Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Comicon 2010 Challenge - Cable

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
Hoy.

I've been working on the Comicon challenge for the past month over at gameartisans and thought id post on here to see what kind of feedback the polycount community may have. Right now im getting close to the end so im just going through and polishing whats left.

Any crits and comments are welcome. Cheers.

Final high poly:
14o7g3c.jpg

Low poly model (11,964 triangles):
fuut2.jpg

Current texture progress:

29zr77s.jpg

Replies

• snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    wow i love it!

is the high poly done entirely in zbrush?
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The boots, metal forearm, chest and back armor were done in zbrush. The grenade, gun, clips etc were done in Max. As I didn't have an initial concept, I thought it would be faster to create a prototype in zbrush and ended up using it as my final high poly mesh.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    really nice sculpting man... the hards came out great. did you use z sketch for the arm to get the tuby base?
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    The sculpting and modeling of the body and armor are great. The little add-ins, props, etc. really bring him to life and your low poly bake is excellent!

Keep working the texture but it is looking nice thus far.

Some suggestions.... just MPO:

I love the Wolverine claw marks, but I don't like them on his cybernetic arm. Putting the claw marks on that part of him conflicts with the contour lines that define the shapes and forms of his muscles.

Work on some more variation between the cybernetic arm and the rest of the metal. These need to feel more like two completely separate materials, both being metal, but the arm really needs to feel like a different kind of metal, aside from just the contour lines. A really nice colored spec map and gloss map will dial the separation of these two. Maybe make the armor metal a warm tone, and the arm metal a cool tone. More of a wide spec on the armor, and a glossy spec on the arm. Mix these two up so they really feel like separate entities.

At the same time, the metal armor and the leather have a very close specular value... try and separate these as well.

Finally, I'm just not a fan of the face. I think he looks a lot like Edgar from Men in Black. Maybe it's just me, but I can't help but picture him saying "Sugar. In water. More." Maybe if you move some stuff around slightly... close his eyelids more... pull his head forward somewhat and tilt it down so it doesn't look like he's pulling his chin into his neck... little stuff.

What do you have in mind for the pedestal?!?
  • PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    To be perfectly honest, it just looks like a stock UT3 character. Don't get me wrong, that's some excellent sculpting and texturing, but I think the concept could have been pushed further to make it really shine.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    PatrickL wrote: »
    To be perfectly honest, it just looks like a stock UT3 character. Don't get me wrong, that's some excellent sculpting and texturing, but I think the concept could have been pushed further to make it really shine.

I somewhat agree, but I like the fact that it looks like a familiar "Epic" character. Current Marvel games look a bit bland to me in character direction.

Here's a video showing Cable in Marvel: UA2
    http://kotaku.com/5388539/marvel-ultimate-alliance-2-hooks-up-cable

I like the updated look, but I'd take Baj Singh's presentation of Cable over any Marvel game to date.
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the feedback.
    did you use z sketch for the arm to get the tuby base?

Nah, used splines in Max.
    I love the Wolverine claw marks, but I don't like them on his cybernetic arm. Putting the claw marks on that part of him conflicts with the contour lines that define the shapes and forms of his muscles.

I agree completely, we had this discussion at work today. Fortunately they were added via Crazybump so I can just take them out of the bump map and create a new normal.
    Work on some more variation between the cybernetic arm and the rest of the metal. These need to feel more like two completely separate materials, both being metal, but the arm really needs to feel like a different kind of metal, aside from just the contour lines. A really nice colored spec map and gloss map will dial the separation of these two. Maybe make the armor metal a warm tone, and the arm metal a cool tone. More of a wide spec on the armor, and a glossy spec on the arm. Mix these two up so they really feel like separate entities.

I'll have a play around with this tonight and see if I can get the desired effect.
    Finally, I'm just not a fan of the face. I think he looks a lot like Edgar from Men in Black. Maybe it's just me, but I can't help but picture him saying "Sugar. In water. More." Maybe if you move some stuff around slightly... close his eyelids more... pull his head forward somewhat and tilt it down so it doesn't look like he's pulling his chin into his neck... little stuff.

Really?, I was quite happy with the head. I'll have to think about this one.
    What do you have in mind for the pedestal?!?

Not sure yet. For the front/back shot im going to keep the base quite simple. For the actual beauty shot im probably going to make it look like a comic book cover (if I can get a decent dynamic pose).

Most of my reference was from UT/Gears of War which was the approach I was going for. I wanted to make a relatively bulky character and I felt that the armor would help push this feeling. I just hope theres enough differentiation to give it some uniqueness.
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    that is pimp! good job!
  • zxcman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zxcman polycounter lvl 10
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally managed to get this guy finished. It was a good learning process and I very happy with the result.

alhumx.jpg

xzqyq.jpg

xpxjd.jpg
  • lildragn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lildragn polycounter lvl 17
    COngrats on finishing. Came out great! Good luck in the voting.

~t
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    head is um small?
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Damn. All aboard the cable train baby!
  • JeremyRM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JeremyRM polycounter lvl 8
    He's about 7 and half heads tall which is accurate for a marvel hero.

I think the details in the boots are getting a little muddy but that's just nitpicking.

Looks great man, grats!
  • frwanque
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frwanque polycounter lvl 6
    Hoo nice Stuffe prety neat!
  • Rayph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rayph polycounter lvl 13
    This came out awesome, was watching this for a bit. Never thought I would see an iteration of cable of I would like so much.

Best of luck in the voting!