really dug this concept, nothing to fancy but its a nice enclosed space that should hopefully be completed in a short duration (hopefully).

art2.jpg

And here is some work I've done for tonight, I'm trying my best to stay away from floating geometry right now, its been a bit tough but I think its coming along.

wallspreview1.jpg

Haven't been able to do too much sci fi at work, so this is nice to go back to. I'll have more updates tomorrow :)

Replies

• Acumen
    Offline / Send Message
    Acumen polycounter lvl 18
    Haven't been able to do too much sci fi at work
    Jason Lavoie | Environment Artist - Digital Extremes
    YEH RIGHT, LIAR. Working at digital extremes and not making scifi - tell the hand about it ;)
    Care to ellaborate why you want to stay away from the floating bits ? I thought it would be common practice, timesafer and whatnot ?
    Just a brutal mental challenge you put yourself under ?

I always enjoyed your scifi-stuff (but my favorite is still the slightly cartoonish brick and stonework pieces - I could select them out of 100's as your work - which is a mighty good thing). Hope you make lighting not as harsh to the eyes as it is on the concept

@ Xoliul: yeh, I always wondered why you keep it so heavily on the vehicle side. That one environment you did, was magnific. And the scifi sector stuff just waits for you to conquer it... Stop making vehicles and bomb your portfolio with nice hard surface environment scifi-stuff !
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Man, I should really do a concept like this too some time, I just never run into this stuff :/

Looking good, though that wall piece doesn't look that difficult to not use floaters on, no ? Or are you connecting everything as a single mesh ?
  • glynnsmith
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Waaaaaaaaaaaatchiiiiiiiiiiiing.

Can't wait to see this progress :)
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    So was 3ds max "black ops"? :P Looking good Jay and can't wait for more stuff.
  • PatrickL
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    Looking good so far.
  • Mistry10
    Offline / Send Message
    Mistry10 polycounter lvl 8
    Cool stuff man !
    you should really show this to Mr.Patel ! he love love to see ur work !
  • vahl
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    not the first time I notice this from you jason, and others in general, but you have a lot of super sharp edges and 90° angles that will not read very nicely on the normal, which is a shame because it'll give away the illusion of depth, even with a good AO, like there's already noise/aliasing on your screengrab which is about twice the size this wall will always be seen ingame, just think about it :)
    I'm anal about this because I was culprit of this in the past too, and really it helps so much to pay attention to this that I have a post-it with "watch your fucking edges" on my monitor

Also, it looks like you derailed from the concept ? you lost the cool vents shapes and some cool details on the left, and added some unneeded holes on the mid panel, sizes and proportions are kinda not matching either ? it's a shame because the way this wall panel is balanced on the concept is what makes it cool, etc.

keep it up tho, make the strangefate proud.
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl wrote: »
    not the first time I notice this from you jason, and others in general, but you have a lot of super sharp edges and 90° angles that will not read very nicely on the normal.

Also, it looks like you derailed from the concept ? you lost the cool vents shapes and some cool details on the left, and added some unneeded holes on the mid panel.

keep it up tho, make the strangefate proud.

I was thinking the same thing vahl... I've forced myself to have more "soft" edges on the sides of pieces, but now that you mention it, I definatly strayed from that with this piece, I will go back and soften them up a bit (i just don't want to make it look blobby :( )

And as for following the concept, this was just a wip shot, so all those vents / lights etc. on the left wall will get done, but I can only do so much in one sitting vahl... you trying to kill me? :P As for the holes I added, you are right... those never felt right, and I was scared of just having a flat service, but it DOES make this concept look cool without all that added visual noise, they will be removed.

Xoliul / Acumen - The only reason why I'm not doing floaters is for practice really :P I want to make Pedro proud :)

Thanks all, more to come :)
  • roosterMAP
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    i cant wait to see more. i LOVE thier art direction. :)
  • SimonT
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    deus ex style rocks!
  • vahl
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    Jason : don't be scared of having a flat panel, it brings contrast and makes the more detailed areas pop up even more, plus they allow for a lot of super cool material details :) balance between detail and empty spaces=win

I totally understand you were making wips, etc but some of the details aren't placed so that they will coincinde with the concept, and that's what my feedback was about :) keep it up man, you're doing great, just nitpicking because I see the potential in the piece, which could bring it from a "oh neat", to a "holy shit awesome" :)
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm If you could clarify what areas aren't following the concept I think that would help :) I don't necessarily think i can nail it 100%, I don't even know if I would want too, but if there are areas that are bringing it down then let me know :P

Small update - I have symmetry on the left wall right now, I'll make those asymmetrical details in a bit.

wallspreview2.jpg
  • Pedro Amorim
    you are making me proud son :)
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
  • vahl
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    lill' paintover, hope it'll help :) pm or msn if you need more precise info, etc :)
  • snow
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    argh.... how awkward, I was planning on doing this scene =[
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
  • snow
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    You sure that's okay? - I feel bad now! Mines for my portfolio, but I won't hijack your thread any longer!
  • Jungsik
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    hRMMM JASON, i found another thread to stalk...:D it looks good so far, your not making a lowpoly for this right? since its just a personal project? :P
  • ae.
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
  • d1ver
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    hey, just been browsing through these concepts yesterday.)
    great start. keep up the good job, man!
  • jocose
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    Will be watching this.
  • vikramvr
    Offline / Send Message
    vikramvr polycounter lvl 7
    Really beautiful concept, and great start on the high res.
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik wrote: »
    hRMMM JASON, i found another thread to stalk...:D it looks good so far, your not making a lowpoly for this right? since its just a personal project? :P

Definatly making an in-game scene for this within udk. But I'll prob render out some nice renders of the high.

Whenever I am in doubt, I always have you Arman to help me feel good about myself... :poly124:
  • mat
    this will officially suck until i get my plates back jay.. then... might consider changing my mind
  • Jungsik
    Offline / Send Message
    sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey cool... its a floor :(

floorcool.jpg

Finally getting onto baking, slow progress is slow...
  • ajr2764
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    Good stuff Jason, I'm a fan of your work will be watching this thread.
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    Alritghy, hopefully this is a more tasty update, finally getting to blocking out the scene with the pieces I have. I still have more pieces to bake (the lights, railing, cieling, maybe another random wall) then from there I'm going to add more geo to all the areas to add some much needed depth.

sceneprev1.jpg

Then it's on to texturing, which I am really looking forward too. I have an idea of how I want the lighting / post to work, which will be taking the golds from Dues Ex 3 and mashing them until it works, Edios has nailed an amazing atmosphere which I would love to try and replicate.

Slowly but surely this piece is getting done :)
  • eyo
    Offline / Send Message
    eyo polycounter lvl 9
    tasty work Mr Lavoie, keep it ups!
  • {scumworks}
    its gonna be awesome! gj
  • Dani
    Offline / Send Message
    Dani polycounter lvl 9
    nice!, was waiting to see someone have a go at a deus ex 3 style environment. Will probably do something similar once i get my current scene wrapped up.

can't wait to see the final result.
  • Ryan Smith
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
  • Minos
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Very nice Jason, looking forward! :D
  • shinobix
    Offline / Send Message
    shinobix polycounter lvl 16
    Oh Jason,
    You're so purdy... I mean... Uh... You're scene is looking good man!
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    I always try and look my best for you mr Wood :) haha

Thiago - Thanks buddy, you're sci fi scene is a HUGE inspiration, I want to try and nail down contrast as well as you did.

Thanks everyone :)
  • EMC3D
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 7
    ;o ....... do want reflections update

pwnage
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    I will defiantly be using a unhealthy amount of cube maps for this scene, I've never actually used them before in UDK though :)

If I don't get the update out tonight, then hopefully tmr they'll be more progress. I would like to have this in UDK with at least a base texture / lighting done by the end of this weekend.
  • brandoom
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Jay,

this scene,

pro.
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    I have an idea of how I want the lighting / post to work, which will be taking the golds from Dues Ex 3 and mashing them until it works, Edios has nailed an amazing atmosphere which I would love to try and replicate.

It always comes down to mashing stuff together :P Looking good Jay..
  • ae.
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
  • Jungsik
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay it all looks nice !!

Looking forward the textures ^0^
  • shinobix
    Offline / Send Message
    shinobix polycounter lvl 16
    Jay,
    Cube maps in UDK are super simple to hook up. I'd recommend building / texturing / lighting your scene first, then using UDKs cubemap generator, get true maps from that. I keep resorting to some old ones I have and they tend to throw my scenes off a bit.
    Can't wait to see this textured up bud!
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    Ohhh thats a good idea Andrew, I was actually going to use some canned ones but I think you have a great point, should tie it in nicely as well.

I want to work on it tonight but tiredness has hit me, but expect some nice updates this weekend :)
  • jocose
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    Hey Jason, i'm curious, do you sub-d out your entire scene sub-d like this when your working without a concept, or is this your prefered method of working no matter what.

Do you ever use tools like crazybump or nDO, and if so what factors do you consider before employing them.
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm... Well Usually I don't work without a concept, specially for scene's (I don't think I've ever done that, I'm really bad when I don't have any reference :( ).

Usually though I like to make my high poly first, since it is much more "relaxing" to do that and then quickly build your lows / unwrap / bake etc.

I'm absolutely in LOVE with nDO, and I currently use it just about everyday at work. It is a great mix between crazybump's ability to produce depth and Xnormal's ability to produce great high / mid frequency details.

Now mind you most of those details I paint in after I have an initial bake, orrrr if I want to get something out fast without having to worry about modeling / sculpting.

I've also found that I love to first base out my entire scene within 3d max, make sure everything looks good / fits correctly, then quickly export it (in place) so its 1 to 1 within the engine itself. I wouldn't take this kind of approach if I was just making props (unless there was a reason) but for scenes like this, i really don't need to worry about placing everything and hopefully it fits together, I just like knowing when I import it into the engine, it'll fit nice and tight :)
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    Buh, super late so there are probably going to be some glaring errors that I haven't noticed yet, but this is where the scene is at currently.

sceneprev2.jpg

Tomorrow I'll be working on finishing up the modeling / uv fixes and then finally taking it into UDK to get the base of it built out in there. From there it is onto texturing :)

I have a couple of things I'd love to try for this scene ( a couple of screen effects) that I think it should be good practice in preparation for what I'll be working on next.

More to come :)
  • Habboi
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Excuse my ignorance but is that high poly we're looking at or baked low? Well anyway it looks very tidy and the silhouette is easy to follow.
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh sorry, yuh thats the bake down version :) Right now its just normals and 3d max screen ao.
  • tyl3r
    Hey Jason, scene is comping along nicely... I think the stair railings need to be beefed up a bit, they look a tad small to me. Seems like the bake turned out well! You'll have to teach me a bit of nDo sometime, i've been wanting to try it out but haven't got the time...

Anyway, keep up the goodness!