Home General Discussion

Toronto / Toronto Area Polycounters

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
If this thread tells me anything, there's a number of you. Why the hell haven't you done a Polycount meet-up yet? Toronto + London + Polycount = A GOOD TIME TO BE HAD

I'll sit here and tap my foot while I wait for an excuse!

Replies

• MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Is Ubi T.O. accessible by ttc? or are they in some industrial park out in Markham.
  • Purplepaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Purplepaint polycounter lvl 8
    While im not currently in Toronto, i plan to be moving there in about 1.5 years or so. I am finishing up a college program here, and my girlfriend has a fashion program there. so :)
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    MagicSugar wrote: »
    Is Ubi T.O. accessible by ttc? or are they in some industrial park out in Markham.

Part of Markham is actually accessible by ttc. They also have their own transit which covers the rest of Markham area.

Excuse to ADAM:

ummm...because I am currectly doing software engineering at college and studying game programming as well as 3d / 2d stuff at home, which gives very, very, extremely least time to look out for anyone interested in group projects. :(

Also I havent started any projects on my own so no one would be interested anyways.

Thats my legit excuse. I'll wait for the rest.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    We're too busy actually watching the leafs win.

j/k I would be up for one.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Ubi Toronto is at the west side of downtown. There are a few indie developers in the area too.

I guess we are having a big of a resurgence of the industry in the area so a polycount meet and greet is in order!

Shall I rally the troops ?
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ouu....kayy...since you guys have this meeting in order, I'd like to participate.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse wrote: »
    Ubi Toronto is at the east side of downtown.

Sweet. You guys are lucky.

Downtown, outside of the tourist traps, is awesome.

Hope those studios stay there a long time.:thumbup:
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 15
    Fuse wrote: »
    Ubi Toronto is at the east side of downtown. There are a few indie developers in the area too.

I guess we are having a big of a resurgence of the industry in the area so a polycount meet and greet is in order!

Shall I rally the troops ?

Yes, you should.

I'd make the trip into the city for a fun night; I'm a mere 45 mins south of TO.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Ubi Toronto is a 5 minute walk from one of the subway stations. so yes, accessible from the TTC

as for toronto meet up. id be down!
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    MagicSugar: Amen to that. More high profile developers are always a welcome sight.
    Nitewalkr: You are always welcome you weirdo. :)

So shall we set a tentative date to sink down a few suds?
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    adam wrote: »
    If this thread tells me anything, there's a number of you. Why the hell haven't you done a Polycount meet-up yet? Toronto + London + Polycount = A GOOD TIME TO BE HAD

I'll sit here and tap my foot while I wait for an excuse!

Urghhhhh, but that would get in the way of my sitting at home doing nothing time
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    I'm a pseudo PCer... hoping to get my ass in gear and actually get some stuff done worthy of pc though. :P I'm in ottawa but wouldn't be a stretch to go down to the t.

Had a massive back injury this year so having issues sitting in front of a computer... which sucks cause my new cintiq beckons like a cheap harlot. Sitting 5 hours in a car down to t. is a bit uncomfortable atm.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight wrote: »
    I'm a pseudo PCer... hoping to get my ass in gear and actually get some stuff done worthy of pc though. :P I'm in ottawa but wouldn't be a stretch to go down to the t.

Had a massive back injury this year so having issues sitting in front of a computer... which sucks cause my new cintiq beckons like a cheap harlot. Sitting 5 hours in a car down to t. is a bit uncomfortable atm.

*confused*
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mistry10 polycounter lvl 8
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    toronto here aswell, actually live just down the street from ubi on lansdowne ave. would def. be up for a meet and drink
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Mistry10 wrote: »
    VAN CITY 4 LIFE !

fixed that for you :)
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF wrote: »
    lansdowne ave. would def. be up for a meet and drink

Do they still have the grungy hoods where the stripper joints are? Been out of t.o. for ages but I still miss the roti and souvlaki shoppes. But maybe they've gentrified those areas too.

My ideal perk would be, if living in either van or toronto, is to have one day where you can work anywhere you want outside the studio and just connect to work via secure vpn.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar wrote: »
    Do they still have the grungy hoods where the stripper joints are? Been out of t.o. for ages but I still miss the roti and souvlaki shoppes. But maybe they've gentrified those areas too.

My ideal perk would be, if living in either van or toronto, is to have one day where you can work anywhere you want outside the studio and just connect to work via secure vpn.

You mean Brass Rail? and other stripper joints in line? No man thats Queen street, King street and church street area. He is talking about Lansdown Ave which is located at a little higher point of here you are thinking.
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    So whats the deal with the Toronto area meetup. Im interested to no more.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ You guys can meet up in downtown Toronto.

Over all, now we know why there wasnt any "Toronto PC meet-up" thread. :)
  • VPrime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    Wish I could make it.. but I am located in london, and I dont trust my car enough to go out of town ;)
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mistry10 polycounter lvl 8
    ae. wrote: »
    fixed that for you :)

Buddi ! what to do ? :P
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
    I am in london, party at my place.
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    *confused*

I lurk moar than I post :poly142:, but I've worked in mobile games and tv animation, trying to get into higher end games... hence the lurking and less the posting.

btw. I digress and ramble.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight wrote: »
    I lurk moar than I post :poly142:, but I've worked in mobile games and tv animation, trying to get into higher end games... hence the lurking and less the posting.

btw. I digress and ramble.

lol, I know lurking (or reading for knowledge) and less posting or posting when it is absolutely necessary is a good practice here but, at this point I dont really care because I am not looking forward to impress some guy to hire me as a 3d artist. I are here to makez friends with othah mid 3d artist pcers and has fun :poly142:
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Alright boys...

I know many of you would be coming out of city bounds so perhaps somewhere close to Union station would be best ?

The esplanade has quite a few cozy pubs and it's in the heart of downtown so perhaps that could make for a nice little meet and greet..

What's the headcount so far ?