Home General Discussion

Blizzard's "next gen MMO" goes unannounced

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
ZacD ngon master
Blizzcon 2010 didn't mention anything about the next gen MMO they are hiring for. It'll probably be another year before we found out those polycounters at blizzard are up to... LETS SPECULATE :D

Replies

• Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ...Why would they?=]

It's probably a bigger project than Diablo 3 and Starcraft II combined.
    Seriously, I don't think they would even think of announcing the new MMO when Diablo 3, a single player game, hasn't even been released.

It's ages out ;P

Ps. Zac, how the hell did you get 2k more posts than me and you joined at the same time. Adam got annoyed at me for posting a lot ! Hah
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    low definition does not equal low quality though :P
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Well starcraft 2 looks better than WoW at the the same zoom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=iv&v=GfoU_EC9Ul8

I hope they make it it look at good as starcraft 2's in game cinematics, but yeah, the timing for a new mmo seems weird, with D3 (and probably its expansion) coming out right before it, and D2 had one of the biggest online communities.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Death Wing will be down, Starcraft's sequels will be out and Diablo 3 will be played...

Then they will announce it XD I'm just saying, it's such a big deal.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Word on the street is that we won't hear anything til 2012.

Im beginning to think the 'Next-Gen MMO' actually means the 'Next Warcraft MMO' with more current graphics a-la SC2 (realtime cutscenes).

My reason for thinking this is that they are highly unlikely to release another MMO alongside the worlds most successful MMO and keep them running simultaneously. It would hurt the profits of one of them for obvious reasons. I mean, you can't play 2 at once right?

I think this is why we won't see an announcement any time soon. Blizzard have said they want to get at least a couple more expansions out of WoW and raising the level cap to only 85 this time seems to me that is because they have room for a few more before 'level 100'. That's my thoughts anyway.

Maybe it will be a new IP, who knows. I just can't imagine a new IP from them. And the SC / Diablo lore doesn't seem deep enough to form an MMO from in comparison to what they had with WC 1/2/3.

I could be completely wrong of course but that's my two cents.

It could in fact just be that the world isn't yet prepared for the product of such incredible talent that we all know and love from Polycount. Minds will be blown.

Whatever it is though, we know it'll be a top quality product. One thing I like about Blizzard is that they don't rush things. Even if it is frustrating to wait.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I think you're wrong on the lore, but I don't know how well they could pull off a space MMO, and D3 is already an RPG.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WoW will still be running, but it'll be free to play while the new MMO will be out. People will be slowly migrating to the brand new MMO while WoW will be F2P, allowing people to just play it for what it is. I mean, that makes sense right? Blizzard might put in a micro transaction market into the F2P WoW while the biggest income will be from the new MMO. It's not a Warcraft franchise mmo.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    They totally announced it, at the tenacious D show.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I think its a starcraft mmo, makes sense I guess. Diablo mmo would be too similar to warcraft as both are medieval fantasy at heart and warcraft always had a larger scale storyline. Starcraft is thier only other really big ip that would get a large playing audience day 1 so therefore its a starcraft mmo.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    I want to know!!!!
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    What I've seen/heard/read it's a new IP. My bet's with that even though Blizzard isn't really known for their new IP's.

Makes much more sense than Diablo or Starcraft to me but hey, Who knows? (Except those shady sneaky Polycounter-Blizzarders).
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    I have a feeling as far as tech is concerned they will use a heavily modified SC2 engine just like they had done with the WC3 engine also if you look at the timeline correlation between Warcraft 3 and WoW there was only 2 years between the two games so I can imagine a Next-Gen MMO release in the next 2-3 years thats if they really don't have plans for more WoW expansions.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I have no idea what direction Blizzard would go with a new IP, they have a scifi game, a fantasy game, and a dark fantasy game.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    ZacD wrote: »
    I have no idea what direction Blizzard would go with a new IP, they have a scifi game, a fantasy game, and a dark fantasy game.

If you use what you just said here it shouldn't be too hard to have an idea of what way they might go...stylized modern.

It would be foolish for Blizzard to announce anything for a good long while. They have to many games on deck right now that announcing another would just steal away spotlight from the games they have, which they don't want to do.
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    Zombie apocalypse? Western? Post apocalypse? Stylized modern as autocon said, etc. :)
  • Purplepaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Purplepaint polycounter lvl 8
    I do believe it was said somewhere in a interview or something, that this game will literally have nothing to do with anything they've ever made(or warcraft atleast).

(cant find the resource right now since its quite old, but if i do ill post it).
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    Making another warcraft mmo (or starcraft mmo) seems pointless imo. If Blizzard is doing what I would think they would do, they make a step through mmo, which showcases whatever new ideas they are going for, using a new ip, then in the future after that, make a new Warcraft mmo and/or something else to capture the audiences for whatever path they go down.

This way they don't compete against themselves, make a new product to experiment with, and enable themselves in the future to adapt for, or maintain whatever the MMO players are excited about. They also generate a new ip, which keeps them fresh, and keeps them from muddying or diluting their existing brands, and did I say they don't have to compete with themselves directly? Right.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Warcraft isn't what keeps WoW so popular at all. Not even half the people who play wow ever played any of the Warcraft games.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Warcraft is similar enough to fantasy MMOs, so it was good, obvious, idea.
  • Purplepaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Purplepaint polycounter lvl 8
    ZacD wrote: »
    Warcraft is similar enough to fantasy MMOs, so it was good, obvious, idea.

^
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    come on guys... its obvious... they have the rights to it!

redneck-rampage.jpg
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    rock_n._roll_racing-171708-2.jpeg
    You know it's coming.
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    I think it was last year's blizzcon where they stated that one of the reasons they were making a new MMO was the fact that all things come to an end, and that if there is ever to be a WoW killer, they may as well be the ones making it. :)

What I take from that is that they want it to 'move' the WoW player base when it's all done and dusted. It just seems like they will only release this when WoW has come to it's very end (probably story wise more than anything else), so I was honestly not expecting any announcement. I think that right now, blizzard doesn't need the extra attention, and they don't want to distract people from their current franchises (hell, let's just say WoW) while they are still pushing out expansions for them.

Right now the focus seems to be on WoW, Cataclysm and further expansions, they want people to be excited about WoW for many more years to come. :)

IMO ^
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    clever idea to not announce it. The sooner you announce something the sooner you have to deliver, which ain't a good thing for a company that goes by the "it's ready when it's ready motto". And right now WoW is still going STRONG, so why take away from the hype built up for Cataclysm? Also they have Diablo 3 coming up too for people who're not into MMOs.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yeah WoW cataclysm is launching right away, we don't know when diablo 3 will be out, but I'd guess at least a year, they will want to have it in beta for at least 4 months. Starcraft's 1st expansion will also be a big deal next blizcon, so yeah I don't know if they will even announce it next year.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    00Zero wrote: »
    'nuff said.

the_lost_vikings.png
    oh please not these logic freaks again :(
  • Koke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it will be a completely new franchise.
    I can´t wait to know what it is, but these guys are so perfectionist that they will probably wait until they have a completely shiny polished product to show.
    I don't expect any announcement until at least 2012 (too bad the world ends that very same year :poly124: )

:)

JK.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    It would greatly surprise me if blizzard made anything that *wasn't* sci-fi or fantasy. I think I remember reading on the blizzard forums that it was going to be a new franchise. This was a blue post there. But nothing else was mentioned. I actually hope they stick with fantasy, that would be super win.
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    i have no idea how zerg would fit into an mmorpg as a playable race. they don't carry any gear and most zerg units pretty much have only 1 attack. a sc mmorpg where you could only play terran and protoss characters and zerg only being an npc race? i dunno about that.

if i had to guess i'd say it's a new ip, scifi, but not in a starcraft way. if that makes any sense.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    no, they need to make a sci fi game mmo. there has yet to be a good sci fi mmo. they all fail horribly. some start off good, but quickly suck. but, yes, its suppose to be a new IP. meaning no warcraft, starcraft or diablo. its about time....
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Online RPG Bookstore game imo
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    ot: why does blizzard own the rights to redneck rampage?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    slipsius wrote: »
    no, they need to make a sci fi game mmo. there has yet to be a good sci fi mmo. they all fail horribly. some start off good, but quickly suck. but, yes, its suppose to be a new IP. meaning no warcraft, starcraft or diablo. its about time....

I'd love to see a good sci fi MMO.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well there is The Old Republic coming out relatively soon. I doubt I'll be playing it, but it shouldn't be bad at all. I'm always going to be a sucker for fantasy though.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    With upcoming games such as blade & Soul and Tera... for 2012 i expect better things!!!
  • sheckee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sheckee polycounter lvl 9
    Blizzminilogo.gif
    Zarhym's quote: (Source)
    We have nothing to advertise for the new MMO because it's a shell of a game thus far. We've already stated it'll be a brand new franchise, which means the lore, art, and game play are being developed entirely from scratch. It's an overwhelming process, but a process through which we excel. Our track record supports this.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's what I thought. ;)
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    Blaizer wrote: »
    With upcoming games such as blade & Soul and Tera... for 2012 i expect better things!!!

is TERA actually happening ? I heard they got taken to court.. something bout stolen code that was meant for L3.

on topic: a new IP would be awesome and one that didnt have fugly cartoony avvies would rock even harder..
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Yeah, it will happen :)

I'm also awating a new IP, but who knows... for a new mmorpg, i imagine something related to fantasy like all the other mmos, or if it's something futuristic, kind of RF Online.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    I couldn't care less about their new MMO (right now atleast). I JUST WANT A DIABLO 3 DATE! ><
    I really did expect a release date announcement for Diablo 3 at this year's Blizzcon. :(
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I personally cant wait for Warcraft 4
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    Blaizer wrote: »
    Yeah, it will happen :)

I'm also awating a new IP, but who knows... for a new mmorpg, i imagine something related to fantasy like all the other mmos, or if it's something futuristic, kind of RF Online.

it will ?? 2012 release ? tell me tell me !! or I wil start dipping kittens in fish sauce and using them for shark bait !
  • wasker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
    2012 release? Not likely. My prediction of Blizzard's upcoming releases would be some like this:

• mid 2011 starcraft2: heart of the swarm
    • mid 2012 starcraft 2: protoss campaign
    • mid 2012- early 2013 mmo announce (I believe they said that they would announce the mmo 2012 at the blizzcon that just ended)
    • Late 2012- early 2013 Diablo3
    • 2013 World of warcraft: expansion
    • 2014 Diablo 3 Expansion
    • 2015 Next gen mmo
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    As if Diablo 3 won't be out next year.. Possibly early 2012, but I think headed into 2013 is a bit much.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Also, aren't the sc2 expansions on an 18 month schedule each?
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah your planning is all over. I bet D3 is out before the SC2 expansion.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Aye, I'm guessing D3 Xmas of 2011.
  • wasker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
    Some googling confirmed the 18 month release for the sc2 expansions so In that case; Yes, I agree D3 will probably be out before the second sc2 expansion hit the shelves. I still think they'll wait till 2012 with Diablo 3 though. I hope I'm wrong :) But given their current track record I wouldn't say it's impossible they'll release another wow expansion in 2013 and their new mmo as far ahead as 2015. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
    I'd rather have a Blizzard quality game than anything else.