Home General Discussion

gog.com shut down

Replies

• aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Really? Do you just not want to admit that their marketing ploy was a success?
  • acc
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    glynnsmith wrote: »
    Sure. On this page alone, there are 3 people that will probably leave the service. And they've gained one customer.

Super smart.
    Because uppity forum dwellers are soooooooo representative of the average person (who didn't even know GoG existed before this). If those three people are so influential, why did GoG feel the need to pull a publicity stunt in the first place?

Plus, the "I hate them now" mentality if BS to begin with. People hated Modern Warfare 2 and bought it anyways. People hated L4D2 and bought it anyways. People hated Ubisoft's DRM and still buy Ubisoft games. People hate Activision in general and still buy Activision games. People hated Steam and now they all use Steam.

The instant GoG shows off a game people want 90% of them will immediately come running back regardless of how hard they may be whining right now. If you're not one of those 90%, good for you, but you're a tiny minority.
  • glynnsmith
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    acc wrote: »
    Because uppity forum dwellers are soooooooo representative of the average person (who didn't even know GoG existed before this). If those three people are so influential, why did GoG feel the need to pull a publicity stunt in the first place?

Plus, the "I hate them now" mentality if BS to begin with. People hated Modern Warfare 2 and bought it anyways. People hated L4D2 and bought it anyways. People hated Ubisoft's DRM and still buy Ubisoft games. People hate Activision in general and still buy Activision games. People hated Steam and now they all use Steam.

The instant GoG shows off a game people want 90% of them will immediately come running back regardless of how hard they may be whining right now. If you're not one of those 90%, good for you, but you're a tiny minority.
    Yes. You know me so well.

Yes. People on the internet ARE allowed to have different opinions of things.

*shrug*

As with everything, there are two camps here - People that think what GoG.com did was great, and people that thing what they did was crappy.

You're in a different camp to me. Moving on...
  • Calabi
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    aesir wrote: »
    Really? Do you just not want to admit that their marketing ploy was a success?

No I just want to wait and see, immediately after the event is no indication of a trend. Also they say traffic, not sales.
  • glynnsmith
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi wrote: »
    No I just want to wait and see, immediately after the event is no indication of a trend. Also they say traffic, not sales.

They've also twisted the truth before. Really, they've gotten 20x the traffic now?

I'd take it with a pinch of salt, tbh.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    This was a successful marketing campaign. No clearer way to say it.

Also - told ya so ;)
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    glynnsmith wrote: »
    They've also twisted the truth before. Really, they've gotten 20x the traffic now?

I'd take it with a pinch of salt, tbh.

Considering that everyone who knew about gog.com already and the new people from the PR campaign all logged in at the same time to see what it was all about, and to download their games they couldn't get yet.

I do not in any way doubt that this PR campaign was a success, nor do I doubt that I'll pick steam or impulse before gog the next time I see a game released on both services.

but still, all we got was baldurs gate?
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    it tips the scale a bit :P
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Due to recent events I have chosen to forgive you, you retarded monks you!
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    If I might interrupt whatever jibber jabber is going on here...
    http://www.gog.com/en/news/new_release_planescape_torment/0
  • glynnsmith
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh shi-

Brb. Eating my own hat...
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Jackablade wrote: »
    If I might interrupt whatever jibber jabber is going on here...
    http://www.gog.com/en/news/new_release_planescape_torment/0

exactly what I was referring to :P

so guys.. what can change the nature of a man...
  • TheWinterLord
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Hehe just bought Planescape Torment from over there... didnt think that it was that site this thread was about... I guess whatever their way was, it worked getting my attention. I saw you could buy the game from there on some other forum(frontpage of gametrailers)...