Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Blood Bawl

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
feanix polycounter lvl 7
I'm doing a character from Bloodbowl to brush up on my character skills. To help get myself in the mood I've been working on some of the props I'm going to include in the final piece.

Concept art (by the makers of the Bloodbowl Vidyagaem)
ball-final.jpg

And my models (in UDK)
UsUiT.jpg

Replies

• KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    Your model looks more like a rugby ball than a football. o_o
  • feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    I didn't realise there was much of a difference. :/
  • KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    Rugby balls tend to have rounded ends while footballs have slightly tapered ends.
  • Kewop Decam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kewop Decam polycounter lvl 9
    naw, it's looks like a football, but more like an NCAA football versus an NFL football (which are different). NCAA footballs are fatter like yours is.

Only issue I have with it is the color. You're is really saturated and red like a kid's football. Get that brown leather look and a better spec map to make the material feel better and as if it's truly stained with dry blood and dirt..

Is ther a reason your spikes are much bigger than the concept? Just a choice you made?
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    Not sure about dimensions (never seen an american football - only rugby ball)

But looking at images, a football is pointier at the ends, where as a rugby ball is slightly rounder:

football:

micro-american-football.jpg

rugby ball:

VapourC2_p6_0018copy.jpg
  • feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    Well, I can adjust the taper quite easily :3
  • Kewop Decam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kewop Decam polycounter lvl 9
    It could be more pointed.

Your football is too smooth also. Footballs have that studded grip so it doesn't slip out of one's hands so easily. Also why does your football have tennis shoe like holes for the laces? I've never seen a football with that. It's just plain ol' holes. Also you need that stitching around the laces.
  • feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    I adjusted the pointy factor of the ball and added some bumps as well as the stitching around the laces.

I'm going to leave the metal eyes around the holes for the laces because I like them. Makes the ball look sturdier.

qWchn.jpg
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    You're losing a lot of definition in your textures by rushing to add the blood spatter and dirt smudges too quickly. The underlying ball textures are really indistinct right now, and that's what's going to really sell your model. What size are you working at when making your textures?

I'd focus on nailing the overall colors and textures of the ball first, almost as if you're making one you'd see in a sports store, then start adding the battle damage.

Remember, less is more.
  • feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    Hmm, it'd be tough to change the battle damage since it was all painted in in zbrush many moons ago, before numerous time consuming bakes that would have to be redone. I definitely see your point, though. I think in future I'll try to add details like mud and blood in photoshop unless I absolutely have to do it in ZBrush.