Home General Discussion

Medal Of Honor

ae.
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
ae. polycounter lvl 12
Finally some previews for this game which can be seen at the links posted below, I gotta say this game is shaping up and i cant wait to see how DICE handles the Multiplayer.

Something that struck me as odd was in the kotaku preview they mentioned that the game was being developed on two separate engines. The single-player will be using the Unreal Engine while the Multiplayer will be using DICE's Frostbite engine which is odd, anyone have any incite on why they would be doing this?

medal-of-honor-20100310070200320.jpg

http://pc.ign.com/articles/107/1076498p1.html
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/11/medal-of-honor-preview/
http://kotaku.com/5490733/medal-of-honor-is-coming-back-the-hard-way

Replies

• AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    DICE is doing the new MOH game? Hot damn!

[edit]
    Oh, the multiplayer. Still looks hot.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    I gotta say, I loved the animation from that old trailer, can't wait for this game :)
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Hopefully they can do something special with the mmultiplayer :)
  • SyedS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I bet that DICE has a couple of surprises for us.

I also love the more realistic approach the game is talking. Pretty cool they keep in touch with soldiers to make sure the games is authentic.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    The single-player will be using the Unreal Engine while the Multiplayer will be using DICE's Frostbite engine which is odd, anyone have any incite on why they would be doing this?
    It is pretty crazy, and from what I've heard it's very inefficient and expensive for them to be doing and they know it, but I think EA is very serious about challenging CoD and they want both studios to do the best they can with the engines they're most familiar with.

Still crazy, but that's one reason at least.
  • ae.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Jesus, I felt that trailer was very cringe worthy. I couldn't help but get dochechills when listening to the narration.

After rewatching the MW1 and 2 trailers you can definitely tell the attention to detail at IW spills over into the creation of the trailers. Audio, narration, film-like camera cuts and angles.

Granted, the trailer was probably hashed together by the PR/marketing gurus. It just felt very hamfisted.

I felt the mocap/keyframed animations in the trailer had some problems.

It's not that I dont feel the guys are putting in the effort, but the trailer really doesnt feel very compelling and gameplay sequences arent as fantastical. It's hard not to draw comparisons with the genre giant.

The trailer told me nothing of the game's alleged "brotherhood" direction and it almost felt like it cheapened the entire production.
  • Gilgamesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    DICE is doing it?

After playing the childish BC2 single player, I don't think I will try MoH what so ever.
  • Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin Henriksson polycounter lvl 9
    DICE isnt doing the singleplayer? They are doing the multiplayer and imo BFBC2 multiplayer is 10 times better then MW2 multiplayer and that is coming from a guy who has logged almost 400 hours of MW2.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    I love how both franchises fill completely different multiplayer needs. While the MW2 experience is much more focused and polished it's not nearly as EPIC as the larger scale infantry+vehicle engagements in BFBC2. That said BC is definitely less of a streamlined and polished playing experience. Typical floaty Battlefield movement physics and just the clumsiness of it all is a little hard to get used to after MW.

If MW is a precise and razor sharp gaming experience then the BC experience is a bulkier, clumsier but a much more grandiose brother.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Not sure about this one. MW 2 was a bit of a letdown in every way in my opinion, especially the PC edition, so maybe that and how I ended up feeling about BC 2 has left me kind of jaded.

But I'll hope it's fun, it doesn't look all that great visually though.. Character textures are very..bland and the eyes are completley dead.. Oh well, maybe it'll play well.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Fuse wrote: »
    Jesus, I felt that trailer was very cringe worthy. I couldn't help but get dochechills when listening to the narration.

To each there own i guess really liked the trailer personally, it could of used some better editing though.

From what I haveve seen so far this is defiantly a game i will be buying on day 1.
  • s0id3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s0id3 polycounter lvl 8
    I really like CoDs singleplayer but I never really like the multiplayer. I think with Dice handling MoH multiplayer it'll be pretty badass and epic if it can feel like battlefield.
  • Purplepaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Purplepaint polycounter lvl 8
    Played the pc beta multiplayer, and I was very sad.

My buddy just picked up the ps3 version he doesnt seem to mind it so... i guess its a preference thing.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    3 hrs?!
    What difficulty is that on?
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    I picked it up yesterday, so did my buddy. he beat it in 3 hours too, but ive heard playing on hard takes it up to 4 or 5, so that's what I'm playing on. then there is also the timed teir 1 mode to do for a delicious 100G achievement hahaha im such a whore.

I really enjoyed the beta and had a lot of fun last night online too, the audio in this game is just delicious. the fact you can die so quick and there is no killcam makes snipers effective and keeps you hunkered down behind cover, snapping off shots from med-long range, which i like. if you are a fan of running around knifing people or toting double shotguns then you might not like this game.

overall I'm enjoying it for sure, pretty nice lighting in most areas, and some nice texture work on the terrain.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    you paid $20 an hour to play that game, i canceled my preorder after the MoH beta, maps seemed hella small.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well yeah, but I like to get more playtime out of the game too multiplayer seemed way weak. Single player can rock and thats cool, but if there's multiplayer is weak then I'll wait until it goes in the $5 bin and I'll play the single player then been playing too much bad company 2, the maps I played in the MoH beta seemed like you could fit 3 or 4 MoH maps in one bad company 2 map.
  • Dim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dim polycounter lvl 10
    DKK, can you elaborate or your last post? I've been eyeing this game....
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3 hours? wtf. i was going to buy it but...i think ill wait for a 2nd hand copy. and people complain about MW2 story length...
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    3hrs in single player? you serious?, dammit - I just bought and installed it GRAAAAARGH!
    f**k - I may aswell go back to minecraft if i want quality...
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    wow 3hrs? thats not even worth a rental. shame looked like it could have been cool
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Autocon wrote: »
    wow 3hrs? thats not even worth a rental. shame looked like it could have been cool

I've read it's more like 5, but yea it's short. Actually, it's a great length for me. I like a short well made game, and the single player is supposed to be great.

(also you rent movies under 2 hours right?)
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir wrote: »

Not for $60 though..
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Not for $60 though..

You don't rent games for that price either. Either way, 3 hours or 5 is weak.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    Ever since this happened, I gave up.

2gw718w.png
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah the beta was bad. The fact I was running around just no scoping with the Draganov was just like wtf. Did they fix the giant orange text?
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I've always agreed with the sentiment that duration != value. Portal was short, but amazing. Sure it was cheap, practically free if you consider the bundle. But I would have gladly paid $60 for the full game.

With that said, the type of game that this is, 3 hours just seems like a major disappointment. MW2 was short (but longer), but at least told a really solid narrative, and was fantastically delivered.

Kind of a bummer, because obviously people will blame it on the guy with the beard!
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    Maybe they kept it short so that they could reel in the money by selling expansions of the story?

I could be wrong, I didn't purchase the game after the beta...
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    aesir wrote: »
    I've read it's more like 5, but yea it's short. Actually, it's a great length for me. I like a short well made game, and the single player is supposed to be great.

from what I have read it is a 3hour game on Normal (the difficultly most people will play) and only 5 if you play on hard. So that is a flag that the game is super short and is only increased in time played by making it harder to play/you die a lot more.

I dont subscribe to the short games = bad as portal is a great example and even MW2 kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time but from what I have read in reviews such as IGN the game is not only short but not really that fun/great minus a few moments.
  • catstyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hahaha man that screenshot is comedy gold
  • fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    Beat the game on hard in just under 4 hours. The game is heavily scripted in a lot of places. There were times where allies would call out "RPG @ 2 o'clock" or whatever - but some of those times I had already shot the guy before they were called out.

There is also an early stealth mission that relies on going a certain path. There is another one near the end of the game which is way better. Most of the game looks nice, but there's nothing especially memorable, and it's already turning kinda hazy.

I think Modern Warfare 2 left a longer lasting impression with its missions and it felt a lot longer too.
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    Is it worth buying this game?
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Its not even till the end of the game that the characters start really having a conversation enough to establish them as characters. Unfortunately, they're all one-dimensional and lacking in any kind of personality traits. There's no real motivation to want to keep going, other than "kill some more guys who look different than me, because I'm supposed to"

In COD4 and MW2, characters were clear. They had personality. The enemy was clear. It was overwhelmingly evil. There was a real drive to want to "get the horrible bad guy".

The length to me is not a huge deal, but I'm just disappointed that it was a fairly one-track, derivative, and uninspired game. But I did have a good time playing it.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff wrote: »

Possibly if you don't mind spending $60 on a 3 to 4 hour single player experience, with lackluster multiplayer experience.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    vofff wrote: »
    Buy Brink instead.
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    Oh dang and I almost wanna buy it, Brink looks really promising I hope it will not suck as MOH does.
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    3hours?! how the f**k do you manage that? i must be getting old...
  • Pogo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can agree with most of what's been said here.

Ran through the campaign on hard in just under 4 hours, with a good few deaths included in one particularly annoying section where it auto saved right after I'd gone "the hard way" and a scripted event refused to happen.

Apart from some glaring bugs I really enjoyed the SP. It looked good, sounded good and the weapons felt good. The story was none, the game was short, but it had some atmosphere and the military babble kept some kind of immersion.

Today I moved onto the multiplayer and I must say it is pretty bad. It's like it's intended to put off new players. Frostbite works well for battlefield, where larger scale slower paced combat is normal, but in the faster paced MoH setting, it shows it's flaws. Most of the time I'm killed by someone I cant see, from behind, or to the sides, and in the rare occasion that I'm not spawn camped or spammed to death, I may find someone to shoot. If I'm the only one shooting it's hit or miss as to whether they will die. there seemed to be no correlation between the number of hits and kills. if we're both shooting at each other I die. No questions.

there's no voice over or useful information about the mission status, so all game modes boil down to death match with some markers for stuff.
    It's been said around the web that it's intended for highly competitive play and a high skill ceiling yada yada ya.

tl;dr the SP is good but short, the MP is fun if you like spawnkilling.