Home General Discussion

Age discrimination

I'm 27 and once i get 5 years experience under my belt will I be too old.Is there age discrimination in the industry.What's the oldest you've heard of for a character artist or environment artist?Is it harder to land a job when your older?

Replies

• Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Age discrimination is illegal, you don't see alot of people in their 40's working production because they either wise up and go into producer/manager roles or wise up and leave the game industry.
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    Just do good work and have a good attitude, age don't matter.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Getting freelance, remote work is more reliant on your portfolio and/or networking skills regardless whether you're a minor, high schooler, or a retiree. You don't have to wait for years just so you can get on a pro gig. Portfolio is just to snag interviews or possible commissions. Don't bother attempting masterpieces all the time. Short and sweet works fine.

For in-house, if you watch behind-the-scenes extras in games like Uncharted 2, Starcraft 2 you'll see mixed ages in the staff. Particulary with Blizzard, since they have original vets since last century ago. :)

I've met and got tutoring from a Russian concept artist who has worked on the original Mass Effect. I was shocked when I first met him cuz he looked like a tenured college professor, white hair and all. So obviously he got hired because of his skills rather than the fact that he's decades older than his concept art dept colleagues.

If you're going for on site jobs, if you don't have a problem working or being bossed by younger people or you being a grouch to them cuz of pride (cuz of the way they crit your work, for example) you shouldn't worry about it.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    I've never understood this idea that in order to be successful in CG, you have to be a senior / lead artist by your mid-twenties, or that you're too old if you're approaching thirty or older.

Seriously man, I know you have questions, but if you spent as much time working and practising as you do starting threads, you'd probably progress more quickly.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    logans-run-palm-flower.jpg
    3 more years and you start running...
  • Jacecr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Seriously man, I know you have questions, but if you spent as much time working and practising as you do starting threads, you'd probably progress more quickly."

I start threads while I'm at work.I only wish I could be at home modeling.9-5 is prison time.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    looking around the studio here most of the dudes are in their 30's or late 20's. at almost every job I have worked at I have been the youngest person there.

I don't think age matters at all really, attitude and skill are what is important. there are plenty of people who are in their mid 30's-40's in this biz.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Personally from my own experience reviewing portfolios, when I see someone who has 8-12+ years of experience, they tend to be *very* good, or quite behind the times in terms of being up to date with current tech. There are a lot of really talented guys that fit that bill, but i think most of them are going to be in a pretty solid work situation already, so you dont see them on the job market that much.

If i'm looking for someone, i'm looking for a guy who lives and breaths current tech, highpoly workflow, normals, etc. Often times a younger guy with 3 or less years of industry experience is going to fit that skillset better than someone older, simply because they've been knee deep in the current workflows, as apposed to guys who maybe were working on old-gen games for a good part of their work history.

So do we specifically look for younger guys? No, of course not, but is it a bad sign when someone has 10+ years of experience but can barely demonstrate the basic understanding of normals and bakes? Yes, certainly.

At the end of the day the only thing that matters is if your work is good, and you can keep up with current tech.
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    Can't strictly speak about the game industry, but when I was searching for my position as an intern 3d artist(arch viz, 3d, whatever) my age was a restriction. Was a bummer after being interviewed a few times to hear that I wasnt old enough... the only one thing I couldn't do anything about. :(. I'm nearly 20 at the moment and the company I'm working at atm also had their doubts about my age. While I hope I've proved them wrong, theres a 8 year gap between me and the second youngest person at the company.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    <--38 finished my degree in 2008. Got my game job in June 2008 until June 2010. Now still looking for another job. Looking for IT jobs. :D

I don't think it's a problem.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Personally from my own experience reviewing portfolios, when I see someone who has 8-12+ years of experience, they tend to be *very* good, or quite behind the times in terms of being up to date with current tech. There are a lot of really talented guys that fit that bill, but i think most of them are going to be in a pretty solid work situation already, so you dont see them on the job market that much.

If i'm looking for someone, i'm looking for a guy who lives and breaths current tech, highpoly workflow, normals, etc. Often times a younger guy with 3 or less years of industry experience is going to fit that skillset better than someone older, simply because they've been knee deep in the current workflows, as apposed to guys who maybe were working on old-gen games for a good part of their work history.

So do we specifically look for younger guys? No, of course not, but is it a bad sign when someone has 10+ years of experience but can barely demonstrate the basic understanding of normals and bakes? Yes, certainly.

At the end of the day the only thing that matters is if your work is good, and you can keep up with current tech.

I wish all interviewers thought like you. I've been interviewed by the older out of date guys before. It's a really tough situation trying to explain. You get, "So you create a whole new mesh over top? That seems very inefficient." Then in trying to explain, you don't want to come off as a know-it-all or make it seem like they don't know what they are talking about.

Even unrelated to my work, the fact that I have done a lot of it for online community competitions alienated some interviewers.
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    Zpanzer wrote: »
    Can't strictly speak about the game industry, but when I was searching for my position as an intern 3d artist(arch viz, 3d, whatever) my age was a restriction. Was a bummer after being interviewed a few times to hear that I wasnt old enough... the only one thing I couldn't do anything about. :(. I'm nearly 20 at the moment and the company I'm working at atm also had their doubts about my age. While I hope I've proved them wrong, theres a 8 year gap between me and the second youngest person at the company.

Did they specifically say you weren't old enough? or that you did not have enough experience?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I think age and experience is a very important distinction to make. In all my experience with interviews etc, "age" will almost never come up, and really, you're generally waiting until the in-person interview to find out someone's age. With freelance, it really never comes up, unless you're just casually chatting.

The only time when age is really a concern for me is when someone is in the 16-21 range, and they're finishing up highschool, or finishing up college, and aren't able to commit full time, so if I'm talking to someone about potentially doing work, and they give me the "I'm still in school" line, i'll ask them about their age, to get a sense of when they'll be finished with school and available for full time work, in the future.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump wrote: »
    ...It's a really tough situation trying to explain. You get, "So you create a whole new mesh over top? That seems very inefficient."
    Yea when they say that, just get up and walk out. Or ask where the bathroom is at, and bolt for the front door the second they open the door. Everyone already working there will think "lucky bastard, he got away".
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    I got my first gig at 27, I'm 35 now.
    I haven't seen or heard of any age discrimination.

The only things which should really matter when interviewing are personality and skill vs experience, age is irrelevant.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    man all you old guys are chasing off all the young hot chicks coming into my industry..

....oh, wait a second...
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    Age discrimination is illegal, you don't see alot of people in their 40's working production because they either wise up and go into producer/manager roles or wise up and leave the game industry.

or

the other way.
    in their 40s they want to be more independent, making more quality art according to their ideal.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I am 42 and still have loads of ambitions , but the way things are going the industry is very insecure right now and employers can afford to be choosy.
    BTW LCP in london turned me down for a place on their computer graphics course because they thought I was too old at 27.What utter BS:)
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Age discrimination is illegal,

Im sure that stops them.

dilbert2006040261702.jpg
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    most of the guys at bungie for envio side at least were in the mid/late 20's to late 30's/early 40's. Huge range but most were in there early to mid 30's. I was actually not only the youngest environment guy on the team I was also the youngest person at the studio (22 at the time now 23) and a fact a few of the more seasoned vets didnt shy away from pointing out in a laughing joking matter from time to time. There was no discrimination with my age being young, they set me tasks as they would anyone else and expected me to do them. If there was something I didnt know none of the guys had a problem helping out.

One of the first conversations I had with my boss when interning at SOE was he asked me my age and when I said 21, he said wow my son turned 21 a couple of months ago. totally made me feel like a child lol.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    We had LOTS of seniors at MPC in London. When I worked there people below 25 were either rare or they worked as runners.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I was 21 when I started working professionally. I'm 30 now. Although I have several shipped games and 9yrs experience I would say I'm a bit behind the times. I know how to model hipoly somewhat decently and I know how to bake normals and create finished assets for modern engines. What I lack is a definitive and efficient workflow for it. The games I've worked on the last 6yrs haven't used normal maps (at least from hires models) so I don't get that constant bombardment that you might get elsewhere. I have to learn it in my spare time, which, as I grow older I like to spend other ways. So it's been a bit of a struggle for me to adapt to the most modern techniques, but I sure as hell wouldn't say I'm out of the game (lame industry analogy ftw!) yet.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    the good thing is, everyone in this industry gets older every day ;)

The reason you see many people age 20 - 30 in games companies isn't necessary age discrimination. It could also be the fact that the industry is very young and just started growing like mad in the last 15 - 20 years, when teens and young people made their choice to pursue a career in games.
    Anyone older (50+) in this industry is either a long time vet who started with DOS or Amiga games or someone who changed careers. But back in the Amiga days teams weren't as big as they're now, so there's much less professional game devs still around from that era. And the number of 40+/50+ people who change careers to work in games is also likely very small.

But in a few years, when your colleagues are 40 and 50 you will notice that the age in studios in general climbs up too and it will be normal that older people make games for a younger generation (or maybe it will also be common to see many more people aged 50+ playing video games than it is now, because they grew up with them) - just like older people working on cartoons, comedies and so on.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Wasn't age also in that report not to long ago about how 90% of the industry is less then 5 years vets??
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    Did they specifically say you weren't old enough? or that you did not have enough experience?

Since it was an internship I was applying for, my limited experience wasnt the problem. They said they where worried about how good I would work in a production line and if I was mature enough to handle projects.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    I don't think that most companies discriminate at all. In fact, most of the people I know tend to prefer young blood when it comes to the games industry mainly because the young guys are super passionate about their work, and many of them are extremely good at what they do because they aren't afraid to learn new things.

I got a job in a game studio here in Montreal about a month ago. When I went for the interview, the guys who interviewed me were impressed that I was only 19 years old. I think to some people, someone young actually impressed them, as opposed to discriminating and judging them. I'm the youngest artist here by a good solid 6 years. I get lots of jokes about it, but hey, it's all cool! :)
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Prophecies wrote: »
    most of the people I know tend to prefer young blood when it comes to the games industry

that's an example of age discrimination. OP is worried that he'll be discriminated against for being too old.

It's in the same boat as race, sex, religion, or disability discrimination -- it's illegal but it doesn't mean it doesn't happen . I'd hazard it happens less in this biz, as far as I've seen the game industry is more open minded and less petty than other corporate jobs.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Errrr right. I completely misread the OPs post. Fuck me, I shouldn't be browsing these threads when I'm too tired. Sorry about that! Though I would agree with you on that Justin. I'm ready to be it does indeed happen less in this industry than it does in others. However, if you are passionate about your work and you are good at it, I don't think it will be much of an issue! I'm working with a few guys in their 40s here, and they are relatively new to the studio as well.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, as said before, it mostly comes down to your portfolio, the quality of your output.

In my 40's I'm at the older end. When I get turned down it's usually because the role is for a junior's pay rate (so I would be a flight risk), or else they're looking for a particular skillset that I don't quite match (specific console experience).

I do understand the concern with hiring someone too young or inexperienced. The person doing the hiring wants to make sure the hiree will be dependable and that they won't cave in when the shit hits the fan.

But age really doesn't have much to do with that, that's one of the reasons for an interview, to suss out whether someone is sketchy or too nonchalant. Just make sure you show lots of energy and enthusiasm, do your homework on the company, show them you really want the spot and that you'll be the best worker they ever had. Enthusiasm counts for a lot!
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Jacecr wrote: »
    "Seriously man, I know you have questions, but if you spent as much time working and practising as you do starting threads, you'd probably progress more quickly."

I start threads while I'm at work.I only wish I could be at home modeling.9-5 is prison time.

Blender comes in a portable version, that you can run off a flash drive, no installs required. For the quiet times at work. :)