Home Technical Talk

Tablet PC annoyances BEGONE!

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
Hi guys, i wrote a little script which will (hopefully) kill anything related to the Tablet PC Service.

It will disable the whole dinky-blinky stuff like the shitty ring when pressing a button on your pen and so on(you know what i mean).

All that´s left is a tablet which just works without the standart windows annoyances.

For everyone who is brave enough to try, here you go:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1114083/KillTabletShit.rar

If you find any bugs, state them here.
If it works for you, please leave a message here too :)
If you want to thank me, using your tablet with joy is enough for me(but a little thanks can´t harm either :poly124: )

Update:
I took my time to code a convenient little program which runs in the tray, with 2 modes:
Non-Automatic: You can either disable or enable the tablet services
Automatic: The program looks for predefined exe files(you can open a small window with maximize..., where you can edit what you want watched)
If one of the defined programs is running it will disable the services.
If none of the defined progams are running it will enable the services again.

The program will enable the services on exit.

Known Issues:
- You can start more then one instance of the program, be sure to only start it once for now ;)

The file:
As .rar: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1114083/TAB/TAB.rar
As .ziphttp://dl.dropbox.com/u/1114083/TAB/TAB.zip

PS:IF somebody knows some ways to get rid of it besides killing wisptis.exe and disabling the Tablet PC Input Service, state them here and i will try to build them in :)

Replies

• Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    If you have Windows 7 Business or Ultimate, you can run gpedit.msc
    In there go to:
    User Configuration > Adminstrative Templates > Windows Components > Tablet PC > Cursors
    Then set the "Turn Off Pen Feedback" to "enabled".
    Easiest way to do it in 7 I think, least destructive also.
  • SpeCter
    Offline / Send Message
    But this doesn´t disable everything , you still will get feedback for holding and pressing(as stated in the description).

Unfortunately i can´t add that, because not everyone has Business/Ultimate(or Professional which also has gpedit)

Disabling the Tablet stuff is also very non-destructive, just the regedit and wisptis part are non reversable atm(you will get it back if you reinstall the wacom drivers if i´m not mistaken though)

Maybe i will make a version which lets you also revert everything done by it(but who would want that stuff back?)
  • raul
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    believe it or not, silverligth makes use of these things. So disabling this deal fucked up my netflix! For 1 months i wondered why i couldn't watch netflix. Then i turned it the pen services again. And boom...i could watch movies again! Yet, i get the annoying cursor issue.

Others things it messed up. My games, i wasnt able to play steam games for that same period of time. They keep freezing up on me. I have windows 7 home edition.
  • SpeCter
    Offline / Send Message
    Hm... steam is running smooth as ever for me, not sure why this happens to you.
    Nevermind.

Maybe you should consider to make a little script to enable and disable it at will( i could modifiy my version not to delete the wisptis.exe, but to close it, that way it will come back if you need it)
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    thanks SpeCter this is always. always had a hard time keeping this dumb pen shit off seeing as how I have Home instead of the nicer version of windows with there fancy gpedit.msc

cant wait to get home and use this :)
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    The Silverlight dependence is retarded yeah, it's also a reason why I don't want to destroy these processes.
  • SpeCter
    Offline / Send Message
    I never knew about that, since i don´t use silverlight at all :(
    Maybe i really should make a more pleasant way for people who use Silverlight it´s not that hard.

Edit: Here you go, this won´t delete wisptis, it will just kill the task and set the service to disabled if disabling was choosen.If you choose to enable it will set it back to auto and hopefully restart wisptis.exe(if not please leave a comment)

Could someone who uses Silverlight please test this?(I don´t have wisptip anymore, can´t really be sure if everything works)

If won´t delete anything.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1114083/TabletPCbeGentle.bat
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    SpeCter wrote: »
    Edit: Here you go, this won´t delete wisptis, it will just kill the task and set the service to disabled if disabling was choosen.If you choose to enable it will set it back to auto and hopefully restart wisptis.exe(if not please leave a comment)

Could someone who uses Silverlight please test this?(I don´t have wisptip anymore, can´t really be sure if everything works)

If won´t delete anything.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1114083/TabletPCbeGentle.bat

Works great ! Awesome ! :poly124:
    (And I have Silverlight installed)
  • SpeCter
    Offline / Send Message
    Happy to hear that and i got another idea, maybe i can write a trayprogramm which scans for programs like 3dsmax,Maya,XSI and stuff every 5 minutes or so and disables the service like now.
    And if none of the programs are present enable it :)

Anyone willing to help/test, leave me a message here or pm me. I will look into it after domwar(or maybe during it, not sure)
  • sltrOlsson
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
  • Mrskullface
    Thanks you saved me from slamming my computer against a fish tank :]
  • SpeCter
    Offline / Send Message
    Never thought i would save lives with it(even if it´s the live of fish)
    Happy that it works for everyone :)
  • SpeCter
    Offline / Send Message
    New Version out, this time with more features, a little tray icon and automatic mode(see first post for description)!

Let me know what you think and post any issues you have(if there are some).
    Ideas for changes are always welcome :)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1114083/TAB/TAB.rar

PS: You need the newest redist package to run it!
    http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/confirmation.aspx?id=5555
  • Avanthera
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Nice! Huge thanks for coming up with and posting this!
  • SpeCter
    Offline / Send Message
    As always a pleasure :)
    In the next days i´ll post an update which will contain some cosmetical changes and possible bugfixes(atm it´s possible that, if you have automatic mode enabled and it´s in the process of enabling or disabling the tablet pc services and you disable automatic mode then, that it stops during the process)

List of planned things:
    - UI changes(For now it looks a little bit plain)
    - Different icons(Automatic mode, Services on/off)
    - Option to define how often the program checks for running processes
    - random small Bugfixes
    - Make it so that the message saying that the program is running doesn´t come up anymore when you clicked on it

I´m thinking of adding an Exceptionlist which overrides any try to disable the tablet services if one of the programs is running(like programs which need wisptis)
    What do you people think?

Any suggestions are welcome, feel free to give some :)
  • SpeCter
    Offline / Send Message
    Updatetime!

- The program now has new trayicons to show if the services are enabled or disabled.
    - No command window popping up when it enables/disables the tablet services anymore!
    - Some bugfixes which could result some unwanted behaviour.

As Zip: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1114083/TAB/TAB.zip
    As Rar: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1114083/TAB/TAB.rar
  • BeatKitano
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    Very cool man, I can now delete my batch script exec in 3dsmax startup :)
    Thanks for that nice progie !
  • disanski
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    ohh sweet ... finally thanks man
  • eyo
    Offline / Send Message
    eyo polycounter lvl 9
    thanks so much this was driving me nuts! :-)
  • JFixby
    How to delete wisptis.exe
    1) Run Command Prompt under Administrator mode
    2) print
    cd C: \windows\system32, Enter
    3) print
    MOVE wisptis.exe wisptis.exe_, Enter
    4) in case of failure at the step 3, you need to become the owner of the file by printing
    cacls wisptis.exe /G @username@:F where the @username@ is your username.
    Example, how to add a full control permission to a group of users
    CACLS wisptis.exe /E /G “SomeUsers”:F
    5) print
    MOVE wisptis.exe wisptis.exe_, Enter

Should work.
  • SpeCter
    Offline / Send Message
    Removing it is not an option for some people, for example silverlight depends on it. An older version of my tool removed it and i made a new one just for the fact that some people needed it ;)

Edit:

Maybe i´ll finish my newer version which is easier to use and faster. Unfortunately i didn´t have time to fully finish and update it up till now.