Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Shark Model

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
Hello , this is one of my first time creature works so I would really not mess up things from the beginning and have to go back on the model itself when I am already making the rigging and the animations ...

I wopuld like any possible criticism on that please so that I can fix it ...
It has to be a low poly model for Crytek engine for my Island work ....

Pleae let me know what you think ....

sharkmodel.jpg

Replies

• jimmypopali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good shape wise. Could we see some perspective shots without the bright pink wire? I'm looking at the fin tips shading going on.
  • Andrew Mackie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can you post your reference too?
    Otherwise I don't know what type of shark it is :p
    Looks good so far, overall shape is looking nice but I would push the angles of the front fins more.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Sure here are the references and the PErspective ...

shortfinmakosharkfbcopy.gif

this is bit stretched I used other images online then to make a more fatty shark ....

then here is in perspective ...

sharkmodel2.jpg
  • Andrew Mackie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My sharkology (not a real word) may be off, but I think that's a Mako Shark.
    Here is some more ref for the front fins.
    i0t2Y.jpg
    n695t.jpg
    In these you can see the fins inset more into the body of the shark and there is more detail in the gills as well. (of course those can be tackled with normal maps)

This is just a kickass picture I found a while ago with sharks in it as well.
    pt6nw.jpg
    :)
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    It's blobby, doesn't have any clear defined shapes. Instead of making everything smooth and round, add some interesting shapes here and there. And like Andrew said, take note of the anatomy of real animals. Such as the inset fins, and that their mouths are 'longer'.

weregonnaneedabiggerboat.PNG
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Here is a new update on the shark , I tried to add edgeloops around the parts that I should animate like mouth , fins and tail , what do you think? Correct my model please ... and thankyou for all your kind sugestions :) ......

sharkmodel.jpg
  • Sebeuroc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebeuroc polycounter lvl 13
    The form looks a lot better now. Do you have a tri count that you're aiming for with this? It seems kind of high for something that's supposed to be low poly.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Well its 1500 polys so far , I have a trees even higher than that but I will make lods anyway , I think I could allow as much as up to 3000 .....I still need to put eyes and teeths ... but I want to review the shape first , fix it , then texture it and I want it well prepared to be rigged so please tell me if all the edge loops are fine and how I could make the skeleton like = I want to move the eyes and also make the jaw move as well as the fins and the tail ....

and all has to go into crytek engine wich I didn't understand anything of what it needs to be placed inside :/ .....
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking cool man. I'm expecting to see some razor sharp teeth in there with the next update :P.

Reminds me of when I was a kid, I would draw sharks all day. Was my favorite thing to draw.

I think that the fins on the underside, near the tail look a little odd. if you are going from the reference image you posted I don't think it matches up too well.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks but how do I do to rig it so that it works in crysis ? I mena what kind of bone system I need to make?
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Here is the Uvmapped Shark , what u think?

sharkuvmap.jpg
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    Nice model but you have a lot of wasted UV space. For one you should probably cut the eye out so it can have the sort of detail that might be expected in that area. Also you could easily fit some teeth (maybe three or four types that you can duplicate around) in all that space.

Obligatory:

Singingshark.jpg
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Here I think is the final Model .....

sharkmodel3.jpg
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Here is with some texture over it ....

sharkmodeltextured.jpg

sharkmodeltextured2.jpg
  • GreyPhoenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good so far.
    I think it would be a good idea to add more contrast to the texture and give him some scratches ect.
    You can see those marks I am talking about on the references Andrew posted.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still lacking the socket, and an eye is never that far outside of the head -> it'd pop out completely.

shark2.jpg

How many polies is it now? I think you're being rather spendy in places you don't nee to be, while overseeing other parts. For example, you have 2 or 3 redundant loops in the lips you have not modeled the gills, even though they're a very important detail and they're pretty cheap to implement. Nostrils could also be nice.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    I tought gills could go with simple normal maps , yes the eye i need to make more bumpy around and the eye more inside , even the texture for now is more or less a fast rough couse I wanted to pass to make the bones , rig and animate to see if all the work I am doing has an effect ingame ....
  • SadamHu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That looks awesome man! My only crit would be that it looks a little
    too much like a great white. He just looks a little bit heavy to
    be a mako. PREEMO MAN!!!
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    ok I wronged I actually followed references for a Great White lol ....
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Well at least I have been able to put it ingame and make it work with a crap fast made animation ^^ ... I know it doesn't look that great but I have to refine and work on it better ...

sharkingame.jpg
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    I refined a bit more the model , fixing a bit the shape of head , mouth , eye part and added some details on fins , I think it shoudl be pretty final now , the texture is a fast rough version to see it more textured ....

what you think?

squalofinale.jpg
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How did you blend the 2 textures, the grey and the white? It looks very blurry and rather meh - If you look at real sharks, the change is a lot more sudden and blotchy, and not as soft. If you've got them as 2 layers, with 1 layermask in Photoshop, you can quite fast fix it by applying a filter to the layermask I think.

Also - in engine you're missing the eyes.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Actually I pasted with Mudbox the skin transition of a real shark but may be is the wrong shark?
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can we see the image?
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Its front fins are really too close to its head/too far up "front" on its body, move them back farther - take a look at your reference.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Anyway here is the new Texture of the shark how does it look ?

sharknewtexture.jpg