Home Technical Talk

pathdeform problem

NBLM
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
NBLM polycounter lvl 13
Hello, i have a problem with the pathdeform modifier.
What i want is to model this engine "cap".

problemq.jpg
The problem is that it deforms my mesh not uniform, some areas are clinched and some are streched.
But I want to spread those rectangles evenly across the shape.
I tryed it with the pathdeform wsm and pathdeform modifier, mainly the same.

Normally I avoid working with splines, but in this case I think there is no way around. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Replies

• imperator_dk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imperator_dk polycounter lvl 10
    Add more evenly distributed vertices to your deformation spline, makes it more painful to work with but it should fix the uneven length of the ridges somewhat.
  • imperator_dk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imperator_dk polycounter lvl 10
    Btw why didnt you create the shape from an edge loop on the model on the right ?

(Edit poly , select edge loop you want to make a spline from, click "create shape from selection")
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should probably reset xform on the spline before deforming, it could of carried over some scale problems if you did "create shape from selection". Also go into spine > vert mode, select all the verts, right click and set to corner. Then use refine to round it out properly. You'll get some weird issues sometimes if there is any kind of interpolation going on.
  • NBLM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NBLM polycounter lvl 13
    Actually it is a "create shape from selection" spline. I think thats also the reason why it is
    so stretched, because my vertices of my control mesh aren't evenly distributed, didn't thought about it.

Anyways, to refine the spline solved the problem.

Thanks Vig&imperator