Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First Head Sculpt

Cyph3r
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
Hey all, this is my first post in a long time. I stopped doing 3D for ages because I lost motivation because nothing I made was any good. But I've decided to start again and I've got two models on the go.

Here's the first one I made, it's a quick sculpt of a head done in Mudbox using the default head basemesh which looks like this:

HeadSculpt_Start01.jpg

I was just randomly sketching on it, not working from any concepts or anything, just making it up as I went along. It's not very good as its the first head sculpt I've ever done and I've only worked on it for a couple of hours:

HeadSculpt_03.jpg

No where near done yet though.

What does everyone think?

Replies

• woody_294
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool! Looks like human: underwater vaiant.
  • Cyph3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks woody :)

I've done some basic ears;
    HeadSculpt_04.jpg
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    cool..its missing a nose o_O
  • NiklasT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NiklasT polycounter lvl 7
    Pretty cool. I'm getting the idea of some form of gills in his head. When he swims the water flows in where his nose should be and he breaths through his "nose".
  • Cyph3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks guys, I'll work on it some more : )

Has anyone got any comments on how I could improve it?
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangarang polycounter lvl 11
    I think the biggest issue is that you don't really know where you are going with this. Without any sort of concept, artistic direction with what you're trying to accomplish, it's a bit hard to give you any helpful feedback.
  • Cyph3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for that comment, I get what you mean and I agree, but I'm not really going anywhere with this, it's staying as a head.

I just wanted to know how I could improve what I've already, like if there's anything really wrong with it.
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Agreed with pangarang, i think why you confused with what to do is because there is no direction. If you the creator is confuse, how can anyone can understand what you should do?..you're not even confirm about the woody_294's "underwater vaiant" direction.

Let's say you just creating a basic human head and you asking "if there's anything really wrong with it", the answer you get will very much obvious..it's missing the nose. Eyebrows doesn't connect that sharp with the nose bridge. And on a normal human head you wouldn't get that flat top, round 'em up a bit.

I'm suggesting why don't you grab someone's photo, preferably your favorite artist/ family/ someone you know best, then model from them. With this you can clearly tell which part that doesn't looks right with your sculpt easily because unconsciously your mind with keep criticizing your work with something like "he/ she doesn't looks like that" because you already familiar with the "final" look..

I hope you can get something here, and don't forget to keep posting!
    Cheers!

_Revel
  • Cyph3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
    LOL

Thanks for the comment Revel, but I dont think I was clear enough as I thought it was obvious, I'm not making a human head, I was just doing a random alien sculpt.

I know what a human looks like and it'd be abit weird if I sculpted this head as a human head as I'm way off ;p
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Heheh..I'm just teasing you :) since you haven't got any clear direction..I'm afraid you'll lose interest in 3D again and polycount might lost 1 possible great artist if you leave the forum..

The point is even having a clear direction might turn you off when in paper it looks great but in 3d doesn't looks as good as in paper. And it's even worst if you don't have any direction in the first place. Practice head sculpting is good, but I'm suggesting you start with a normal human head. When you looks into an alien/ monster picture you can notice that it's obviously come from human anatomy, only deformed..Also when sculpting human head "without any" direction, chance are you get good critic from people in here because...well, it is human, that everybody familiar with..But if you post an alien head "without any" direction, chance are you not gonna get good critic simply because people not familiar with alien head (and alien got limitless variety, in fact it depends on each individual's imagination). That's why for starting I suggest you sculpt your girlfriend's head (if available lol), or your family or any other people that you familiar with the face. Post the wip and post the reference pic, I'm sure you going to learn a lot by people's good critic. You can learn the skill of attention to detail too if you read the comments and implement it into your model. Good luck dude!

_Revel
  • Cyph3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for that Revel, I get what you're saying, I'll try doing a normal human head : )