Home General Discussion

Nintendo 3DS launch video

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
hawken polycounter lvl 19
Well, the date is set for the 3DS, here's the video: (Feb. 26 in Japan)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ggta_FpzQOg[/ame]

I found it a bit creepy to be honest.

Replies

• Tom Ellis
    I love it! Although that opinion could possibly be jaded by the fact I'm so excited about the product.

I really hope it's region free or that the EU/US release isn't like 6 months later as it usually is with Nintendo handhelds.

Trailer looked good I thought, the whole ninja friending thing was a little weird and I'm not sure my reaction to opening my DS to a load of new friends would be in quite the same vain as the girl in the vid.. certainly not where I live at least.

I loved the bit where the older guy gets Mii-ified.

Is the product design final? It doesn't look quite as sleek or 'finished' as the DS Lite/i/XL. Although I guess the original DS was very much like that.
  • eld
  • Davision3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Was creepy to me that the 3DS connects to random people just by walking by them. Not much games on launch i guess, though snaker eater looks really good.
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    One thing that the commercial has spot on: Everyone and their grandmother has a DS in Japan.
  • Calabi
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Looks pretty cool, cant wait to get one. Developers better make proper fookin games though. Was that wireless recharging at the end?
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Can the 3DS play all DS games? Never ended up getting a DS but if it can I would totally pick up a 3DS to be able to play some DS games like Zelda and junk.

Will wait for second version of 3DS to come out though as it seems Nintendo always dose a second iteration a year later that makes the first one not nearly as cool anymore.
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    yep, 3ds is supposedly fully ds/dsi compatible.
  • BlackulaDZ
    looks pretty awesome, but 300 bucks is a little steep for me
  • Richard Kain
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    It's not necessarily going to be $300 for the U.S. They might price it as low as $250. Discrepency in regional pricing has been pretty common for Nintendo's recent hardware.

Of course, it may very well end up being $300 USD. With the PSP and the PSP Go doing as poorly as they are, Nintendo would only be competing against themselves in the handheld arena. There have been no announcements from any of the big three for new home consoles either. So when the 3DS launches, it will be the only new hardware platform for 2011. The novelty factor alone is going to make it the must-have gift of holiday 2011. They'll be selling out despite a hefty $300 USD price tag.

I don't know what plans Sony has for the PSP2, but they have their work cut out for them. I'm thinking Nintendo is going to steam roll over the PSP's successor before its even announced.
  • TheBladeRoden
    Interesting that they take this new stance on how easy it is to friend people. Considering on the Wii you had to jump through so many privacy protection hoops it wasn't even worth it in the end.
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I kinda want it, but it's a tad too pricey for me, and with my lifestyle, handhelds really don't make sense. If I want to play video games, I always have a PC or a console nearby...
  • HonkyPunch
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    300 dollars?
    I just hope I don't have to play games with a stylus. D:
  • bounchfx
    I'm going to assume $250 or $270, but they could always put a Sony tax on it and sell it for 300, simply because it would sell out regardless, and probably go for $600 on eBay. Seriously. that said I'm totally getting one day 1, but I really, REALLY hope it's not $300.
  • Calabi
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    The price I've seen is £200 hundred pounds which translates roughly to $200 dollars the way they work.

Besides the point, Nintendo arent going to price there own product out of the market, above the DS prices it will not get the DS'S sales. They know the prices people are willing to pay.
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    I was gonna order one of them (import) but then I saw the price AND the fact it wont have Zelda/RE at launch... Then my heart kinda sank :(

Looks like I'll pick one up when they hire a better designer who can get rid of those god ugly buttons and colours for half the price/weight.
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    Still have my 1st generation DS that was picked up on launch. Still use it. It's ugly as hell.

Nintendo will sell at cost + a little profit one would guess, as they always sell to cover costs, not to get market infiltration on hardware like Sony and Xbox