Home General Discussion

Interested a career change, maybe teaching

Anyone here change careers recently? The game industry and its issues are getting a bit old, even though I love being on a good dev team, rocking a great project.

I'm thinking of switching gears, becoming a teacher, maybe put these years of experience to good use, help introduce another wave of artists to game development.

Any advice or thoughts welcome.

Replies

• Stinger88
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Yeah. I'm interested in becoming a teacher also. A buddy of mine is doing his teacher training this year. My sister is an Art teacher as well. I hadn't really thought about doing it until I got made redundant a few months back. I've got another job now but I'm seriously considering starting the course next September. There always seems to be tons of Art teaching jobs available here in the UK.

I'd also like to find out about teaching in Canada. Is there a shortage of art teachers there, like it seems there is here? Has anyone here moved to Canada to do a teaching job? Any info would be great.
  • evilblah
    Offline / Send Message
    evilblah polycounter lvl 18
    Hey guys, this is something I can really speak on seeing as how I worked in the Game Industry, then switched to teaching and now I am back to the game industry.
    Here are some pros and cons.

Pros:
    You get a surprising amount of free time to work and develop your own projects. Even more so if you really know the subject you are teaching and do not need prep time.

You become confident speaking in front of crowds and answering questions on the spot.

You have to teach all elements of design and art so you become a very well rounded artist. Even though I hate this title, a 3d Generalist.

If you get a full-time position, the money isn't bad and the guaranteed work is really nice. Usually colleges don't like constant hire/fire cycles. If you get someone in, train them, if they are good. Keep them! Make them want to stay. Students will actually WANT to come to the school and learn from them.

Cons:
    You might have to fight for your classes because there are many other teachers that can teach the class. So no guaranteed work.

It is even more difficult for a college to hire someone full-time when they can have several teachers part-time.

You have to deal with students that really don't give a damn and are only there because mommy and daddy sent them.

You can really lose track of what is happening in the art world and all the new techniques that are being developed because it isn't in your face.
    There are a bunch more but that is just a few to start. I didn't want to over do the thread. Feel free to ask any questions you want or PM me.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah even I am getting a bit weary these days.I would n't really know what else to do though. Been doing art stuff since 1988.
  • Bronco
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    Without sounding to much like an arse kisser...

I think this would be fantastic all round if you made that move Eric, your knowledge,experience and insight is very hard to match and your contributions and advice on Polycount over the years as been second to none and im sure many many people (myself included) have learnt alot from you.

If I ever got into a position of hiring people and I had soemone that said they were taught by Eric Chadwick, id definatily take an extra few minutes to run rule over them as I know they have been taught by one of the best.

Stinger88- Is there STILL a shortage of art teachers in this country? (UK)...it seems everybody I know has gone into teaching at some level or other becuase at the moment its the most secure job.

On an unrelated note when I went to my weekly Life Drawing last week I was shocked to find several of my old art teachers there from my school days, turns out my old tutor was exibiting at the centre...never saw my teachers artwork as a student, which I think is bad practice, personally, but got quite insight into her work last week. (if you guys become teachers, for the sake of the children please show your work :) )

Good luck with whatever decisions you make Guys,

John
  • evilblah
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, on a side note. Depending on the school/college they may take your industry experience in-loo of teaching credentials. I don't have any teaching credentials but taught at two different colleges for 6 years. One college I taught at for 5 (ITT-Technical Institute-Digital Entertainment and Game Design Degree) and the other for 2 (Moorpark Community College-Multimedia Degree) years.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Hey Bronco, thanks man, I appreciate this! Hopefully I can live up to that. :poly139:

Thanks evilblah for the +-. There is a local ITT, am sticking some feelers out. Also talking some with an Aii here. There are quite a few schools around the Boston area.
  • XenoKratios
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    Guys try colleges, I hate college teachers... when you help your teachers with 3DS max.. something is wrong.

I would love to see some wicked awesome teachers in schools!
  • Campaignjunkie
    Offline / Send Message
    Campaignjunkie polycounter lvl 18
    If you're okay with moving to New York, I'm pretty sure Parsons or ITP @ NYU would like to get an experienced game artist lecturer.

They're getting gradually more and more games-focused. Maybe you could serve as some sort of adjunct lecturer? I had no art experience but they liked my portfolio.

Anyway, it can't hurt to send out an e-mail!
  • moof
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    Guys try colleges, I hate college teachers... when you help your teachers with 3DS max.. something is wrong.

I would love to see some wicked awesome teachers in schools!

Adding: I'd really like to point out from a student perspective, that the teachers out there for the most part are horrible. If it's not a big name school, the teachers seem to be either:

out of date (as in, not teaching current level technologies)

or really not very... good teachers. They are guys or gals with some skills, but more interested in a paycheck, than in really teaching.

A lot of the teachers are also people who couldn't actually 'cut it' in the industry.

It'd be really rockin to see people who actually know something teaching these kids. It'd probably really help grow the industry, up our quality, and keep jobs here.
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I'm teaching a class at Champlain College here in Montreal next semester.

Last summer I was on the verge of switching to being a fulltime instructor at another school.

I'd be on that in a heartbeat.
  • XenoKratios
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    Man I had a guy who worked on Bioshock and Bioshock 2 as a teacher, he was second year, and I didn't get to be his student but I heard that he mostly just ran around and had substitutes for his students...

He also denied a lot of jobs while in class... that i didn't get... why is your phone on in class big guy? Anyhow... I'm not saying they were bad people, just unmotivated... They got an awesome position.. and they teach crap... we even had a mo-cap studio... broadcasting students used it...
  • IchII3D
    Offline / Send Message
    IchII3D polycounter lvl 12
    I think a lot of it is down to personal motivation, I myself have thought about teaching for a long time as its another passion of mine. Unfortunately I'm enjoying the industry right now so its going to have to wait. I'm surprised to see how many people have been thinking about it though... I didn't realise the competition would be so popular, I was planning on becoming a teacher when I have kids and settle down as I don't want to be working 50-60hours and never see them :(

EDIT: Just to add, how many people here love there job in the industry. But get pissed of by the bureaucracy that it has become in big projects? That's one of the major killers for me and is why I can't see myself staying after... 6-10years.
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 15
    Sweden always need good teachers for their 3d game art educations, living in Sweden is really nice and has many perks. We got around 4-5 schools really focused on game development usually 2-3 year educations. Just something you might want to check out, I bet they'll be interested!
  • Elyaradine
    Offline / Send Message
    Elyaradine polycounter lvl 11
    Come teach in South Africa! :P Our game industry's almost nonexistent (although there are little batches of indie games popping up all over the place, filled with programmer art), so there isn't enough experience in general to warrant game art courses. Doesn't stop schools from offering them though.

T'would be ossum! ^_^
  • cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    First of all, if someone asked, "Hey Eric Chadwick is teaching this class. Should I take it?" Without hesitation, I'd would say, "Yes!" Because we've both been around a long time, and not only do you giving everything to the communities you support, but you also document the advice of others. It's one thing to say "hey I'm the shit", and another to accept everyone elses' shit as useful information.
  • Tom Ellis
    I used to teach before I got into 3D about 4 years ago. Admittedly I taught music and not art but it was a creative subject nonetheless and from that I would give you one piece of advice.

Make sure you find somewhere that has students who chose to study that subject themselves.

I taught in schools where I had a class of kids whose parents had obviously thought 'Ok so our kid is a bit creative, let's put him/her in music class', or 'Our kid likes to listen to music, obviously they should study music', or of course in the worse case 'Hey we like music, our kid should study music'.

This tends to happen at younger age groups but if you teach secondary school kids, certainly here in England you will teach classes between ages 11 and 18 and at least half of those years will have compulsory art/IT classes. So the kids won't be there voluntarily.

It was so horrible to try and teach a subject to people who had little interest in it, in fact it's a lost cause and very depressing. Also, you find that there might be one or two kids in class who genuinely do want to learn, but the others in the room spoil it for them because they're bored and just want to mess around. This is the saddest part and takes all the fun away.

However, I also taught privately to students who had specifically chosen the given subject.

This was enjoyable and rewarding. It's a fantastic feeling knowing you're responsible for someone elses development and knowing you have passed on skills to another person.

It definitely seems like a great 'exit strategy' from working in the industry, and as others have said, I think you'd make an awesome teacher. You have always replied to me with knowledge, good will and patience and I think those three traits make a good teacher.

Hope that helps a little and good luck with whatever you choose.
  • crazyfool
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    I would love to get into teaching, I get asked alot but its always wrong place, wrong time. If you have the opportunity then definetly take it :) theres a big lack of teachers in games that actually know what they are doing and have such experience as you.

I think Im in the same boat where the games industry is very unstable at the moment. I love working on games but the 'here one day gone the next' is a real worry. And the thought of raising a family or even paying rent puts unwanted worry on your shoulders. freelance has been very good to me but its still as unstable as a studio job.

My ladies trying to become an art teacher for junior/primary schools and it just sounds awesome. You get great pay and loads of holiday, only thing is you have to do alot of work in the evenings and stuff with lesson planning and marking etc. But its far less stressful than fulltime studio work. It would be ideal if you were raising a child aswell due to the holidays and stuff.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i'd be interested in being your student...
  • Eric Chadwick
    Thanks for the compliments, they mean a lot to me.

Hmm, about bad teachers. Yeah, it's a problem, but true in every profession. Though mentors/leads/teachers being more influential makes it a bigger problem.

Well I think the best situation is where both are learning from each other. I feel I should never assume a teacher knows best, critical thinking is always essential for me, no matter the source. In my experience, when I've taught others on my teams, the learning has always been a two-way street. Have to push the ego out of the way to get things done.

Not interested in moving at present, thanks for the leads though. Looking to stay in the Boston area if at all possible, but you never know, things may change.

I actually love working in game development, even with this industry's prevalence of really bad management practices. I love seeing the game develop, all the while working with a team of people with a range of very different skills. That whole team dynamic can be pretty invigorating, and the people are generally really passionate about their work.

But I've worked my way into a bit of a corner now. I've aligned myself at the technical end of art, but I don't really love coding, so a Tech Art role doesn't really fit. I'm a 3D generalist with a ton of experience, but I'm looking for work in a recession, and in a small geographic area, and in an industry that tends to want to fill specific roles. There's work in the indie sphere, where generalists are more needed, but the pay tends to be 1/2 the industry standard, and the companies tend to be unstable.

Teaching seems like it would be a natural progression. I've taught before, it's annoying having some disinterested students, but there is that great reward of seeing a select few students get their mojo working, and really improve.

More ideas welcome.
  • Ben Apuna
    FWIW I think you'd be a great teacher Eric, I really can't think of anyone more qualified to teach the subject of creating art for real time CG than you.

I'm a bit surprised that you say you're moving away from being a Tech Artist. I've always looked up to you as a Tech Artist role model. Your Technical Artist Guidelines have been a great insight and help to me since I've been thinking of taking the Tech Art route myself lately.
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    I work as a teacher. Started doing so right after college, not because I couldn't get a job, but I guess for several reasons.
    Evilblah makes some very good points I agree with all the Pro's, they're definitely true for me as well. Best thing for me is having to teach a class about a subject I'm not comfortable with yet; forces me to learn something new and get it to a level that is a benchmark for the students. It's very cool if some of them surpass that benchmark even:)

The cons are a bit different for me:

-When you teach really basic classes (like 3DS Max starters) there's no challenge and thus not much fun in it for you as teacher.
    -In those beginner classes there will be a ton of very bad students, that will never get it, they just really, really suck. They take up a lot of time and energy and can really drain you (for me the problem here is I have to teach like 60 people at once). Especially in the earlier years the balance between good/average students to super-noobs is way off.
    -This is probably not true in America, but our schools are government funded, so there's always silly budget issues. The higher-ups always make a fuss out of spending: it can take months to get a new laptop, months to get money back on some school expense, etc..
    -In the same line, schools are not that wel organized as (some) game companies. I'm really no fan of the IT-service here (it's like i'm always asking too much), class schedules can get messy and give problems, etc; all that sort of organisation stuff.
    -Again, probably different for America, but pay rise is steady but slow. For a beginner it's really good, but you won't get big pays as a senior.
  • kaptainkernals
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    Having worked as a tutor (adobe applications, mainly PS, AI, ID) - it's not a teacher i know, but it's close enough.

Specially as I would be tutoring an entire class, in a day, as Xoliul said, you get those students that just really suck, and it really saps your energy when you have to explain the most basic of concepts. Especially concepts that use common sense and a bit of looking in the menus.

And it just gets worse when the same student asks you the next day/week how to do the exact same thing. For instance exporting a pdf from indesign is super easy, yet i had to teach a student how to do it.

But then there are rewards, for instance having a student come to you asking how to achieve a certain effect that you've never encountered/done before, it gives a challenge, you learn and the student learns(if you can figure out how to do it).

Then as Xoliul said, you get those students that just surpass the rest of the class.

It's really rewarding, with the couple of students that drain you, but the amount of "free" time is awesome.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Knowing what you know now, what questions would you guys have asked of a potential school?

Also how was the curriculum usually developed? Did they hand you a fully-formed course guide, or did you have to develop something from scratch. More likely a mix, but how much was your input?

About the Tech Art, a role model eh? Wow, thanks. I think that could be just my management skills talking, more than anything else. But maybe I should re-consider Tech Art as a career. Coding is interesting, but I've never really gotten a huge thrill from it either. Hmmm. Still pondering that one.
  • evilblah
    Offline / Send Message
    @Xoliul - Right on, I agree completely. Those cons are the same here as well. I just didnt list them all earlier. =) When I first started teaching I asked the school for 1 PS2, 1 XBox, and 1 Gamecube. I wanted the school to have the systems so I could bring in games and share them with students and have a lot of the students play so they know what is out there and get more familiar with games. Many of them were not gamers. The school purchased an XBox, a year later a PS2 and never got around to buying the Gamecube because they were just too expensive. Mind you, I could have purchased all three systems for around $200 back in 2004. They are tight and do not want to spend money at all!

@Eric Chadwick - As far as the curriculum is concerned, it really depends on the college. ITT did not and would not allow for any curriculum changes. There curriculum is really bad. I had to take it upon myself to teach the class industry information. I ended up creating my own curriculum and teaching that.

At Moorpark Community College, however, they would actually hold meetings to develop new curriculum and any and all could come and contribute. Very refreshing and a lot of times they deferred to me because I had industry experience. It was a lot of fun.

You have a great skill set, a TON of talent and it sounds like you would have some fun teaching! I say go for it! You can always come back to the industry after sometime or who knows, you might just enjoy teaching so much that you do it professionally!!
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Hah evilblah, I thought every school in the US had piles of money? It sounds worse in your case than here, compared to that we would actually get those requests filled, it's just bigger ones they can be difficult about.
    You say you worked in Moorpark? I drove through there when I was in cali in july. I remember thinking how much nicer it seemed than LA and how I really wouldn't mind living there. I think with the way things are now, I might have more chance finding a job as a teacher abroad than in the actual industry...

For the curriculum: we can do any changes we want really, it's quite free, we just have to meet a few government guidelines. It really does improve every year I think.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Do it Eric! Like other people said your contributions to PC and the wiki are so great. You'll do so well at it. I took the leap teaching over a year ago and I love it. I work with some great artists that motivate the students. Nothing makes me happier than having students get jobs in a field they love. If you ever have any questions just ask. As far as curriculum it seems to depend on the school heavily.
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    But maybe I should re-consider Tech Art as a career. Coding is interesting, but I've never really gotten a huge thrill from it either. Hmmm. Still pondering that one.

Try this and see if it interests you.

http://processing.org/

Your a wonderful source of knowledge here. I dont know what your in person teaching style is, but your online is too the point. To bring up the sore point I haven't heard. What is your education background? If you have a Masters in something your almost guaranteed to find something easier/higher paying. Maybe if teaching wont work, you could write instruction booklets on art software focused on the gaming industry.
  • evilblah
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah yes, oXYnary has a good point. One of the reasons why I stopped teaching at the Community College was because they had a full-time position available and I applied for it, made it to the final two. Guess who beat me!? A guy that had no industry experience at all but had a masters degree in some business science thing. I on the other hand only have a bachelors with industry experience... That's the ignorant trying to run a college. What looks better, some guy with a bachelors or some guy with a masters. So he got it and while they offered me classes still I knew that it would dry up fast because this full-time guy needed all the work hours. So I left. *shrug*
  • giles
    Hey Eric,

I'm not sure if you have any ties with 38 Studios, but you might consider looking into RISD, RISD CE, Brown, Univ. of Rhode Island, or J&W? Since 38 is moving to an area with a lot of potential students, it'd be great to have a teacher with your experience in that mix to help develop and recommend interns. It would keep you close to the Boston area too. Just an idea, good luck! :)

http://38studios.com/press-release/38-studios-announces-providence-ri-its-new-headquarters-location

What evilblah says is true though, you may get a case where that Masters will cost you the position... pretty lame, but it's just how University hiring process works.
  • Mark Dygert
    I know a few teachers over at Digipen. Shoot me a PM if you're interested in asking them questions directly about what's it like to land a teaching job and what its like teaching day in and day out.

From what I've gleaned, getting the credentials to teach is a HUGE pain if you've not already been down that road. Basically you need to hold a higher degree than what you're teaching in order to even step in the classroom. Considering most of the industry vets are self taught this is a huge stumbling block to schools, and why so many non-accredited schools pop up and blow the doors off of the accredited schools.

Outside of that, most students are unmotivated and apathetic to learning, especially in the lower level learning where most are either looking to skate by or will probably drop out. Most just want step by step instructions to achieve an end result. They are looking for hard and fast rules to follow (trashcans must be 16 conjoined polys EXACTLY, ALWAYS!) instead of learning theory and how to evaluate their own specs.

You also have to be part entertainer and really work to get them interested in some pretty technical boring stuff.

There is so much that distracts you and them from teaching and learning it can be discouraging. But there are normally a few students that make it worthwhile and those ratios increase at the higher levels and at places that have discriminating entry processes in place.
  • Saiainoshi
    Offline / Send Message
    Saiainoshi polycounter lvl 9
    I teach when my work schedule permits it. It's one of the most rewarding experiences to see budding little artists grow and become awesome! I teach an intro to 3d max class and cover a little bit of everything. Make sure your class size is as small as possible so you can get face time with all your students, it REALLY makes the difference. When I was making my curriculum, I thought back to when I was in college and what I struggled with the most. I approach my class as if no one in it has even seen/touched 3d so they can really understand the fundamentals before charging in headfirst. I try to teach them to make good decisions while modeling and that streamlining their process is very important. I think about my process at work and what I do to improve for my job. I take this and apply it to my class once they have all the fundamentals down.

I'd say go for it if you're passionate about it :)
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Are you just gonna show them the polycount wiki as your first class :P

Just kidding, you would make an awesome teacher. Would be sweet to be enrolled in your class.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Thanks folks!

I have a Bachelors. Apparently you need at least a Masters for a full-time Faculty spot, but there seem to be plenty of opportunities for Adjunct (part-time) positions. I guess I could pursue the MA degree if teaching turns out to be something I like.

Yeah I know a few people at 38, and they're certainly ramping up big time. I also have ties with RISD. Cool idea!

Thanks for that bit of insight Saiainoshi!

Heh, wiki. That's a good idea... hmmm.
  • Spark
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    I personally do both, and will be adding more to my teaching roll at 2 colleges coming up here soon. I wish more of us did this, as honestly if more professionals did step in to teach, the quality that was coming into our industry would improve. Not saying every student of mine I would hire:), just that hopefully I have done some good and helped someone get better with the little bit of knowledge I know.

Spark
  • evilblah
    Offline / Send Message
    Right on Spark, I got a student from back in '04 that has worked at a couple game companies. I'm gonna drop his name cause you guys gotta keep an eye for him, Joel Rivera. He is a really talented environment artist and one of my closest friends(I just went to his wedding), and I am honored to have been his teacher. I know his inherit ability and desire to succeed contributed mostly to him doing what he is doing but I am glad that I know I forced him to learn hot keys in the beginning! Ha!
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    @Eric: Is the college system down in the US where you just need to have experience in the field you are teaching? It's like that down here in Canada. You need a masters to teach in a university but for college you just need experience which is kinda bad because we could have teachers who worked in the industry ages ago and they could teach.
  • ceebee
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    Hey Eric, I'm attending Gnomon School over here in Hollywood (from Boston myself). Been here for about a year, we have tons of great instructors but I'm sure they'd pick you up in a second. You could also possibly teach an online class if you'd be up for it. I had my Poly Modelling 2 instructor teaching from London, so it's definitely an option if you want. I know I sure as hell would attend it.

Plus I haven't seen many other Polycounters here at Gnomon :[

If you want me to forward you over to the guy who sets up the classes just throw me a PM.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 19
    @haiddasalami: Funny thing, College & University pretty much mean the same thing in the US.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Yeah, depends on the school, some require teaching credentials. Might have to do with their accreditation?

ceebee, that would be great if you could! Will PM.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I've thought about this a few times myself. One of my concerns though is that there's already around ten times as many games courses and 100 times as many students coming out of them than our Australian industry can support. It's only going to get worse when our dollar sky-rockets above the US one and wipes out the rest of the local studios next year.

I'm not sure I want to be 'part of the pollution', so to speak.